Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Bilstein lift kit vs OME suspension lift kit?

Old 03-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #41
wrecklesstacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Bill
wrecklesstacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the 5100's up front and an aal in the rear, I achieved the overall look I was going for and since I am not an avid off roaded the minor stiffening isn't really an issue for me. That being said I will probably eventually buy the eibachs for the front so that when I do go off road the ride will be better. I am still a newbie but I thought I would throw in my $.02
Old 03-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #42
crawldad is a jewel in the roughcrawldad is a jewel in the roughcrawldad is a jewel in the roughcrawldad is a jewel in the rough

crawldad's Tacoma Gallery
I thought this thread was about Bilstein vs OME lifts. Not some cheap spacer lift.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #43
thedude is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Lucas
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
Well I assumed the cheap spacer lift was out of the question due to a crappy ride. Some don't think the Revtek's have that bad of a ride, but it obviously isn't as good as one with the full kits from people who have had both. Guess it depends on budget and tolerance of a "rough" ride.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #44
crawldad is a jewel in the roughcrawldad is a jewel in the roughcrawldad is a jewel in the roughcrawldad is a jewel in the rough

crawldad's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah budget does play a part. But from my experience it costs more to take the less expensive route because you end up paying to do it twice once you realize its not what you really wanted. It's better just to do it right the first time.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:21 AM   #45
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotakits View Post
Just to let a few of you guys know, the Revtek kit is one of the best kits on the market and one of the only ones backed by Toyota at the dealer level. The split spacer design does not affect the suspension geometry. The ride is by no means harsh, it actually makes the truck perform and corner better. You would be crazy to not put in a diff drop kit unless you like replacing drive axle and boots all the time. For the money Revtek is the best deal out there and most complete kit. Revtek was the first kit on the market for Toyota's when Toyota came out with the strut desing front suspension. Just some info to share
thanks for the info, revtek employee.

and what about all of the procrap 3" and 6" lift kits the dealers buy from dealer services that have ties to 4WP?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #46
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawldad View Post
Yeah budget does play a part. But from my experience it costs more to take the less expensive route because you end up paying to do it twice once you realize its not what you really wanted. It's better just to do it right the first time.

EXACTLY! That was my mistake, blew 300 on that stupid ready lift

Live and learn huh? and if you can, learn from others as well.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #47
adamw is on a distinguished road

adamw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tythias View Post
Here is what Gregero is referring to:

Mixed Lift Total Cost: $570.00
5100 front/rear = 300.00 at DSM
OME coils = 170.00 Toytec
AAL = 80.00 Toytec
1/4" Top Plate Spacer = 20.00 Toytec (For Driver side Lean Correction. OME's Full kit includes the equivalent to this as well)

OME Full Kit No Diff Drop: $670.00

Bilstein 5100 Full Kit No Diff Drop: $620.00 (NOT the Ultimate Lift Kit... Different Animal)
thats what i was looking into last night its about $100 cheeper to do it that way with all the same parts. if you dont have a DC do you still get the lean or am I safe with an AC?
Old 03-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #48
Air Force:
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamw View Post
thats what i was looking into last night its about $100 cheeper to do it that way with all the same parts. if you dont have a DC do you still get the lean or am I safe with an AC?
Double checking, you need a diff drop on a 4x4, but not on rear wheel drive?
Old 03-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #49
Tythias is on a distinguished road
Tythias's Tacoma Gallery
Diff drops don't do anything for a 2nd gen tacoma. There are more negative effects with installing them. You can search this site and read about it.
2wd trucks don't have a front differential so they cant use the diff drop
Old 03-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #50
Air Force:
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Diff drops don't do anything for a 2nd gen tacoma. There are more negative effects with installing them. You can search this site and read about it.
2wd trucks don't have a front differential so they cant use the diff drop
OK thanks, this is why I'm confused - When you add the OME lift kit from the toytec site it gives you the option for a diff drop kit and says 4x4 (2wd no diff drop) so it implies you need it for 4x4. It also gives an optoin for top spacers for a full 3" lift, I assume this is a different type of spacer than the ones that compress springs and make a rough ride so I can add these or stay away? Thanks for the help. Just want to order the right stuff.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #51
Tythias is on a distinguished road
Tythias's Tacoma Gallery
The top plate spacer basically pushes the entire strut assembly down.
This type spacer will not give you a rougher ride for the lift height it is designed for.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #52
Air Force:
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info, I obviously don't know crap about this but I'm going to get the OME kit and have it installed locally. I don't want a rough ride, not worth saving a few hundred to me.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #53
Air Force:
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
After doing some more research it looks like you really do need upper control arms if you don't want your alignment jacked. Now I see why spacers are popular your talking over a grand to have a lift done "the right" way. May just do Bilstein 5100's.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #54
ckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of lightckblum is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Cam
ckblum's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly if you don't like the price don't lift it. It's like asking for 350hp+ but still wanting to get 30mpg, oh and you only wanna spend $500.

I had a 3" spacer lift on my Tacoma and it could've still used a set of aftermarket UCA's so doing a spacer vs strut lift should still have the caster corrected. Do it right with the Bilstein's or OME and if you don't mind the way it's aligned leave it. If it bugs you spend the extra cash and fix it properly. Like stated earlier, you have a nice truck, don't cheap out on one of the most important parts of it.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #55
BOONDOCKSAINT is on a distinguished road

BOONDOCKSAINT's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 10-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #56
nate08 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nate
nate08's Tacoma Gallery
So OP what did you end up doing? read the whole thread and it just ended without a closure. I'm in the same boat either OME or 5100's ordering today most likely. I think I'm going to cheap out on the UCA's for now. Hope that's not a terrible decision.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #57
jslum is on a distinguished road
Name: jason
jslum's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here is what Gregero is referring to:

Mixed Lift Total Cost: $570.00
5100 front/rear = 300.00 at DSM
OME coils = 170.00 Toytec
AAL = 80.00 Toytec
1/4" Top Plate Spacer = 20.00 Toytec (For Driver side Lean Correction. OME's Full kit includes the equivalent to this as well)

OME Full Kit No Diff Drop: $670.00

Bilstein 5100 Full Kit No Diff Drop: $620.00 (NOT the Ultimate Lift Kit... Different Animal)
Sorry about bringing up an old thread but figured that was better than a new one. so with the above setup would you not need a sway bar relocate or rear shims? just trying to clarify.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #58
little squirt has much to be proud oflittle squirt has much to be proud oflittle squirt has much to be proud oflittle squirt has much to be proud oflittle squirt has much to be proud oflittle squirt has much to be proud oflittle squirt has much to be proud oflittle squirt has much to be proud of

little squirt's Tacoma Gallery
im in the same boat, will the OME kit let you run 285's? any pics of this setup?
Old 01-25-2013, 04:26 AM   #59
REDdawn6 is on a distinguished road

REDdawn6's Tacoma Gallery
So with either of these kits you need a set of UCA's to align? What can not be set right without?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #60
Hippynotions is on a distinguished road
Hippynotions's Tacoma Gallery
Im going to go with the 2" lift from OME and it seems like a person needs new UCA's http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-57...l-arm-kit.html something like this or total chaos UCA's any other brands out there worth purchasing? Give me a shout back if you have installed new UCA's with your lift and it seems definitely worth it since it will correct everything and make the lift last a lifetime as well as the rest of the front end suspension components.