Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Icon coilovers or the King RR coilovers?

View Poll Results: Icon coilovers or the King RR coilovers?
Icon 371 50.61%
King RR 362 49.39%
Voters: 733. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #281
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Awe. Reading some if my noob posts when I was trying to decide on my set up . Good stuff .
Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #282
JerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Jerry
JerryTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the Icon stage 4 with the compression adjuster nobs and 2.5 inch rear shocks with remote resis... Buttery smooth and way better than the stock TRD suspension.. Totally in love with this set up
Old 02-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #283
B11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
B11's Tacoma Gallery
I've been trying to decide on which to go with between these two, King and ICON, for the last couple weeks. After reading as much as I can find and talking to MANY different companies that sell both of these products I've come to the conclusion they both are top notch and neither is really any better than the other. I was initially leaning toward King's product but my Tacoma is black and the blue shocks and springs, IMO, wouldn't look good and I don't see the point of paying extra to special order black King's when I can get ICONS that are equally as good and are already black and silver.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #284
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryTaco View Post
I went with the Icon stage 4 with the compression adjuster nobs and 2.5 inch rear shocks with remote resis... Buttery smooth and way better than the stock TRD suspension.. Totally in love with this set up
Nice man....already running those compression adjusters huh? What did they run you? Need to come wheeling with us AZ guys soon!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #285
JerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Jerry
JerryTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Nice man....already running those compression adjusters huh? What did they run you? Need to come wheeling with us AZ guys soon!
Thanks man, I am really happy with them so far.. SDHQ charged me roughly $1,600 for them, but I got a bunch of other stuff at the same time so I had a pretty good sized bill..

Anyhow, I'd love to go wheeling and meet some of you guys..
Old 03-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #286
BeEatNU is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
BeEatNU's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B11 View Post
I've been trying to decide on which to go with between these two, King and ICON, for the last couple weeks. After reading as much as I can find and talking to MANY different companies that sell both of these products I've come to the conclusion they both are top notch and neither is really any better than the other. I was initially leaning toward King's product but my Tacoma is black and the blue shocks and springs, IMO, wouldn't look good and I don't see the point of paying extra to special order black King's when I can get ICONS that are equally as good and are already black and silver.
I have graphite, and I am in the same situation but I was like fuck it. I just got my kings installed, they feel amazing. it sucks they are just blue/silver unless you special order which I learned after the fact :/

My emblems are hydrodipped with a special pattern that contains mainly red
Old 08-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #287
Total Automotive Performance
TacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bobby
TacoDeLaPlaya's Tacoma Gallery
I was at icon yesterday to pick up a few peoples orders and I will say as far as the attitude of the employees and the pace of work being done icon is the way to go. Toyotas are their bread and butter so I believe they are the best choice for any of us on this forum.

For all out race performance king is probably better.

I think icon is more customer oriented and they are always trying to develope new products. If we give our money to king were just gonna see more shock applications come out, no new products for us. If you use icon your going to see new uca designs with improvements like the new tubulars and the dust cap which no one else has thought of or offered til now. This is for the customer aimed at prolonging the life of the joint and keeping noise down. From the sales manager at icon, these were designed because the customers were asking for it. No one else is that responsive to us.

They have been around since 2000 under a different name which had great products for a great price, they tried to price themselves so that everyone could afford their c/o's and I appreciate that. They are employee owned so everyone has an interest in turing out the highest quality part or giving the best customer service.

I'm not a multimillionaire with a tt or class 1 so I prefer icon
Old 08-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #288
To Be Continued...........
KevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Kev
KevbekTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
This thread might also help you make up your mind!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...stage-2-a.html
Old 09-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #289
dillonk1602 is on a distinguished road
Name: dillon
dillonk1602's Tacoma Gallery
I like icon but so fair as rebuilding them it a bitch
Old 10-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #291
06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonk1602 View Post
I like icon but so fair as rebuilding them it a bitch
This is why I prefer King. The Schrader valve for King versus the needle port on Icon makes it easier and less stress to rebuild them. However, they are both great shocks and I beat the crap out of my old Donahoe Racing (now Icon) coilovers back in the day with no issues.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #292
He gotta real perty mouth aint he
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allen
HBtaco02's Tacoma Gallery
I have kings and love them. I called their customer service and they were great. Icons are good ae well. Just pick a color.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #293
Direct Representative
ICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shedICONRep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ICONRep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06HAOLE View Post
This is why I prefer King. The Schrader valve for King versus the needle port on Icon makes it easier and less stress to rebuild them. However, they are both great shocks and I beat the crap out of my old Donahoe Racing (now Icon) coilovers back in the day with no issues.
One reason we use the charge port is they hold in the nitrogen better with out leaking down. Schraders tend to leak down over time. A Schrader is easier to fill in some ways (mainly because more people have the tool for this vs the needle fill tool), and we do use these on remote reservoir applications as they are usually easy to get to if a re - charge is required on the vehicle. Now on an IFP coilover, many times the factory mount can make it very tight to use a Schrader with out contacting the mount or for that matter even have the ability to slip a fill chuck over to re-charge. With that said it does make sense to use a charge port so they have less chance of leakage, ultimately keeping performance at its prime with out the worry of low nitrogen levels.

Besides the charge port, which is really not that big a deal, our coilovers are not much different to service than the others. We do sell a $30.00 needle fill tool for charge ports if anyone was looking for an inexpensive option.