1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5100's and winter durability

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 10taco, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Feb 23, 2011 at 3:48 PM
    10taco

10taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '23 4X4 DCSB V6 AT SR5/SX MGM
    I have a '10 Taco reg cab 4WD onto which I would like to install 4 Bilstein 5100's for a modest leveling lift (1-2.5"). I live in New England and have concerns about the long-term durability of these shocks when exposed to extreme cold weather. It is normal for my truck, which is kept outside year-round, to experience temperatures as low as -20 F for hours on end. Additionally, frozen slush and ice frequently build up on the entire undercarriage. Would this icy build-up rip apart any components of these shocks? What about the extreme temperatures and the gas charging within the shocks? Thanks in advance for any / all replies. :)

2. Feb 23, 2011 at 4:00 PM
    itsjoe

itsjoe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD o/r 4x4
    35% tint, TRD skidplate, whether techs, AFE-stage 2 intake, 5100's set at 0, eibach springs,17'' atx crawl,265/70/17 nitto trail grapplers, color matched grill
    they'll be fine....i too have 5100's and live in a salty winter hellhole. if you have a trd sport or off-road your truck came with bilsteins from the factory just not the the adjustable ones. all i can say is consider using never-seize when re-assembling your front end. hope this helps

Products Discussed in

To Top