Notices

Mid Travel

Old 03-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
ARC is on a distinguished road
Army: MGS Gunner, 1-27INF 25th ID
Name: Andrew
ARC's Tacoma Gallery
Question Mid Travel

I see the term thrown around a lot on here but I am not sure what exactly a mid-travel set up consists of. What do you consider mid travel?
Old 03-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
ARC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Ext travel Co's, a Uniball UCA, and 4.5" B.S wheels give's you a Mid travel setup. I pull 10" of travel out of mine with stock LCA's. It's in between stock and LT.
I see, thanks.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:31 AM   #3
ARC's Tacoma Gallery
I am reviving this thread for suggestions on how to build a 2nd Gen mid travel rear end.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
Cheeba Chief
Nicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Nicks4x4LT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC View Post
I am reviving this thread for suggestions on how to build a 2nd Gen mid travel rear end.
maybe a deaver leaf pack and icon remote resi rear shock.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
Cheeba Chief
Nicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Nicks4x4LT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Read through my build thread, I think the rear end would be considered mid travel?
yessir, how are you liking the Icons?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
I am running Fox extended coilovers with Total Chaos Uniball upper arm. Im the back right now I am running Fox (FJ shocks) with a aal....been considering Defineed Engineering SUA, so who knows but the back does keep with the front so I do not really need to change it but ehh
Old 05-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ext travel Co's, a Uniball UCA, and 4.5" B.S wheels give's you a Mid travel setup. I pull 10" of travel out of mine with stock LCA's. It's in between stock and LT.
What would the wheel BS have to do with travel?
Old 05-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
At the tire you would have more travle with a 4.5" BS wheel than you would with a 5.5"BS wheel no?

Idk, random theory that popped in me head.

When I measured mine I went off the hub......
Yeah....the wheels dont have any impact on suspension travel.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Well no shit...............but in theory a 4.5" BS wheel will render more overall travel at the tire.
No it wont. Its not lengthening the arms, wich would in turn increase "travel". Regardless of the BS, it will still only go up and down what the suspension components will allow. If you had a BS of -14 feet, the tire would still go up and down whatever amount the suspension will allow.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #10

Quote:
I wish I was on a pc..........

but compair it to a 5.5BS wheel.........the edge of the tire will stick out 1" farther with a 4.5 BS wheel. Makeing your travel number greater at the edge of the tire. See what I'll saying?

Try it next time you have the shock out........put a stock wheel on, measure from the ground to the edge of the lip at full ext and bumpstop, then subtract the numbers to get the overall travel at the tire. Then do the same with a 4.5" BS wheel. It will be greater with the 4.5"BS wheel, it's geometery.

I see what your saying, but the wheel is fixed to the hub. The hub goes up and down 8" (random number), and when the tire is attached, it too goes up and down 8"....Regardless of the back space.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Yes.....say at the spindle/hub you had 8" of travel, now the edge of the tire sits 4" further past the hub........therefor giving you an overall greater number than the 8" you would measure off the hub when measuring travel.
Nope. The wheel moves along the same plane the spindle does. Longer CA's = more travel. More BS = no more travel. You can have a wheel 19 feet past the hub, its still gonna go up and down only the 8" the suspension allows. If the wheels moved up and down in an Arc, then Yes. More BS would give a little more travel. But, with a double "wishbone" suspension, the wheel travels straight up and down (for the most part), and follows the movement of the spindle. Now, at extreme droop, the edge of the wheel actually goes UP a little bit, as the Camber goes into the negatives to the tune of about 3*, and twards the extreme compression, it goes into posative about 2*, but thats because the Tacoma doesnt use a parallel CA set up. As the suspension droops, the angle of the UCA is at a much steeper angle than the LCA, thus pulling the top of the spindle in a little more. Then on compression, the oposite happens.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Stick your arm out........wave it up and down......does your wrist travel more than your elbow?

I still don't see how that doesn't apply to a wheel that sticks out more than another.
Your arm is connected at one pivot point, and moves in an arc. The Tacoma (and many other vehicles) use CA's to connect the spindle at an upper, and a lower location. They then mount to the spindle in the same respective points. This allows the spindle to move in a vertical plane, while remaining straight up, and not moving in an arc.