Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rear shock install

Old 03-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
85yote09taco has a spectacular aura about85yote09taco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Eric
85yote09taco's Tacoma Gallery
Rear shock install

So my rear shocks arrived today, and was working on getting them installed today. I ran into a problem when the nut would'nt break loose from the top of the shock, and I ran out of room to keep my wrench on top. It just keeps spinning the bottom. I put vice gips on it and still spinning, I do not want to cut them up as they only have roughly 10k miles on them and thought I could sell them to someone else to make good use of. Any other ideas?
Old 03-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85yote09taco View Post
So my rear shocks arrived today, and was working on getting them installed today. I ran into a problem when the nut would'nt break loose from the top of the shock, and I ran out of room to keep my wrench on top. It just keeps spinning the bottom. I put vice gips on it and still spinning, I do not want to cut them up as they only have roughly 10k miles on them and thought I could sell them to someone else to make good use of. Any other ideas?
Are they OEM shocks?
Old 03-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Chris I read your how to thread but it seemed that you didn't have this issue.
Some do, some dont. Your gonna have to use Vice grips, or the like, to hold the shaft from turning.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
85yote09taco has a spectacular aura about85yote09taco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Eric
85yote09taco's Tacoma Gallery
I do appreciate your thoughts, but I've tried that for about an hour. I'm thinking about taking the loss and cutting them. Not sure but it started to rain and will just have to get back on it tommorrow
Old 03-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #7

Quote:
I do appreciate your thoughts, but I've tried that for about an hour. I'm thinking about taking the loss and cutting them. Not sure but it started to rain and will just have to get back on it tommorrow
yeah....If you have a sawzall, its not that bad. Before you do that, you may want to tighten it back up, spray some lube on the threads, and give it another go.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Alright man thanks for your help! As always you're the man with the answers, and I appreciate your friendly attitude
Glad to help.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Here is the alternative procedure....

But I do not recommend reading this until after you have finished your job and have a cold beer in hand...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post2201307
Old 03-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #11
RNGRCaldera is on a distinguished road

Army: Army Ranger
RNGRCaldera's Tacoma Gallery
I ran into this problem while installing my new shocks, I tried vice grips and they still spin
any ideas? they are just barely hanging on because i can't get passed the first few threads
Old 03-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #12
redman2006 is on a distinguished road
redman2006's Tacoma Gallery
When I did mine, I had a tough time. Took the bottom completely loose and put the shaft in a serious bind by pulling the bottom of the shock really hard away from the lower mount. I was able to work it off that way. Does that make any sense?

Also, put it back on a little, put some kroil or the like on it and go again. It may take a couple of goes before it comes off. All else fails, cut the shaft. It is some hard crap to cut though.