Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

2001 Taco, Trying to understand differences in suspension

Old 03-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
Teknishun is on a distinguished road
Teknishun's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Teknishun Send a message via MSN to Teknishun Send a message via Yahoo to Teknishun
2001 Taco, Trying to understand differences in suspension

OK Quick and Dirty....

I bought a 2001 Tacoma 4x4 TRD on 32" BFG All Terrains. Pretty Truck but as you can see the rear sagged a bit.

DSC_9287 by njfourwheeler, on Flickr

I couldn't find any evidence of a front lift so my assumption was that this was a factory height vehicle. Maybe when it had the frame recall performed they installed the wrong rear springs? (The springs were replaced as well during the recall.) In lieu of time and rather than replacing the new springs, I ordered a 1.5" block set and leveled it back out.

2010-12-30_16-17-09_129 by njfourwheeler, on Flickr

I rarely see any other Tacoma TRD models that look this tall and don't know much about the suspension options on these trucks, but it all looks like stock parts to me. Are my assumptions correct? Can i order replacement shocks, ball joints, etc without being concerned about fitment and suspension travel limitations? If it is all stock what differentiates this truck from others when ordering parts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
great looking truck! it looks lifted to me. do you have any pics of the struts/coils?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Send a message via AIM to Teknishun Send a message via MSN to Teknishun Send a message via Yahoo to Teknishun
I'll take some pictures this weekend and post them up.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
Pingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to behold

Pingo's Tacoma Gallery
It definitely looks lifted to me.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, it is lifted. Post some pics from under the front of the truck and also from the side of the top of the coils/UCAs.

Take pictures of the leafs springs and shackles, too.

This is one of the biggest, widest ranging discusison on the forum. Depending on what you want to do/how you want it to look/how you drive it, there are lots of aftermarket coil options that will work. Most people trash the stock coils and shocks, which are notoriously soft and crappy.

For a simple, quality, complication-free lift, you can get OME 881 coils and nitrocharger shocks or Bilstein 5100s without any other mods. This will lift about 1.75 from stock ride height (assuming stock tire size). Downsouth Motorsports and Wheeler's Offroad both have good deal on these linds of setups. At 3 inches of lift, you need to buy a lot more hardware because the driveline and CV angles will start being an issue (from what everyone says. I have never done that).

Did you read the stickys at the beginning of the suspension forum? These are a good place to start to get your head around it.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
Thanks guys. Here are a few photos of the front suspension.

2011-03-04_16-33-53_272 by njfourwheeler, on Flickr

Scratch that... my Droid isn't cooperating, more photos coming soon.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
Here's the rest.

2011-03-04_16-35-34_946 by njfourwheeler, on Flickr

2011-03-04_16-36-26_492 by njfourwheeler, on Flickr
Old 03-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
So these parts look very stock like to me, but obviously the truck sits higher than stock. Is that drop in the lower control arm stock? Why suck long bolts on the front upper spring perch? Any help would be much appreciated. I want to get some front end work done before my next long drive.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
the UCAs and LCAs are stock. my only guess is that the coils are lift coils, possibly OME ("Old Man Emu" -- not to be confused with OEM).

For replacement shocks, a lot of people here like the Bilstein 5100s and/or the OME Nitrogen-charged 90004 shocks. Any balljoints you order should be OEM.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
99tacosupreme has a spectacular aura about99tacosupreme has a spectacular aura about

Name: Kyle
99tacosupreme's Tacoma Gallery
The truck looks great man. the front looks lifted to me. Looks like you have longer coils.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #12
Thanks guys.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #13
I need to order shocks for this truck. Does anyone have part numbers for typical shocks for this application?