Old 04-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #421
The "H" is silent.
TexasTacoLT will become famous soon enough
Army: Maintenance, 2nd Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division
Name: John
TexasTacoLT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You should be able to popp it out by hitting the side of the BJ with a hammer.
Cool, I got 'em out. I didn't want to hit it too hard with the hammer, but I guess that's what it takes. Now just need an alignment.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #422
MPLS TACO is on a distinguished road
Name: CHad
MPLS TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I am buying TC upper control arms and installing myself it looks straight forward thanks for the write up!! Sounds like the Total chaos are the best bang for the buck? I don't rock crawl maybe some mudding here and there its my daily driver.

So when i get the alignment I want?
0 camber
0 toe
2.9 caster correct

I have a 3" skyjacker lift kit with rear AAL on a 2013 tacoma dcsb sport.
My current alignment is within spec but my caster is at 1.4 on both sides roughly and it wanders more than I like, trying to get a better handling lifted truck and it sounds like this is the ticket.

Where should I buy these from BTW?
Thanks
Old 04-08-2014, 05:14 PM   #423
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS TACO View Post
I am buying TC upper control arms and installing myself it looks straight forward thanks for the write up!! Sounds like the Total chaos are the best bang for the buck? I don't rock crawl maybe some mudding here and there its my daily driver.

So when i get the alignment I want?
0 camber
0 toe
2.9 caster correct

I have a 3" skyjacker lift kit with rear AAL on a 2013 tacoma dcsb sport.
My current alignment is within spec but my caster is at 1.4 on both sides roughly and it wanders more than I like, trying to get a better handling lifted truck and it sounds like this is the ticket.

Where should I buy these from BTW?
Thanks
Downsouth Motorsports......ftw. They are a vendor here. They are awesome.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #424
nvrenuf is a name known to allnvrenuf is a name known to allnvrenuf is a name known to allnvrenuf is a name known to allnvrenuf is a name known to allnvrenuf is a name known to all

Navy: Petty Officer First Class
Name: Matt
nvrenuf's Tacoma Gallery
Really struggling with my ball joint bolt too. Working with a damn claw hammer... is it even possible with a claw hammer or do I need to get a dead blow?
Old 04-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #425
The "H" is silent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrenuf View Post
Really struggling with my ball joint bolt too. Working with a damn claw hammer... is it even possible with a claw hammer or do I need to get a dead blow?
I just gave the bottom of the bolt a few really hard whacks with a hammer and they popped right out.

They're not threaded in or anything, which is what I was afraid of.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #426
nvrenuf is a name known to allnvrenuf is a name known to allnvrenuf is a name known to allnvrenuf is a name known to allnvrenuf is a name known to allnvrenuf is a name known to all

Navy: Petty Officer First Class
Name: Matt
nvrenuf's Tacoma Gallery
I finally got it. I just went to the auto parts store and bought a pickle fork and 4 pound sledge. A few good solid wacks broke it free.

Also, I went with the "cutting-off-the-head-of-the-bolt" method to remove the long bolt... too easy. replacement bolts only $12 apiece from dealer.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #427
SlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Ryan
SlimBo84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrenuf View Post
I finally got it. I just went to the auto parts store and bought a pickle fork and 4 pound sledge. A few good solid wacks broke it free.

Also, I went with the "cutting-off-the-head-of-the-bolt" method to remove the long bolt... too easy. replacement bolts only $12 apiece from dealer.
Where you able to slide the long bolt back in from the other side? Or did you bend back the part of the framing next to the UCA?
Old 05-05-2014, 11:42 PM   #428
double dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Derrick
double dee's Tacoma Gallery
So I'm going to be un-installing these but I did not install them so I have no experience with them. Should I do anything different other than follow this but in reverse order?
Old 06-03-2014, 03:17 PM   #429
The Anti-Bling
TheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Theo
TheosTaco's Tacoma Gallery
How long did it take everyone to install the new UCA's?

Did you use any grease....if so, what kind/brand?

Did most people buy new nuts & bolts and cut the old ones off?
Old 06-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #430
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheosTaco View Post

Takes about 40 mins or so if you've done it a couple times. About an hour or so if its your first time.

Rub grease ALL OVER the bushings before installing them. Don't install them, then squirt a little in the zerk. RUB grease all over BEFORE installing them in the UCA.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #431
Stalker
TacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
TacoBrah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Its pretty simple but getting the UCA bolts out/in can be quite an ordeal. I used some grease that came with the UCAs, forgot what type it was though.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:47 PM   #432
double dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Derrick
double dee's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:

Total chaos recommends super lube. Depending on how old your truck is will determine the condition of the bolt and if you can reuse it. As long as the threads aren't rusted you can reuse it.
Attached Thumbnails
Total Chaos UCA how-to Install-pace3-5758517dt.jpg  
Old 06-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #433
presto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Topher
presto's Tacoma Gallery
i figure this might help someone someday. This is for all the 1st gens.

Basically the hardest part is removing the old UBJ and installing the TC puck in place of the UBJ. This really only helped with the installation of the TC puck. Not sure if this has been done before but my buddy came up with this idea. We put the puck in the freezer for about an hour or so. Then took a propane torch and heated up the hole for the puck on the spindle. The puck literally almost went in by hand. Took two taps of a hammer and bam.

edit:
I tried using the TC BJ removal/install tool.. what a joke. i almost broke 3x c clamps haha..
ended up smacking the BJ out with a 20 oz hammer.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:26 AM   #434
The "H" is silent.
Quote:

Having never worked on suspension before, it took me about an hour and a half to get the first one installed. After the first one, the second took me about 30 min. The hardest part for me was getting the long bolts out; I used the fender bend method. If I were to do it again, I would have cut 'em off and bought new bolts. I also ran into some trouble getting the ball joint bolts out; ended up just whacking it a few good times with a hammer.

For grease I used some multipurpose grease that I picked up from Autozone; not sure what brand.

All in all, it's pretty straight forward. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #435
The Anti-Bling
TheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Theo
TheosTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds good. Thank you for all the replies guys, I appreciate it. I know it's not like rebuilding an engine or anything but, I just wanted to have all my ducks in a row before I started the job.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #436
Griff 99 TRD is on a distinguished road
Griff 99 TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Guys, I am definitely in a world of POOP with this!!! Yes, I realize this thread is dedicated to installing Total Chaos Upper Control Arms, but I'm trying to install Camburg and I hope the issue I'm having may be more universal per say.

So, I have a '99 Tacoma SR5 V6 TRD and I can't get the snap ring to lock in between the slug and spindle. I first used a c-clamp style press, then I took it to a local shop where they used a 30 ton press and there still wasn't enough clearance. The guy said I would have to grind down the top of the spindle. Thoughts? Man, this project has been a huge a PITA!!!
Old 06-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #437
presto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

presto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff 99 TRD View Post
Guys, I am definitely in a world of POOP with this!!! Yes, I realize this thread is dedicated to installing Total Chaos Upper Control Arms, but I'm trying to install Camburg and I hope the issue I'm having may be more universal per say.

So, I have a '99 Tacoma SR5 V6 TRD and I can't get the snap ring to lock in between the slug and spindle. I first used a c-clamp style press, then I took it to a local shop where they used a 30 ton press and there still wasn't enough clearance. The guy said I would have to grind down the top of the spindle. Thoughts? Man, this project has been a huge a PITA!!!
Don't grind IMO. Doesn't sound right. If I were you I would take them out and start over. Make sure you clean the surfaces pretty nicely.. Te easiest way to do it is stick the puck into the freezer for an hour and heat up the spindle with a torch (only where you put the puck in). Should be able to tap it in with about two taps of a hammer.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #438

presto's Tacoma Gallery
Oops didn't mean to double post...
Old 06-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #439
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
BBtacosurfer's Tacoma Gallery
just wanted to say I read a really informative article in 4wd magazine (or something like that) about Total Chaos...These will be my next purchase when I upgrade my Light Racing UCAs...Total Chaos FTW
Old 06-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #440
Griff 99 TRD is on a distinguished road
Griff 99 TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by presto View Post
Don't grind IMO. Doesn't sound right. If I were you I would take them out and start over. Make sure you clean the surfaces pretty nicely.. Te easiest way to do it is stick the puck into the freezer for an hour and heat up the spindle with a torch (only where you put the puck in). Should be able to tap it in with about two taps of a hammer.

Thanks, man! I'll give that a try.

Products Discussed in this Thread