Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

To lift or not to lift...

Old 03-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
The Happy Idiot is on a distinguished road

The Happy Idiot's Tacoma Gallery
To lift or not to lift...

I'm thinking I need some new leaf springs here.

I'm tempted to go with Wheeler's 5 leaf pack but I'm a bit concerned with CV stress. Is 1.5" of lift accurate for those? Would dropping the diff be a waste of $$? Will I need a bra due to a stiffer ride? Is there a huge difference other than $$ between the Rough Country Nitros and Billies?

So many questions...
Attached Thumbnails
To lift or not to lift...-dscn2919-2-.jpg   To lift or not to lift...-dscn2920-2-.jpg   To lift or not to lift...-dscn2921-2-.jpg  
Old 03-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
Tythias is on a distinguished road
Tythias's Tacoma Gallery
The diff drop has nothing to do with rear lift height, it is for correcting the front CV angles after lifting the front.
If you plan on lifting the front than the diff drop would be worth it on a 1st gen truck. (4x4 only)

If you happen to get vibrations due to the rear lift springs, there are axle shims and carrier bearing drops for the rear drive shaft.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Wait...what? A bra?
A bra for the bouncier ride and bouncier boobs.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tythias View Post
The diff drop has nothing to do with rear lift height, it is for correcting the front CV angles after lifting the front.
If you plan on lifting the front than the diff drop would be worth it on a 1st gen truck. (4x4 only)
If I raise the rear, I plan on raising the front as well. I hit a deer a few years back and bent the bumper back a bit on one side so it just brushes on the tire when I really load the front (off-road and heavy cornering). It isn't a huge issue and doesn't happen often but I'd kinda like to address it.

It seems most people think the diff drop is unnecessary with only 1.5" lift in the front. You disagree with 4X4? I heat my house with wood I pull out of the woods so I do a bit of loaded off-roading.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:08 AM   #6
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Happy Idiot View Post
If I raise the rear, I plan on raising the front as well. I hit a deer a few years back and bent the bumper back a bit on one side so it just brushes on the tire when I really load the front (off-road and heavy cornering). It isn't a huge issue and doesn't happen often but I'd kinda like to address it.

It seems most people think the diff drop is unnecessary with only 1.5" lift in the front. You disagree with 4X4? I heat my house with would I pull out of the woods so I do a bit of loaded off-roading.

Get the leaf pack and a set of 5100s. Put the front at 1.75 and call it a day.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:15 AM   #7
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacosupreme54's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigzor View Post

Get the leaf pack and a set of 5100s. Put the front at 1.75 and call it a day.
i agree. lifting under 3'' will be good. over and around 3'', you develop many more problems. keep it under 3''. get the billsteins, they probably cost a little more, but you get what you pay for. they have higher quality, thus = less need for a bra. (haha, i got your joke before you had to explain it). also, get the leaf pack if you can too. an add a leaf rides stiff as hell. after that, your truck should look good, you can stuff some larger tires under there, and you will probably be problem free.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:58 AM   #8

Much thanks for the feedback. I think I'm gonna go for the Billies and 5-leafers from Wheelers.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Umm....moobs?
this thread is perfectly fine without pics..
Old 03-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #11

I'll put up pics of the lift when I'm done. Have no fear. I'll crop out my boobs.