LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Bilstein lift kit vs OME suspension lift kit?

Old 12-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #81
Purdue Pete is on a distinguished road
Name: John
Purdue Pete's Tacoma Gallery
I figured I might as well ask here. Planning on going with a OME Lift Kit from Toytec. Currently have blocks and they suck. Give you a headache if you hit a crack from your teeth chattering. Anyway, I ordered my sliders from BAMF. The shipping weight is 200lbs, should I get the 885 springs? Hope to install it before the sliders get here...in five months.

Thanks for all the info in this thread and others, it's what helped me make my call. Not trying to thread jack, sorry if it appears that way.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #82
RileySB
rileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Gen
rileySB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue Pete View Post
I figured I might as well ask here. Planning on going with a OME Lift Kit from Toytec. Currently have blocks and they suck. Give you a headache if you hit a crack from your teeth chattering. Anyway, I ordered my sliders from BAMF. The shipping weight is 200lbs, should I get the 885 springs? Hope to install it before the sliders get here...in five months.

Thanks for all the info in this thread and others, it's what helped me make my call. Not trying to thread jack, sorry if it appears that way.
Depends what other armor you plan on putting on. The sliders are not lightweight, they do add some weight, which is why YotaDan told me to use 887 coils (5mm longer but same coil rate as 885- they are 4Runner coils) so that I would get my full 2.5-3". Plus I told him I was going to put on a skid plate too. But he advised against getting 886x coils unless I was going with an aftermarket bumper because he said it would be too stiff a ride. Just my 2 cents. I love my set up 5100/887 with BAMF sliders.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #83
snow is awesome
VE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob II
VE7OSR's Tacoma Gallery
Had dealer installed Revtek lift with stock TRD shocks when I bought my truck used. My experience was the front easily bottomed out, and overall the ride was harsh, and got worse when the truck was loaded with box weight.

Switched to OME w/885 coils, and Nitro shocks up front. Replaced leaf pack out back (Allpro Expo leafs, as i normally have weight + canopy in the back + Walker Evans digressive valved shocks of the correct length.)
Also changed out the stock bump stops.

Highway ride, would be described as stiff, but also way smoother = better control, likely a result of better balance between droop and compression.
Significantly better control on gravel roads from both front and back end of the truck. Much less wheel hop on washboards.

Used stock UCA, and was still able to be within alignment spec with minimal castor. On full droop, UCA would touch the coil. UCA now changed out to Camburg ball joint style, and I have better castor#s, and more clearance for the coil.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #84
Purdue Pete is on a distinguished road
Name: John
Purdue Pete's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rileySB View Post
Depends what other armor you plan on putting on. The sliders are not lightweight, they do add some weight, which is why YotaDan told me to use 887 coils (5mm longer but same coil rate as 885- they are 4Runner coils) so that I would get my full 2.5-3". Plus I told him I was going to put on a skid plate too. But he advised against getting 886x coils unless I was going with an aftermarket bumper because he said it would be too stiff a ride. Just my 2 cents. I love my set up 5100/887 with BAMF sliders.
Some day I might put some armor but for now I don't do a whole lot of offroad. But someday when we slow down here at work. I just wanna know if it'd be a good idea to get some heavier duty springs. At this point, and that is a lift is a few months away, I'm leaning towards putting the 885 on rather than the 884. Don't need 886.

Bought a stereo so don't want to buy the lift now.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:38 PM   #85
Bosshoag is on a distinguished road

Name: Mr. Doogan
Bosshoag's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tythias View Post
From what I gather from softest riding to stiffest:
OME N140S struts with OME 884 or 885 coils (ome 9000 struts are valved stiffer)
5100 with eibach coil
5100 with stock coil compressed to give desired lift
I'm going for softest ride (or closest to stock I reckon). But you say the N140S OME struts are softer than the 9000?
This deal only offers the 9000 struts: http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...kit_p_231.html

Is this because they don't make the n140s anymore or are they jsut trying to squeeze another dime out of me?
Do you think I can request the N140S's or would that be dumb?

sorry for the attempted jacking of the thread. Consider this me bringing it back to life by asking additional relevant questions.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:56 PM   #86
Jhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Jhodgman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosshoag View Post
I'm going for softest ride (or closest to stock I reckon). But you say the N140S OME struts are softer than the 9000?
This deal only offers the 9000 struts: http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...kit_p_231.html

Is this because they don't make the n140s anymore or are they jsut trying to squeeze another dime out of me?
Do you think I can request the N140S's or would that be dumb?

sorry for the attempted jacking of the thread. Consider this me bringing it back to life by asking additional relevant questions.

Looks like these are just the replacment shock, so they no longer make N140s and instead make the 9000. so you may be able to get some used (maybe even new still) somewhere but they should be just about the same.

IMO you should really consider the differences or softer vs. stiffer ride.
I went with the 5100s at 1.75 on my stock sport coils because I trusted my shop even though I thought I wanted the softer ride. Turns out I actually preffer it stiffer. alot less roll when im turning and when I hit a bump at a good speed its not as jarring.

I drive about 15% offroad 85% city and its a wonderful ride.

When the ride is to soft IMO it seems like you bounce around all the time and you have alot of roll. but driving fast on washboard roads will be nice and smooth.