Hello someone guide me right. I read over a stick somewhere and while I feel I know more, I still am confused. Got an 03 Tacoma PreRunner TRD Xtra Cab.
I know I need some different shocks. The truck has 94K miles on it. I know not a lot. But the front stock shocks are for sure shot. Bounces sometimes, especially when I turn. Rear not too sure but probably.
I want to do a small lift. I do not do ANY off roading etc. Occasionally might haul something in the bed. Some of my questions I'm confused about.
1) How do I know if I need new springs also? 94K miles aint a lot for springs I dont think.
2) If I dont need new springs, I thought I read that if I add the 5100s and set to 2.5 I will only get about an inch of travel out of the shock?
3) If I dont get new springs, would you guys just get some OME or 5100s, not adjust them out and then just add a strutspacer at the top so the spring doesnt preload? If that's how it works. Any other ideas?
4) So saying I add that to the front (strutspacer) and do 2.5 or so what do I need for the back. I already read about the blocks and axle warp, the adj shackles and wearing out the leaf packs, and AALs. I'm liking the AAL for extra load capacity, but doesn't the axle warp only come into effect when under high torque situations like offroading etc or once you go ever x number of inches?
5) Whats with this UCA everyone talks about? So if I keep the springs, add a spacer and new shocks to raise it 2.5 or 3" then I also will need another UCA?? I dont have 4 wheel drive or anything, so kinda confused about when you need that and when you dont.
Thanks if someone can clear this up for me.