1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The new guy has a question!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by leeland26, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Mar 5, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    leeland26

leeland26 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    South Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 Long Bed
    First off, I wanna say hello to everyone! My name is Lee and I live in Louisiana. I am a full-time firefighter/EMT and i absolutely love my career. I just recently bought my very first tacoma. Its only a PreRunner(wanted a 4wd) but i am happy I finally got my tacoma. I have a long list of things that I want to do to it but the very first thing on my list is to do something with the suspension.
    I hunt and fish every chance I get so I am always pulling a boat or have my 4wheeler in the back(thank God I got the long bed!) I am very impressed by the way the 4.0 pulls and handles with the load but what i am not too happy about is the squatting that it does. It looks bad and i like to look good! haha. I have looked at a number of different routes to go but i can not decide which one to choose. One of those is the super springs. Has anyone tried these? and do they work? I also wanted to put a small lift or atleast a leveling kit on it. So i need something that will give it a better stance and also not squat the rear end when loaded down. Please help me because I am no mechanic and i really dont know much about what i am looking at! Thanks for the help!

2. Mar 5, 2011 at 9:03 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Congrats!

As far as the squating, there is a TSB out for it. Read up on this site and you will learn all about it. You can get the rear leaf's upgraded to a 4 leaf from Toyota to help with the towing. Raises the rear end about an inch from what I understand.

3. Mar 5, 2011 at 9:09 AM
    leeland26

leeland26 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    South Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! and i will look that up on here. I usually dont take advice from a Georgia fan but i am desperate! haha. just kidding man. I had buddy of mine from GA that rented out my extra room. We messed with each other back and forth all the time. GEAUX TIGERS! I hope im not making enemies already! lol.

4. Mar 5, 2011 at 9:12 AM
    jobrien

jobrien shit happens then you die

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ontario California
    Vehicle:
    2011 single cab base 4x4
    Bed mat, cleats, scangauge, new headlight bulbs, weather techs, more to come
    FNG!!!LOL naw welcome man from socal

5. Mar 5, 2011 at 9:13 AM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
  6. Mar 5, 2011 at 1:51 PM
    leeland26

leeland26 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    South Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    jobrien- thanks man! always good to hear from a member of the brotherhood! stay safe out there!

tacodawgfan- the tigers roar is always louder than the dogs bark! haha! I read a little bit about the TSB and i didnt see much about the squatting. it as more about the rough ride. I may have been looking at the wrong thing. no telling. I will probably just get some kind of aftermarket suspension to help with the squatting. I just want to get something that will also allow me to put either a small lift or a leveling kit later on. I dont want a big lift or anything bc its only a 2wd. just a good looking stance with a little more clearance.

7. Mar 5, 2011 at 1:54 PM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    the rear tsb is to fix the low squatting and rough ride...they will replace your 3 leaf pack with a 4 leaf pack

8. Mar 5, 2011 at 2:12 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    You won't qualify for the Rear Spring TSB since you have a 2005. Look into upgrading your leaf pack by buying a new set of just getting an AAL. Bilstein 5100s with some OME or Eibach coils would be good for a lift up front.

9. Mar 5, 2011 at 3:31 PM
    leeland26

leeland26 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    South Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    And just by upgrading my leaf pack, it wont squat as much? Just so you know, I remember looking at the manual for my 4wheeler when i bought it and it weighs right around 600 lbs. so will the leaf pack be enough to support around 600lbs?

10. Mar 5, 2011 at 3:36 PM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    Check out the lift kits @ Toytec.com . Welcome to TW:taco::taco::taco::taco::taco::taco::taco::taco::taco::taco::taco::taco::taco::taco::taco:

11. Mar 5, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    leeland26

leeland26 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    South Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    what about the best seller 3" lift on toytech? It has the 2" AAL's. Is that going to be good enough to keep it from squatting? That seems like a pretty good deal for $299! Is that all I am going to need for the install or am I going to need springs too? Sorry for all of the questions but I am not the smartest when it comes to mechanical crap.

12. Mar 5, 2011 at 4:56 PM
    Max-4_Yota

Max-4_Yota The Welfare Cadilac

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    3rd gen Tacoma
    Chicken lights, chrome and smoke tunes.
    Welcome to TW!

13. Mar 5, 2011 at 6:01 PM
    raycie

raycie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    The 2" aal from toytec is a very good one IMO. As for the front, consensus is to shy away from spacers. Read up and maybe you can make the right choice the first time. Plenty of info in the suspension forum...

As for myself, 5100s at 1.75 with the 2" AAL currently. Monday OME 884s will go on 5100s set to 0. Should get a better ride, and between 2-2.25" lift...

Again.. Pretty much ayou could ever want to know is right here in previous postings...

14. Mar 5, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:

Wasn't thinking about the fact the truck has to be in warranty. :facepalm:Sorry.

15. Mar 5, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    leeland26

leeland26 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    South Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    ok i will read up on it a little more. one thing i forgot to mention... My prerunner is not a TRD. Does that make a big difference in what i should choose?

16. Mar 6, 2011 at 12:17 AM
    raycie

raycie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    If I understand correctly, the main differences between the trd and non is the 2 different lockers and the shock/spring combo... If you are going to go with 5100s, your spring rate may be a bit different than the trd, but will still give you the same height. If you go with spring and shocks, you erase the difference ( minus the rear shocks). I have no idea how the oem springs will pair with the non-trd shocks.

My only advice... Try to do it once... And if that means putting it off for a couple of months cause you gotta spend 2 bills more to do it right/better, put it off....

17. Mar 6, 2011 at 12:20 AM
    chaz834

chaz834 Tacoma 4 Life.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Kendrick, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sport MGM
    3'' Tuff Counrty Lift, Moromoto Mini H1 Projectors 5000K 35W, BHLM, 30'' LED Light Bar, Black TOYOTA Emblem, Excelon Touch Screen Deck, Hertz Speakers,Excelon AMP, 2 10'' JL Audio Subs, Wet Okle seat covers, Weather Tech Floor Mats.
    Welcome to TW!

18. Mar 6, 2011 at 4:07 PM
    leeland26

leeland26 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    South Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    damn! i sure wish it was as easy as just getting a lift and not having to worry about all the other bull!! I am mainly concerned about the towing. I just dont want it to squat like it does. has anyone tried super springs or Roadmaster easy fit active suspension kit? the only thing with that is, even if it works, im still paying $300+ just for that. and then when i decide to make it level, i have to spend even more on lifting the front. i just dont know if its going to be any cheaper than just lifting both front and rear.

Products Discussed in

To Top