Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

advice with purchase of OME kit

Old 03-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacosupreme54's Tacoma Gallery
advice with purchase of OME kit

hey guys,
I have already made my mind up to buy an OME kit and was pretty set on it. But i just searched craigslist and a guy has one for sale. It's the full kit with 885's, both sets of shocks, top plate spacers, shims, brake lines, carrier bearing drop, AAL, and all hardware. I emailed him to get pics and it's all still new like he says. The thing that I am concerned about is that these were purchased in '07. I have two questions, is the integrity and durability of these going to be hurt by their age? The other, I have read about OME's older springs sagging too soon. Since these were purchased in August '07, are they going to be the old ones that sag, or will they be ok?

I feel that i can get a really good deal on this never used kit, but I don't want to waste my money on crap. The only thing I have noticed so far is that there isn't a trim packer for driver's side lean. Is there anything missing on the order sheet that I need? Please provide feedback on this and give me any heads up that I may need before I buy this. Is it missing anything, do I need to order anything along with it from toytec, etc. What price should I offer him?

(here's the pics he sent me)
Attached Thumbnails
advice with purchase of OME kit-imag0377.jpg   advice with purchase of OME kit-imag0378.jpg  
Old 03-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
That lift looks legit...even though its been sitting for a few years its still fine. OME springs did sag very quickly with use and thats why they provide the top plates to ensude the 3" of lift. They have since revised them and put an X at the end of the spring #...these are a little stiffer and don't sag as quick...I say pull the trigger!

I'm running 885Xs with no top plates and I'm getting a little over 3"...I've beat on the springs a little off road to speed up the settling process and it did lower a little but I think I'll end up being right at 3" over time
Old 03-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
That lift looks legit...even though its been sitting for a few years its still fine. OME springs did sag very quickly with use and thats why they provide the top plates to ensude the 3" of lift. They have since revised them and put an X at the end of the spring #...these are a little stiffer and don't sag as quick...I say pull the trigger!

I'm running 885Xs with no top plates and I'm getting a little over 3"...I've beat on the springs a little off road to speed up the settling process and it did lower a little but I think I'll end up being right at 3" over time
thanks. so these coils are not the revised ones? so they will end up sagging to under 3''? i ask because i want to get just a little over 3''. this also has the old "better" n140s front shocks before the 90000 ones
Old 03-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme54 View Post
thanks. so these coils are not the revised ones? so they will end up sagging to under 3''? i ask because i want to get just a little over 3''. this also has the old "better" n140s front shocks before the 90000 ones
I cant see the tag on the springs and it doesn't mention X on the order list so I 'd say no...their not the revised springs. The n140s are a better shock for sure so thats good. But you might be a little over 3" at 1st but once they settle or "sag" you'll probably get 2.75"...thats what I hear of some guys getting anyway
Old 03-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
I cant see the tag on the springs and it doesn't mention X on the order list so I 'd say no...their not the revised springs. The n140s are a better shock for sure so thats good. But you might be a little over 3" at 1st but once they settle or "sag" you'll probably get 2.75"...thats what I hear of some guys getting anyway
Yeah, I had heard about the new springs vs old springs, but never the "x" at the end of the number. I am happy that they are the better of the shocks. As for the sagging and measurements, are you referencing measurements with top plate spacers, or without top plate spacers? Hopefully, with the spacers added I can get just a little over 3'' with these old ones.

Also, does anybody know if these things sitting around for the past 3.5yrs have any effect of how they will perform? And what would be a good price to ask this guy? I can get a whole new set to my front door for under $800. Would you buy this for a lower price, or the new one?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #10
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know about the spring sag but those shocks have been sitting for 4 years. I bet they work but if the seals have dried out and leak that would negate the savings.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If your looking for over 3" lift with a 4x4, then you need to be looking into a drop bracket lift. Anything over 3" lift, and you run the risk of your CV's wearing out pretty quickly...
Old 03-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
Don't know about the spring sag but those shocks have been sitting for 4 years. I bet they work but if the seals have dried out and leak that would negate the savings.
That's one thing I thought about too. But then again, they haven't been used at all, so I don't know how they could leak.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
If your looking for over 3" lift with a 4x4, then you need to be looking into a drop bracket lift. Anything over 3" lift, and you run the risk of your CV's wearing out pretty quickly...
I don't really want to lift that high, I just want to clear 295/75/16's. The drop bracket lifts are just too much in price to gain a few more inches, plus you have to cut the crossmember. I just want enough to clear the 295 tires.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #14
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Personally , I think I would just buy new for the couple hundred bucks you will save .
Old 03-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't really want to lift that high, I just want to clear 295/75/16's. The drop bracket lifts are just too much in price to gain a few more inches, plus you have to cut the crossmember. I just want enough to clear the 295 tires.
Well....If your looking for over 3" lift, then prepare to replace CV's. If you want to lift 2.5" (as you should being 4x4), you just have to trim, and do a cab mount chop.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #16
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's one thing I thought about too. But then again, they haven't been used at all, so I don't know how they could leak.

If the seals are not used and exposed to oil from the shock to keep the rubber fresh they could dry out get hard and let oil past.
Perhaps not but for a couple hundie more I would be happy to have a warrantee.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Well....If your looking for over 3" lift, then prepare to replace CV's. If you want to lift 2.5" (as you should being 4x4), you just have to trim, and do a cab mount chop.
So, with the right trimming and cab mount chop, 295's would not be a problem? I've even saw a few people on here with 295's that didn't do a cab mount chop (arizonad54 is the only name I can remember), you just will rub on sharper turns.

I don't want to go through cv's any more often than I need to. I currently am on a 2.5'' spacer and am trying to fix that mistake with this lift. So which one would you think would be ok? spend around $800 on the new one, or a few hundred less (don't have a price for sure yet) on this 3yr old, but never used one on craigslist? I know that the new one will be everything i need it to be. But the old one has the n140s shocks, which people say were better, it has all the extras (shims, cb drop, etc), definitely saving a few hundred, and no shipping if I buy it. The only thing that bothers me is that it is the older springs not giving 3'', and wondering if the shocks can get old just sitting there. None of it was ever used.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Personally , I think I would just buy new for the couple hundred bucks you will save .
I am thinking about that too. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
If the seals are not used and exposed to oil from the shock to keep the rubber fresh they could dry out get hard and let oil past.
Perhaps not but for a couple hundie more I would be happy to have a warrantee.
I wonder if there would be a way to test them before i bought them
Old 03-06-2011, 12:21 AM   #20
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I wonder if there would be a way to test them before i bought them
Never a impossibility, but I highly doubt that anyone would let you mount, play a little bit, then change your mind. Eventhe return policy on some new 884s I just got in stated "new condition" "no wear", and even had a restocking fee....