This is the follow up thread for those interested in the one i started about putting an ome 884 or 885 into a double cab. I know that many members have installed various ome products and the results seem to vary from time to time. These are my results. Everybody needs to do their own research and decide for themselves what best suits them for their purposes. I used the results from others and advice from people before making my decision. I post this in hopes it helps somebody as others have helped me.
link to the first thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ouble-cab.html
I wanted to lift around 2 inches and keep some rake for when we tow. I plan on keeping stock tire diameter so my ratio while towing is not affected. I wanted to avoid uca changes , alignment problems and drive line issues if at all possible. I had the tsb completed last jan 2010 with around 58000 km (36000 miles) . Now the truck has 77000 km (47846 miles). We tow approximately 5-7000km (3-4500 miles ) per year. We have a leer 100r cap. The stock Dunlop tires are 245 75 16 and are still on. I will not be changing the tires for a couple of weeks so that a new tire feel or balancing issues wouldn’t be miss interpreted as something from the lift products. An alignment will be completed in a couple of weeks just after the new tires are installed.
Products purchased—OME 884 coils, 9000 sport/ n-182 shocks, tsb aal (deaver), 5 mm spacer, and cb drop ( to be installed if required) , new u bolts and hardware. Thanks Toytec. I had obtained a stock set of struts from a 2010 with 5000 km (3000 miles) so the top mounts could be used for the new coils (saved money here). I will keep my original struts unmolested . I have obtained a used all pro skid (good price) for the “just in case”.
I had the two new struts preassembled before starting. Installation went surprisingly well. I am not a mechanic but think of myself as pretty hands on and have been intimate more than a few times with various vehicles over the years. I had printed out the sticky’s so i had the proper torque’s for the various bolts and pictures. The front two struts where changed in about 3-4 hrs by myself. The rear took 4-5 hours the next day, again by myself. I had to remove the sway bar completely on the front to help me and i found that 2 C clamps compressing the rear pack back together with the aal inside helped keep the hole lined up better. I noticed that the aal leafs where not exactly the same. One had a ¼ inch more arch than the other. I put that one on the drivers side because of the gas tank. Really have to watch the rubber break lines to the axle. I had removed the bracket but the new center pin was so long that when the axle was lowered to re-insert the pin from underneath i noticed the lines looking tight. I gently moved the bracket away from the axle and then it went in. Could have cut the pin shorter first but didn’t want the threads to be mangled or flattened to allow proper tightening. The bottom of the ome rear shock had trouble entering the stock mount. Either the original had been over tightened or the bushing of the new one is a little longer?? Not sure but both had to be widened before the new shock would fit in, with encouragement . After the front was done and before any work was started on the rear i drove a few miles to see what it felt like. This way anything different could be identified as resulting from the fronts work and not the back. All was fine.
I have drove the truck a few times now and have not felt anything odd. The cb drop has not been installed yet. The skid plate is installed now ( apprx 40 – 50 lbs) and i have a very large piece of concrete in the rear (that i use for winter weight) to help settle everything in before the alignment and new tires in 2 weeks.
The ride is really not much firmer or harder than the stock but it does feel more “controlled”. I never actually disliked the stock ride but found it lacking in control. When driving over some larger pot holes or a set of not to friendly railway tracks it seemed to over react and seemed wild, like it was too much to handle and you should have slowed down more. The new set up handles these and seem to say is that all you can throw at me. Seems more grown up. The way it should have been from the factory IMO.
Pics of the parts and some installation are in my gallery. These two are the before and after. The after has the weight in the rear and the skid underneath. Will post measurements after the alignment.