1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear shock install

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 85yote09taco, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Mar 11, 2011 at 4:38 PM
    85yote09taco

85yote09taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD OR
    3'' OME lift, TRD CAI, Built Right UCAs, 285 Goodyear DURATRACS, black steelies, Fog light anytime, DTRL, Alternating turn signal, Diff breather relocated, Carrier bearing drop, Weathertechs, Bestop, Extended SS brake lines, CBI Sliders w/kickout, Cab mount chop, Total Chaos LCA skids, All Pro skids, Satoshi(HomerTaco), Bruteforcefab ''HC'' rear bumper, Bruteforce Hybrid front bumper
    So my rear shocks arrived today, and was working on getting them installed today. I ran into a problem when the nut would'nt break loose from the top of the shock, and I ran out of room to keep my wrench on top. It just keeps spinning the bottom. I put vice gips on it and still spinning, I do not want to cut them up as they only have roughly 10k miles on them and thought I could sell them to someone else to make good use of. Any other ideas?

2. Mar 11, 2011 at 4:38 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Are they OEM shocks?

3. Mar 11, 2011 at 4:39 PM
    85yote09taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD OR
    3'' OME lift, TRD CAI, Built Right UCAs, 285 Goodyear DURATRACS, black steelies, Fog light anytime, DTRL, Alternating turn signal, Diff breather relocated, Carrier bearing drop, Weathertechs, Bestop, Extended SS brake lines, CBI Sliders w/kickout, Cab mount chop, Total Chaos LCA skids, All Pro skids, Satoshi(HomerTaco), Bruteforcefab ''HC'' rear bumper, Bruteforce Hybrid front bumper
    yes they are

4. Mar 11, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    85yote09taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD OR
    Chris I read your how to thread but it seemed that you didn't have this issue.

5. Mar 11, 2011 at 4:43 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Some do, some dont. Your gonna have to use Vice grips, or the like, to hold the shaft from turning.

6. Mar 11, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    85yote09taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD OR
    I do appreciate your thoughts, but I've tried that for about an hour. I'm thinking about taking the loss and cutting them. Not sure but it started to rain and will just have to get back on it tommorrow

7. Mar 11, 2011 at 4:47 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    yeah....If you have a sawzall, its not that bad. Before you do that, you may want to tighten it back up, spray some lube on the threads, and give it another go.

8. Mar 11, 2011 at 4:50 PM
    85yote09taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD OR
    Alright man thanks for your help! As always you're the man with the answers, and I appreciate your friendly attitude

9. Mar 11, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    :) Glad to help.

10. Mar 12, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
  11. Mar 6, 2014 at 4:39 PM
    RNGRCaldera

RNGRCaldera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    14 AC TRD
    off road tires,toolbox, tinted window,Allpro Apex bumper, Toytec 3" suspension lift, Cb radio and firestik, 20" light bar.
    I ran into this problem while installing my new shocks, I tried vice grips and they still spin
    any ideas? they are just barely hanging on because i can't get passed the first few threads

12. Mar 8, 2014 at 3:07 PM
    redman2006

redman2006 Active Member

Member:
    georgia
    Vehicle:
    access cab 4wd TRD
    When I did mine, I had a tough time. Took the bottom completely loose and put the shaft in a serious bind by pulling the bottom of the shock really hard away from the lower mount. I was able to work it off that way. Does that make any sense?

Also, put it back on a little, put some kroil or the like on it and go again. It may take a couple of goes before it comes off. All else fails, cut the shaft. It is some hard crap to cut though.

Products Discussed in

To Top