Notices

The new guy has a question!

Old 03-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
leeland26 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT-B
Name: Lee
leeland26's Tacoma Gallery
The new guy has a question!

First off, I wanna say hello to everyone! My name is Lee and I live in Louisiana. I am a full-time firefighter/EMT and i absolutely love my career. I just recently bought my very first tacoma. Its only a PreRunner(wanted a 4wd) but i am happy I finally got my tacoma. I have a long list of things that I want to do to it but the very first thing on my list is to do something with the suspension.
I hunt and fish every chance I get so I am always pulling a boat or have my 4wheeler in the back(thank God I got the long bed!) I am very impressed by the way the 4.0 pulls and handles with the load but what i am not too happy about is the squatting that it does. It looks bad and i like to look good! haha. I have looked at a number of different routes to go but i can not decide which one to choose. One of those is the super springs. Has anyone tried these? and do they work? I also wanted to put a small lift or atleast a leveling kit on it. So i need something that will give it a better stance and also not squat the rear end when loaded down. Please help me because I am no mechanic and i really dont know much about what i am looking at! Thanks for the help!
Old 03-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats!

As far as the squating, there is a TSB out for it. Read up on this site and you will learn all about it. You can get the rear leaf's upgraded to a 4 leaf from Toyota to help with the towing. Raises the rear end about an inch from what I understand.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
Thanks! and i will look that up on here. I usually dont take advice from a Georgia fan but i am desperate! haha. just kidding man. I had buddy of mine from GA that rented out my extra room. We messed with each other back and forth all the time. GEAUX TIGERS! I hope im not making enemies already! lol.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
shit happens then you die
jobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Josh
jobrien's Tacoma Gallery
FNG!!!LOL naw welcome man from socal
Old 03-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
jobrien- thanks man! always good to hear from a member of the brotherhood! stay safe out there!

tacodawgfan- the tigers roar is always louder than the dogs bark! haha! I read a little bit about the TSB and i didnt see much about the squatting. it as more about the rough ride. I may have been looking at the wrong thing. no telling. I will probably just get some kind of aftermarket suspension to help with the squatting. I just want to get something that will also allow me to put either a small lift or a leveling kit later on. I dont want a big lift or anything bc its only a 2wd. just a good looking stance with a little more clearance.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
Mayday
mmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Veteran
mmadej87's Tacoma Gallery
the rear tsb is to fix the low squatting and rough ride...they will replace your 3 leaf pack with a 4 leaf pack
Old 03-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
You won't qualify for the Rear Spring TSB since you have a 2005. Look into upgrading your leaf pack by buying a new set of just getting an AAL. Bilstein 5100s with some OME or Eibach coils would be good for a lift up front.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #9
And just by upgrading my leaf pack, it wont squat as much? Just so you know, I remember looking at the manual for my 4wheeler when i bought it and it weighs right around 600 lbs. so will the leaf pack be enough to support around 600lbs?
Old 03-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
HARDCORE CARNIVORE BOW HUNTER
lynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
lynyrd3's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to lynyrd3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeland26 View Post
And just by upgrading my leaf pack, it wont squat as much? Just so you know, I remember looking at the manual for my 4wheeler when i bought it and it weighs right around 600 lbs. so will the leaf pack be enough to support around 600lbs?
Check out the lift kits @ Toytec.com . Welcome to TW
Old 03-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #11
what about the best seller 3" lift on toytech? It has the 2" AAL's. Is that going to be good enough to keep it from squatting? That seems like a pretty good deal for $299! Is that all I am going to need for the install or am I going to need springs too? Sorry for all of the questions but I am not the smartest when it comes to mechanical crap.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #12
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!
Old 03-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #13
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
The 2" aal from toytec is a very good one IMO. As for the front, consensus is to shy away from spacers. Read up and maybe you can make the right choice the first time. Plenty of info in the suspension forum...

As for myself, 5100s at 1.75 with the 2" AAL currently. Monday OME 884s will go on 5100s set to 0. Should get a better ride, and between 2-2.25" lift...

Again.. Pretty much ayou could ever want to know is right here in previous postings...
Old 03-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #14
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
You won't qualify for the Rear Spring TSB since you have a 2005. Look into upgrading your leaf pack by buying a new set of just getting an AAL. Bilstein 5100s with some OME or Eibach coils would be good for a lift up front.

Wasn't thinking about the fact the truck has to be in warranty. Sorry.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #15
ok i will read up on it a little more. one thing i forgot to mention... My prerunner is not a TRD. Does that make a big difference in what i should choose?
Old 03-06-2011, 01:17 AM   #16
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
If I understand correctly, the main differences between the trd and non is the 2 different lockers and the shock/spring combo... If you are going to go with 5100s, your spring rate may be a bit different than the trd, but will still give you the same height. If you go with spring and shocks, you erase the difference ( minus the rear shocks). I have no idea how the oem springs will pair with the non-trd shocks.

My only advice... Try to do it once... And if that means putting it off for a couple of months cause you gotta spend 2 bills more to do it right/better, put it off....
Old 03-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #18
damn! i sure wish it was as easy as just getting a lift and not having to worry about all the other bull!! I am mainly concerned about the towing. I just dont want it to squat like it does. has anyone tried super springs or Roadmaster easy fit active suspension kit? the only thing with that is, even if it works, im still paying $300+ just for that. and then when i decide to make it level, i have to spend even more on lifting the front. i just dont know if its going to be any cheaper than just lifting both front and rear.