Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Am I going to see any benefit from Bilstiens?

Old 03-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Am I going to see any benefit from Bilstiens?

So, I'm looking at adding a little height to the truck - about 2". I figure going with Bilstiens set to 1.75" plus the 2" AAL on the back would look OK after the AAL settled, but then I start thinking about the benefits (if there are any). You don't really get better ground clearance out of the deal, unless you go high enough to add 285s, and this won't let me do that. So why should I spend $400 on Bilstiens and an AAL when I can tuck 265/75/16s on my truck at stock height with my SR5 setup?

Is there any benefit besides a slightly-noticeable lift to adding Bilstiens and an AAL? I'm thinking I need to either go a full 3" with an OME kit, add 285's, expect to possibly need UCAs and eat the 2 or 3 MPG loss, or just don't do anything and leave it stock height.

Thoughts? Am I missing some benefit to Bilstiens set at mid-height with AALs in the back?
Old 03-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
they are stiffer ride in front.....escpecially when compressing the springs

i say go OME like you stated
Old 03-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dude, you're old.

No, seriously - thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking you're right and I don't really want to go that far. Just like everyone else, I'm looking for mimimum investment and maximum result.

Who else has an opinion on my question?

(Oh, and I'm 30 too...)
Old 03-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with Ryan. Get the OME 884's, and the OME shocks. Front and rear for the best lifted ride.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I would suggest OME, very reputable company with a solid product line. Regarding the 5100s several people are switching due to the fact that they stiffen over time. Having said that you may benefit with the added ground clearance In the rear.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
If your not concerned with clearance and keeping 265's just do 5100s all around set the front at 1.75 and no aal, u should be level with more capable shocks. However, new springs would be better ome's or eibachs. Can't go wrong with either of those 2 set ups! Just my 2 cents!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #7

Just saw NLF's thread, and his truck looks perfect. If I do a 2" AAL and OME 884s from ToyTec, I'm in about $275 there. Plus the $300 front/rear Bilstiens from DSM and I'm into a true coilover lift for <$600. Seems like a sweet setup for the price! Thoughts? Am I missing any other parts I might need besides maybe the 1/4" taco lean spacer?
Old 03-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
Just saw NLF's thread, and his truck looks perfect. If I do a 2" AAL and OME 884s from ToyTec, I'm in about $275 there. Plus the $300 front/rear Bilstiens from DSM and I'm into a true coilover lift for <$600. Seems like a sweet setup for the price! Thoughts? Am I missing any other parts I might need besides maybe the 1/4" taco lean spacer?
Downsouth sells OME stuff too. You may want to see what kinda price they would give all together.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Downsouth sells OME stuff too. You may want to see what kinda price they would give all together.
Hmm, checked out their site and didn't find any OME stuff, but that doesn't mean it's not there somewhere.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
Hmm, checked out their site and didn't find any OME stuff, but that doesn't mean it's not there somewhere.
Give Sonny or Marco a call. They havent added them to the site yet.