Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

More rear travel? 06 Double Cab

Old 03-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
CaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant future
CaptMorgan's Tacoma Gallery
More rear travel? 06 Double Cab

Hello,

I am interested in getting more travel out of the rear of my truck. Seems like I have bottom out a few times in the rear where I don't even think I have really maxed out the front yet. Right now I have the 3 leaf AAL progressive pack from wheelers, stock bump stops and some fox resi 2.0 shocks. Getting Timbrens bump stops sounds like it would make it smoother but seems like a band-aid so I am interested in actually gaining some travel.

What are some options?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
If I understand what you're saying, you are bottoming out the rear suspension? Two ways to fix that. Either more lift which won't necessarily increase travel, but it can depending on what you use. Or you increase your spring rate and shock valving to handle increased load and compression of the suspension. Either option can cause a more harsh ride.

Bottoming out the suspension isn't necessarily a problem unless its compressing too far and damaging the springs or bottoming out your shocks. That's the reason there are bumpstops to begin with. Timbrems might actually be a good option.

What kind of wheeling are you doing when you bottom out? Is it slow rock crawling or are you bombing down fire roads in the desert? If it's high speed stuff then you're probably gonna want some good bumpstops no matter what.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
CaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant future
CaptMorgan's Tacoma Gallery
I do mostly high speed fire road stuff. I have bottomed the the rear a few times which is i'm looking into my options to gain more travel. I'm not interested in stiffening the suspension because I like the ride ( all the way until it bottoms out ) and think it would buck more.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Then some good bumpstops are what you need.