1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein lift kit vs OME suspension lift kit?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by thedude, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Mar 8, 2011 at 9:49 AM
    thedude

thedude [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Little Rock, AR
    I've read the forums on different lifts and can't seem to get a straight answer. I'm getting a 2011 double cab 4x4 TRD Sport and want a 2.5-3" lift. Dealer recommended revtek but after reading the forum that sounds like a bad idea. I do mainly highway driving 50 miles roundtrip everyday to work so I don't want a rough ride. Not sure if I should go the cheap rout and just get Bilstein 5100's or get one of the two kits below. I can't figure the difference between these two kits besides the brand - Bilstein Adjustable lift kit with 5100 shocks or OME Suspension lift kit?

2. Mar 8, 2011 at 9:54 AM
    DocCisco

DocCisco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Utah County, UT
    Vehicle:
    LB TRD Sport 4x4
    Subbed, I am wondering the same for future lift.

3. Mar 8, 2011 at 10:21 AM
    Tythias

Tythias Active Member

Member:
    First off the OME kit you linked is for the 1st gen and not a 2nd gen.

The Bilstein kit uses a 620 spring rate coil vs OME's 590 spring rate.
    The lower the spring rate the softer the ride.

I have also heard the OME valving is softer and it being a twin tube design will give a softer ride than the stiffer valved monotube design of the Bilstein.

4. Mar 8, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    thedude

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Little Rock, AR
    Oops, your right wrong link

So it's going to come down to personal preference and type of driving, for a softer hwy ride sounds like OME would be better for me. Just to double check neither of these are going to require any major mods like longer break lines ect. Thanks.

5. Mar 8, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    Tythias

Tythias Active Member

Member:
    From what I gather from softest riding to stiffest:
    OME N140S struts with OME 884 or 885 coils (ome 9000 struts are valved stiffer)
    5100 with eibach coil
    5100 with stock coil compressed to give desired lift

6. Mar 8, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    Tythias

Tythias Active Member

Member:
    Major mods no.
    brake lines are not required.
    new aftermarket UCAs would be required for perfect alignment.
    however you may still be able to get it decently aligned with stock UCAs

7. Mar 8, 2011 at 10:33 AM
    thedude

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Little Rock, AR
    Well, another consideration is instillation cost, I'm not doing it myself so I need to see what the difference in price is for installing just 5100's vs a whole kit. Not sure how much longer that will take.

8. Mar 8, 2011 at 12:16 PM
    Tythias

Tythias Active Member

Member:
    If you just do 5100s that will only raise the front. However ever you may be nose high at the 1.75" without the TSB leafs . With this being said the only labor cost you would save is lifting the rear with either a block or AAL.

Either full kit is going to cost about the same to install.

I personally would not recommend getting the front diff drop with any setup.

9. Mar 8, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    Tythias

Tythias Active Member

Member:
    Forgot to mention you would also save labor if you don't purchase the rear 5100s / have them installed obviously. However I would not recommend that either.

10. Mar 8, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    thedude

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Little Rock, AR
    I guess if I wanted to keep it cheap I would just do the revtek's like the dealership suggested. Kind of suprised they suggest that if they are as bad as some people say. I just want the look without a super stiff ride on the highway.

11. Mar 8, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    Tythias

Tythias Active Member

Member:
    Just got home, was replying from my phone.

Preload spacers will give you a harsher ride and may wander a bit on the highway due to the new compressed spring preload and the struts not being valved for it.

Top plate spacers will give you the most stock ride quality IF you never hit any bumps which could possibly top out your strut.

You have an expensive truck, save the money and do it right.

12. Mar 8, 2011 at 4:49 PM
    Gregero

Gregero TRD: Trail Ready Development

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Carson City, NV
    Vehicle:
    Blue '06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Debadged Tailgate, TOYOTA logo on Tailgate, Uniden Radio w/ 4' Ant., Removed Sway-Bar, Rear Icon Extended Travel Shocks, 8" King Offroad Shocks, Debadged Doors, 1.25" Rear AllPro Wheel Spacers, 315/70R17 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, AllPro Skid Plate, New Car Smell Air Freshener, OMD Ford&Chevy Leaf Pack with Original Main leaf, Engage LT UCAs and LCAs, Engage HD Tie Rod Ends, Kar-Tek Limit Straps, Camber Eliminator Kit, Removed Rear Flares, Blue LED Dome and Map lights, LED License plate lights, Black TRD Sport Rims, 20W PA Speaker, 2 Meter Radio, Demello-like Bed Bar, Harbor Freight Dust Lights, Blacked-out Hood Scoop, Custom Pre-Runner Bumper, JBA Long Tube Headers, MBRP Catback Exhaust, AFE Stage2 CAI, URD MAF Sensor Calibrator
    Mix the lifts!!

13. Mar 8, 2011 at 5:04 PM
    Tythias

Tythias Active Member

Member:
    Here is what Gregero is referring to:

Mixed Lift Total Cost: $570.00
    5100 front/rear = 300.00 at DSM
    OME coils = 170.00 Toytec
    AAL = 80.00 Toytec
    1/4" Top Plate Spacer = 20.00 Toytec (For Driver side Lean Correction. OME's Full kit includes the equivalent to this as well)

OME Full Kit No Diff Drop: $670.00

Bilstein 5100 Full Kit No Diff Drop: $620.00 (NOT the Ultimate Lift Kit... Different Animal)

chanes8cwu likes this.
  14. Mar 8, 2011 at 5:49 PM
    thedude

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Little Rock, AR
    http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/review/revtek-3-in-lift-review-offroadcom-22170.html

Link above has a review claiming Revtek solves some of the spacer problems:

"Now that Revtek as made an introduction to the industry, they seem to bring the "perfect spacer" design to the public. Revtek's spacer is a 3" lift, split between two spacers. The thicker of the two, shown in the picture saying "Revtek", goes in the coil pack. The second spacer is placed above the coil pack. This gives you a 3" lift.

With Revtek's design you do not run into the problem of a stiff suspension, no more topping out, and no stress on the suspension components such as ball joints, cv joints, or cv"

Is this claim full of it or any truth to it?

15. Mar 8, 2011 at 5:51 PM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
  16. Mar 8, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    hamNswiss on rye

hamNswiss on rye ¡Yo Quiero Taco World!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Scottsdale, AZ/Portland, ME
    Vehicle:
    '07 4x4 Access Cab
    OME 885's and billies all around, allpro apex front bumper, Nfab tire carrier, black magic rallye 1000 driving lights, custom back to the future light rack, KC LED Daylighters, PIAA 510 fogs, bed lights, satoshi, 285/70/17 Duratracs
    subbed for this.

17. Mar 8, 2011 at 6:01 PM
    ink junky

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    Hey OP, speaking from experience and I'm sure others may chime in, I would advise you to stay away from spacers. If $$$ is an issue, either save up or buy the 5100 Bilsteins, with an add-a-leaf.

Spacers give you a crappy ride. Stiffer than hell. If you want a true suspension lift both the bilstein or ome are good. :)

I had spacers for about a year, and regretted buying, bought the full OME set up 885s, nitros (can't remember off the top of my head which ones exactly) and Dakar leaf packs, and I love it. :D

18. Mar 8, 2011 at 6:08 PM
    ink junky

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    I would recommend getting the proper tools to do the lift install yourself (OP)...

you can end up paying less buying the tools than what the actual install would cost, and learn much more about how your suspension works.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/31862-how-front-shock-spring-removal.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/54186-aal-install-second-gen.html

Just follow along with these threads, and you should be good.

I just decided to tear my truck apart one day cuz I had the lift just sitting in the garage, ended up getting some help from a member here who had prior experience on suspension installs.

Doing the install myself (with help of course) was a learning experience. :)

19. Mar 8, 2011 at 6:22 PM
    intense

intense Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD '07
    ASE Dry, Carbon filter removed, Grillcraft, 5100's. Low Pro Ameriweld box black powder. Tint / Vent Visors. Textured Black skid plate. Husky Liners. Design Seat Covers
    Keep ur stock shocks and use rev tek. U will enjoy the ride much better. And the lift is perfectly level.

20. Mar 8, 2011 at 6:23 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Are you joking ?

Products Discussed in

To Top