Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Lift Info includes pics

Old 02-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #61
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadahere View Post
I just completed installation of the OME lift from Toytec and I wanted to share my experience. There are two key things everyone must know that Toytec does not tell you when you order their suspension kit.

1. Look forward to replacing your rear axle U-Bolts if they are rusted. I think most OME U-Bolts also have lock nuts so they don't come loose and you cannot re-use them (or you aren't suppose to). If you are planning to do this work, order them in advance. I was not expecting to do this. I took my truck apart and had to find replacement parts in a hurry because I needed my truck to get around for work. The local dealership did not have any so I went to auto parts store and found some cheap replacements. I looked up torque specs for this side and found it to be 90 ft.lbs for a 1/2 bolt diameter. I attempted to install the bolts and while torquing them stripped clean on the bolt threads. I then had to order some bolts online and pay for express shipping. This put me down for a couple days. When I got the new bolts in, I ordered the wrong size so I had to re-order and wait again. So basically, make sure you have replacements before you start the work. I actually broke my U-Bolts when I was trying to remove them, so I would just expect to change them so you are not stuck with no vehicle like I was.

2. You may also need to replace your brake lines with longer ones depending on how high you go. I went with the 3" lift and discovered that my rear brake line was too short. In extreme angles of the rear suspension motion from side to side, the brake line is at risk of breaking. I had to order a new brake line and drive my truck very carefully until then.

Keep on Truckin'

Cheers
Just want to respond to this (even though it's from a while back) since there is discussion in another thread about this particular lift and tire fitment.

For anyone reading this who doesn't know already, you should ALWAYS plan to replace your ubolts when changing leaf springs no matter what. Not just because they are rusty or look damaged. ubolts are designed to stretch. So when installing them you should torque to proper specs and then check them several days later and re-torque to spec because they can stretch slightly and loosen a little.

The quoted post is good advice that you should just order ubolts ahead of time, but I wanted to point out that you should be doing this even if your old ubolts appear to be in good condition.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #62
TattooTacomaGirl is on a distinguished road
TattooTacomaGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! This explains a lot.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #63
Last Straw of Brittfartikus
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooTacomaGirl View Post
Thanks! This explains a lot.
Welcome to TW!

On U-bolts, also be aware that there are different lengths used to accommodate difference in leaf pack thickness, lift blocks, etc. Make sure you get the right length before starting the job.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #64
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome post and a lot of great info! Where were you ten years ago when I was learning the hard way?

I would also recommend a braided brake hose upgrade when lifting your truck, even if it is 2" or less. When you're slogging through the muck in the woods twigs and brush get hung up and can strain dried or worn out brake hose and ruin your day. They can be ordered for almost any lift height.

U-bolts: ALWAYS get new u-bolts and torque properly! After a month or so re-check the torque.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #66
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityAirman7 View Post
So what size u bolts should I order along with a 3" suspension lift, like a Toytech or ome, or bilstein.(not sure which I want yet)
You need to decide on the lift (AAL, blocks, new springs, etc.) then select the correct U-bolts.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #68
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok
Of the three what would you recommend?
Sorry ima noob
spring pack > AAL > blocks.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #69

Quote:
Ok
Of the three what would you recommend?
Sorry ima noob
^^^ What he said, and there's no reason to apologize.

FWIW, if those are the original springs on your '05, they're probably worn out and you'd be best off with new springs. Decide if you want to lift the rear, and if so, how much. Then shop for springs that'll accomplish that ride height. You'll need to consider your uses and typical loads when shopping. Once you select the springs, a lot of retailers will already have U-bolt recommendation.

Another option that may work well with your old springs would be air bags. From what I've read, you have to be careful not to stretch them too much while offroad, but on-road, they work very well. Look for Ride-Rite threads for more information.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #70
jjmacik80 is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
jjmacik80's Tacoma Gallery
3" Pro Comp lift w/ 265/65/18

All work done by 4 Wheel Parts in Orlando,FL. Ask for Pete or Paul
Old 03-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #71
2013 2.7 is on a distinguished road
2013 2.7's Tacoma Gallery
what about shocks?
Old 03-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 2.7 View Post
what about shocks?
You'll need to be a little more specific.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #73
2013 2.7 is on a distinguished road
2013 2.7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
You'll need to be a little more specific.
Bilstein 5100s
Old 03-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #74
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 2.7 View Post
Bilstein 5100s
Check out this link for a FYI on some basics-
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...n/viewall.html

Bilstein is one of the most trusted companies out there, so if you buy a set you're getting a good product. Just make sure you get the right amount of travel for the lift you have and the type of wheeling you'll be doing.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #75
03taco88 is on a distinguished road
03taco88's Tacoma Gallery
3 1/4 in. front lift - 2in rear with 33x11.50x16

Old 03-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #76
magnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MACS2
Name: Matt
magnetic11's Tacoma Gallery
a lot of great info
Old 04-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #77
Tacoma.MM.crf331 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Tacoma.MM.crf331's Tacoma Gallery
Cool Lift my truck higher or put a supercharger?

What do you all think, alright so I have an 2005 Tacoma sport 6speed, and I have a 3inch suspension lift on it now running 33's. I was thinking should I move up to a 6inch suspension lift and put bigger tires, or should I just supercharge it instead and leave it the way it is now?
Old 04-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #78
S.KENNY is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Intern
Name: Shawn
S.KENNY's Tacoma Gallery
a question...

I am looking to level my truck out, I've read that I should get bilstein 5100 and set them at 1.75 and then call the dealership and say my truck is bottoming out with a heavy load in order to get the rear TSB.. is this right?

or can i level it out just by the bilstein 5100 and setting them at .85
Old 04-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.KENNY View Post
a question...

I am looking to level my truck out, I've read that I should get bilstein 5100 and set them at 1.75 and then call the dealership and say my truck is bottoming out with a heavy load in order to get the rear TSB.. is this right?

or can i level it out just by the bilstein 5100 and setting them at .85
I'm not smart enough to understand everything you said, but what stands out is that you want to level the truck instead of lift the truck. I can't wrap my mind around it.

Just get adjustables up front and fine tune them to perfect your ride height. <---BORING.

Your stock springs in the rear are going to go to hell over time, and either sag or snap. Might as well spend the 1k and install an Old Man Emu 2" lift and be done with it.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #80
S.KENNY is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Intern
Name: Shawn
S.KENNY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTA LOVER View Post
I'm not smart enough to understand everything you said, but what stands out is that you want to level the truck instead of lift the truck. I can't wrap my mind around it.

Just get adjustables up front and fine tune them to perfect your ride height. <---BORING.

Your stock springs in the rear are going to go to hell over time, and either sag or snap. Might as well spend the 1k and install an Old Man Emu 2" lift and be done with it.
I have a prerunner so spending 1k on a lift doesn't make sense... I wanna know how to go about getting rear leafs from the dealer via the TSB and what to set the bilstien 5100s at. Also what order to do it in