Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

aal center bolts upside down?

Old 03-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
silver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
silver taco's Tacoma Gallery
aal center bolts upside down?

First off I didn't search this because im in the middle of my install with no internet, so im posting this from my phone. My question is, is it ok to install the center bolt of the leaf pack upside down. I don't see why this wiould be a problem but I just want to make sure. For further clarification, it's the bolt that the bump stop fits over.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
Phuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
Phuket's Tacoma Gallery
if anyone has an answer i'd like to know as well.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
Jones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
I would install it the way it was done before the add a leaf is add, you want enough treads making contact before cutting the access length off before installing the bump stops and ubolts back on. It also makes cutting. Why do you want to install it upside down?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones View Post
I would install it the way it was done before the add a leaf is add, you want enough treads making contact before cutting the access length off before installing the bump stops and ubolts back on. It also makes cutting. Why do you want to install it upside down?
this its easier to install with the nut on top of the pack than below
Old 03-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
silver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Its easier because im having trouble getting the clearance btwn the axel and the leaf pack to put it in from the bottom. I gave already trimmed some of it off as well to help with the clearance but still having difficulty.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
Jones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
I took both sides of the axle off the leaf springs to drop the whole thing down to get the bolt in from the bottom
Old 03-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #8

Looking at it I don't think dropping both sides will help me because my driver side axel is dropped and the brake lines are pretty maxes out. Is there a reasonson why the bolt direction should make a difference?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #9

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing factual on the bolt direction. I was thing the nut side of the bolt going into the hole on the axle might not fit as well as the round bolt head.

Did you read through the aal install sticky in this sub forum? It worked for me when installing mine.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #10

I read that thing forward and backward I have it saved on my desktop in front of me but I am having trouble aligning it perfectly where I can get it in from the bottom an I don't seem to have the clearance as well. I can make it go in through the top however.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The Nut wont fit into the hole in the spring perch. It needs to go one way. Compress the springs with the "C" clamp, and use an 1/4" (6" long) socket extension to align the springs. It takes a little time, but it will go.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
i agree with chris.
it's not going to fit, i've already tried. find a way to lower the axle further if u can, that was my main problem when installing my aal aswell.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #13

I went out and got a 1/4" extension. I tried with screwdrivers but they weren't strong enough to move the leaves to the tolerance that's needed. Thanks for all the quick responses. Ill keep you guys posted and will post pics as well
Old 03-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #14
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Like Chris said.... The nut won't fit in the hole. The hole in the spring perch is probably not deep enough to accomodate the height of the bolt and the nut either.

That centering pin (the head) has to sit down inside that hole and the springs must sit flat on the perch.

We've actually used small jackstands.... Put drivers side axle tube ontop a small jackstand while lowering the passenger side tube down to the ground (drum brake almost on floor) to give yourself enough room to get it in there. Then, reverse and do the other side. You might want a buddy to help you.....to make sure things stay ON the jacks stand and the driveshaft doesn't separate at the yoke.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #15

I got it done. The drivers side took me like 3 hrs to do but the passenger side only took me 35 mins! I see what you mean about it not working upside down. I had to drop the axel a lot by disconnecting it from both leafpacks at the same time and used a lot of jackstands to support it because i was out there by myself. i ended up ditching the 1/4 extension and instead feeding the bolt through the overload leaf and the aal and the clamped it all together that way. I was concerned about srewing up the threads, but at that point i didn't care anymore. They survived so it all worked out. Thank you all for your help. I plan to post pics in the next couple of days to add another resource for people looking to do this.