Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Icon coilovers or the King RR coilovers?

View Poll Results: Icon coilovers or the King RR coilovers?
Icon 371 50.75%
King RR 360 49.25%
Voters: 731. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2009, 08:47 PM   #81
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc2008 View Post
King sucks!! they're rough as hell, go for Sway Away, that's what I have all around and they're the best band for the buck, same maker for Camburg...
hahaha sway away? really? dude those suck.... like everyone i know have had the absolute worst exprience with them

EDIT: i know its from the first page but IMHO
Old 10-31-2009, 09:40 PM   #82
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Downsouth Motorsports's Tacoma Gallery
Hello everyone and Happy Halloween,
Daughters Birthday today...Spending some time with the family...
I did have a question for "TC2008" and no I am not trying to start an argument...
Just More curious then anything.....Why do you say King Sucks????
I know you said they are rough as hell and I know I am coming in on the 5th page,
But if you do not mind, I would be curoius to know why....
Thank you and any information would be greatly appreciated....
Have a Happy Halloween...
Sonny
Old 10-31-2009, 09:54 PM   #83
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Canadianboy's Tacoma Gallery
I find my Icons ride a bit rough - well, rougher then I thought they were going to be. But I suppose everyone has a different point of reference...
Old 10-31-2009, 09:57 PM   #84
KR FAB
sandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandman427 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Amir
sandman427's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsouth Motorsports View Post
Hello everyone and Happy Halloween,
Daughters Birthday today...Spending some time with the family...
I did have a question for "TC2008" and no I am not trying to start an argument...
Just More curious then anything.....Why do you say King Sucks????
I know you said they are rough as hell and I know I am coming in on the 5th page,
But if you do not mind, I would be curoius to know why....
Thank you and any information would be greatly appreciated....
Have a Happy Halloween...
Sonny
ya i was wondering the same cuz i have kings and they are amazing....
Old 10-31-2009, 10:29 PM   #85
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Downsouth Motorsports's Tacoma Gallery
Canadianoy, If you do not mind me asking why do you think the ICONS ride rough?
What is the spring rate?
Just curious
Thanks
Old 10-31-2009, 11:21 PM   #86
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Canadianboy's Tacoma Gallery
I've never had any other aftermarket coilovers, so don't have much to compare them too. But, I can feel every small bump in the road, and when hitting some bumps, it just feels rough. I guess, just not as smooth as I thought they were gonna be. In any case, I'm not too worried about it. Its a truck and I didn't lift it and put bigger tires on it for it to ride like a caddy, it just that everyone says they ride sooo good, but thats not my impression after the install.

Edit: not sure about the spring rate
Old 11-01-2009, 06:30 AM   #87
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianboy View Post
I've never had any other aftermarket coilovers, so don't have much to compare them too. But, I can feel every small bump in the road, and when hitting some bumps, it just feels rough. I guess, just not as smooth as I thought they were gonna be. In any case, I'm not too worried about it. Its a truck and I didn't lift it and put bigger tires on it for it to ride like a caddy, it just that everyone says they ride sooo good, but thats not my impression after the install.

How much lift do you have the coils set at? It's hard to tell in your pics but the truck looks pretty leveled out, which might be close to 3" of lift?? Have you tried backing down on them a little and see if that softens them up? How is the ride quality on the back?
Old 11-01-2009, 06:58 AM   #88
sibanez is on a distinguished road
sibanez's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sibanez
I have run Donahoes/Icons on all three of my trucks (2005 Tacoma, 2002 Tacoma and 2003 4Runner). Icons are a great coilover, but I would never say they provide a smooth ride. They have a 650lb spring which is significantly firmer than what comes on a factory coilover and even though they have digressive valving, they are valved for a firmer ride. This is why you will feel a lot of bumps when you drive, but you'll also notice that your truck responds better to them.

The King coilovers come with a softer spring (I think 550lbs) and aren't valved the same so they provide a softer ride. It doesn't feel as sporty, but it is smoother. I ran them for a few months on my 2005 and felt the Kings were a good coilover, but I didn't like how they felt on the street. Maybe a bit too soft, but they did well off-road. I wouldn't say they were better than the Icons though, but very different.

As for the guy who said Sway-A-Ways ride like crap, well, that definitely isn't the case. I ran a set on my 2002 Tacoma and only sold them because I went with an extended Donahoe. Sway-A-Ways are a performance coilover and will perform well off road and on road. Again, they have sportier valving and heavier spring so you will feel more of the road, but they respond well when you are going fast and getting air or climbing over rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianboy View Post

Old 11-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #89
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
my kings are sweet, could not be happier with the ride, and the fox's i have in back are smooth as well, thanks to Sonny at down south. Kings all the way.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #90
Old Guy Member
satchsd is just really nicesatchsd is just really nicesatchsd is just really nicesatchsd is just really nice

Air Force: mech
satchsd's Tacoma Gallery
Just put kings on all around and the ride is much better than stock. Haven't been offroad yet but have hit some good size dips and they handled them well
Old 11-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #92
GUNZ213 is on a distinguished road

Name: Pete
GUNZ213's Tacoma Gallery
just installed my kings front and rear....and man ooo man. can you say PLUSH!!!!! not to mention those shinny resi's in the wheel wells look MEAN!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:19 AM   #94
sincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to all
sincitytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNZ213 View Post
just installed my kings front and rear....and man ooo man. can you say PLUSH!!!!! not to mention those shinny resi's in the wheel wells look MEAN!!!
I heard these were the stiffest coilover. My Icons are pretty stiff, but I thought Kings were even stiffer than Icons.

Hey Chris do you know definitively which is "softer"
Old 11-10-2009, 02:20 AM   #95
Bearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Bunch-O-Bullshit
Bearskill's Tacoma Gallery
Wow! I can't believe this thread is still going! I started it a year ago! I got my Icons last Nov. Could not be happier with them. It was a tough choice though. The Kings look and sound sweet. Just didn't need RR. Im about to get home from ANOTHER deployment. Going to get Some OME Dakars for the rear new shocks and a one piece DS. Should be done with the truck for a while after that.........ya right.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:16 AM   #96
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincitytaco View Post
I heard these were the stiffest coilover. My Icons are pretty stiff, but I thought Kings were even stiffer than Icons.

Hey Chris do you know definitively which is "softer"
have them valved for what you want, spring rates blah blah blah, call Sonny at downsouthmortorsports and he could take care of it. I have kings and love them, rides like a caddy, other people i know have kings love them, not too many shops will rebuild icon's due to special tools, that is out for me. Kings all the way
Old 11-10-2009, 07:16 AM   #97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Jerk View Post
hahaha sway away? really? dude those suck.... like everyone i know have had the absolute worst exprience with them

EDIT: i know its from the first page but IMHO
hey jerk i had sway a ways and they were great.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #98
"Let's Ride!"
Padilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant future

Name: Daniel
Padilla1880's Tacoma Gallery
King for me! If you look around the industry the standard is pretty much King.

Hey Steve (baja) you get that shock fixed yet?
Old 11-13-2009, 08:55 AM   #99
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
not too many shops will rebuild icons due to special tools
Quote:
icon rear shocks are crap
Is this true? I've been researching through my local shop, and their options are ICON or SAW. They said that ICON has shown better customer service and has better response time in getting parts to the shop, but otherwise the two were similar.
Once I start getting serious, I don't want to find out I went and dumped extra money towards a trashy rear shock that can't be rebuilt.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
Is this true? I've been researching through my local shop, and their options are ICON or SAW. They said that ICON has shown better customer service and has better response time in getting parts to the shop, but otherwise the two were similar.
Once I start getting serious, I don't want to find out I went and dumped extra money towards a trashy rear shock that can't be rebuilt.
the rear shock you can't rebuild, the front you can but i have heard that you need special tools to take them apart. i do not know that first hand.