Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Icon coilovers or the King RR coilovers?

View Poll Results: Icon coilovers or the King RR coilovers?
Icon 371 50.68%
King RR 361 49.32%
Voters: 732. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #241
HB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to all
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget@URD View Post
I had run several different setups on my 96 4Runner and I can tell you the ICON was absolutely the best, on road, and off road. The ride is very smooth and very controlled.

I put the ICON Stage 6 on my 2010 4Runner and the ride is better than stock on road and way improved off road.

When ICON does a kit they valve and spring it specific to that vehicle. When you get stuff from some other companies you pretty much get a generic setup.

Buy ONCE, buy ICON.

G
That's the kind of info I've been looking for! Icons it is, just putting money aside. Now for the rear I like the 3 leaf but occasionally I may carry 300-400 lbs will that setup suffice? and what shocks? I dont think I need resi shocks! I dont see myself bounding over whoops for any length of time. Will 5100's work?
Old 05-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #242
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Kings are a high quality shock. Their progressive nature favors low speed off roading. The Digressive nature of the Icons favors faster speeds. So....the decision should be made as to what kinda off roading you do.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #243
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget@URD View Post
I had run several different setups on my 96 4Runner and I can tell you the ICON was absolutely the best, on road, and off road. The ride is very smooth and very controlled.

I put the ICON Stage 6 on my 2010 4Runner and the ride is better than stock on road and way improved off road.

When ICON does a kit they valve and spring it specific to that vehicle. When you get stuff from some other companies you pretty much get a generic setup.

Buy ONCE, buy ICON.

G
Im talking with DSM about getting custom made and valved Kings. For example I want longer travel than the OEM king rear shock which has a threaeded end in favor for a shorter welded end for longer travel (with a longer shock body) but a shorter collapsed length. Does Icon offer that kind of customization? I do way more street driving and slow speed wheeling... thus why I dont think Icon suits my needs. Plus I want to get the new internal needle bypass shocks King has statred to produce. Icon does not offer anything like that yet. I am sure they will follow King in that regard at some point. For me Icon is just a rougher ride to trade off for a benefit of smoother travel at 40+ mph across desert terrain. Since I wont be doing any desert 40+ wheeling its just a rougher ride with no benefit.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #244
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Icon and king both make great products.

Icon specializes in the bolt on OE replacement shocks while king dominates the off road shock market. both companies have their specialty. Icon def has alot more R+D in their bolt on products because that is where they make their money. King turn out bolt on shocks, but does not put in the time that Icon does, they are more concerned turning out race shocks for long travel applications. i'm running both on my truck right now and will continue to buy shocks from both companies.

i was so impressed with my bolt on OE replacemet coilovers that when i went LT i got icon coilovers for my TC kit.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #245
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #247
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

how about both?

i have icon CO's up front and king bypass and air bumps out back

no complaints about either... and i doubt i ever will
Old 06-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #248
So.Cal Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeremy
So.Cal Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Dont the Icons give you a 1/2 inch more of lift then the Kings on the 2.5 bolt in coilovers?
Old 06-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #249
S.S.T. is on a distinguished road
S.S.T.'s Tacoma Gallery
Installed my Icons yesterday. I've only driven about 30 miles on road but love them so far. Need some new UCAs and take this baby to the dirt!
Old 07-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #250
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
ICON FTW!
Old 08-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #251
Caperoots will become famous soon enoughCaperoots will become famous soon enough

Name: Keith
Caperoots's Tacoma Gallery
This poll is close. Great info. Either of these will be my next upgrade.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #254
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
What are some of the pros and cons of the king vs icon . I'm about to put a set on my 11' single cab 4x4 with total chaos upper . I was leaning towards icon but everyone I know is saying king .
Old 09-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
What are some of the pros and cons of the king vs icon . I'm about to put a set on my 11' single cab 4x4 with total chaos upper . I was leaning towards icon but everyone I know is saying king .
to put it simply... you can't go wrong with either...

both companies make outstanding products. king specializes in high performance race/ prerunner application shocks while icon dominates the OE bolt on shock market.

but that doesnt mean both companies aren't good at both. i have icon and king on my truck
Old 09-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #256
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Doh ! I have read this thread a couple times and still can't decide lol . I was leaning towards the icons with resi because it says it offers a extra 1/2 inch of lift and has nitro steel shafts that won't rust or chip and being black is nice . I just went by a local fab shop and all three of the workers recommended king . I plan to beat on them pretty hard and was just trying to figure out which would better suit my truck . It looks like king I guess because I really don't want to hear " I told you so " haha . Decisions decisions !
Old 09-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #257

Quote:
Doh ! I have read this thread a couple times and still can't decide lol . I was leaning towards the icons with resi because it says it offers a extra 1/2 inch of lift and has nitro steel shafts that won't rust or chip and being black is nice . I just went by a local fab shop and all three of the workers recommended king . I plan to beat on them pretty hard and was just trying to figure out which would better suit my truck . It looks like king I guess because I really don't want to hear " I told you so " haha . Decisions decisions !
there is a good chance those dudes at the shop have never heard of Icon. they are still kinda small time in the grand scheme of things, but they are def top notch and very innovative.

you will not have anybody telling you i told you so if you go with king or icon. the nice thing about icons is if you pair the Icon extended travel CO's with a set of uni ball UCA (TC or camburg) you can gain almost an extra inch of down travel as opposed to the stock length kings... i dont think king offers and ext. length CO
Old 09-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #258
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah another + was icons extended travel Version . I was just checking out your build . Super nice .
Old 09-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #259
dira1987 is a jewel in the roughdira1987 is a jewel in the roughdira1987 is a jewel in the roughdira1987 is a jewel in the rough

Name: David
dira1987's Tacoma Gallery
I have the icons on my truck and i love them. Obviously i only have the stock trd suspension to compare them to but the icons still impress me everytime im out on the trails. Dont regret my purchase at all!
Old 09-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #260

Quote:
Yeah another + was icons extended travel Version . I was just checking out your build . Super nice .
thanks dude. i'm hitting up pismo tomorrow...check my build later this weekend for more pics