Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Toytec Ultimate lift kit V.S. Bilstein Adjustable lift kit with 5100 shocks

Old 04-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
whiteboytoy05 is on a distinguished road
whiteboytoy05's Tacoma Gallery
Toytec Ultimate lift kit V.S. Bilstein Adjustable lift kit with 5100 shocks

I have been doing research on lift kits and have narrowed it down to toytec due to the adjustability. However I am on a fixed budget and the $500 dollar diffrence in these lifts makes me lean towards the bilstein adjustable lift kit with 5100 shocks. Can anyone clearify why there is such a diffrence in pricing between this and the ultimate lift kit, and if the price diffrence is worth it? I am not a serious off roader but would like the lift to last, as well as having a smooth ride. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboytoy05 View Post
I have been doing research on lift kits and have narrowed it down to toytec due to the adjustability. However I am on a fixed budget and the $500 dollar diffrence in these lifts makes me lean towards the bilstein adjustable lift kit with 5100 shocks. Can anyone clearify why there is such a diffrence in pricing between this and the ultimate lift kit, and if the price diffrence is worth it? I am not a serious off roader but would like the lift to last, as well as having a smooth ride. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The Toytec adjustable coilovers have an adjustable collar so you can set them at any height you like (0-3") while they are still on the truck.

The bilstein 5100's have 4 distinct settings, 0",0.85", 1.75", 2.5", and they need to be removed from the truck and taken apart to adjust.

The Toytec coilovers actually use the Bilstein 5100's as the shock, so the extra $$ you are talking about is solely for the convenience of adjustability.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
DrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
The Toytec adjustable coilovers have an adjustable collar so you can set them at any height you like (0-3") while they are still on the truck.

The bilstein 5100's have 4 distinct settings, 0",0.85", 1.75", 2.5", and they need to be removed from the truck and taken apart to adjust.

I'd listen to him... he knows stuff about stuff.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
You're my boy blue
Blue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Dylan
Blue's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewH View Post
x2
Old 04-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewH View Post
lol i'd x3 this statement
Old 04-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #6
fjrmurph will become famous soon enoughfjrmurph will become famous soon enough
fjrmurph's Tacoma Gallery
ok so ball park what is the difference in price to have the convenince of the adjustable lift height ?? I am just about to go for the Toytec ULK is it worth it??? THKS
Old 04-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
CdnSldr is on a distinguished road
Army: Vehicle Tech. CPL, Maint. Coy, 18 Service Battalion
Name: Josh
CdnSldr's Tacoma Gallery
The ULK comes ready to go. As in, you dont need a spring compressor to assemble the strut.

I believe that if you dont get the ULK you will need to get a new upper strut mount and bushing or reuse the stock one. I am not 100% about this tho. I got the ULK so the install was sh*t simple.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Just save yourself some money and buy the 5100 alone the ULK is garbadge for the price all your getting is 5100's with some threads to adjust and from what I hear there a PITA to adjust if you want real adjustable coil overs go buy icons or kings and if not just get 5100's. Just my 2c
Old 04-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Another option would be the $650 package with eibach springs, aal and 5100s all around. You would just need a spring compressor to install them. That would be better than setting the 5100s at 2.5 on your stock springs. There is also a radflo package for the same price as the toytec set up but dont know many running those shocks. I really like my toytec's and I off-road frequently. Sounds like you are interested in the adjustability and that's why I got them. You can compersate for the lean and tire fitment too. New UCA's will most likely save you headaches in the long run.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnSldr View Post
The ULK comes ready to go. As in, you dont need a spring compressor to assemble the strut.

I believe that if you dont get the ULK you will need to get a new upper strut mount and bushing or reuse the stock one. I am not 100% about this tho. I got the ULK so the install was sh*t simple.
You can indeed re-use the old top plate and bushings.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
whiteboytoy05 is on a distinguished road
whiteboytoy05's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the input, looks like im gonna save myself some money and just rent a spring compressor and go with the $650 setup
Old 04-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #12
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
I sold my ULK and went with RCD. After I adjusted my ULK the ride was too rough and it increased my CV angle too much causing me to blow CV boots.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #13
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Look into the 1/4" spacer for the taco lean as it seems most people are using those!
Old 04-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboytoy05 View Post
Thanks for all the input, looks like im gonna save myself some money and just rent a spring compressor and go with the $650 setup
Im with Jlee... I have installed and attempted to adjust more than one self of the toytec coilovers. Unless you are dead set on some oddball adjustment setting just stick with 5100s. With other coilovers you get a lot more than just adjustability. You get valving and spring rates made specifically for your truck. So just put the 5100s on til you can save enough money to get a set of real coilovers. The Toytecs are a nightmare to adjust on the truck because you have to hold the sleeve while you turn the large nut.

As for the spring compressor. I highly suggest you take your shocks to a shop and have them swapped for you. Its not terribly expensive and far far far more safe then renting or borrowing a set of suicide sticks.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #15
K1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kanon
K1992f's Tacoma Gallery
I wold rather pay another 400 and get the rcd lift
Old 04-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #16

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
I guess people have had issues with toytec but mine are easy to adjust and perform well! I can only speak from my experience but doubt its a fluke I got a good set, but it is what it is. You just have to decide if you need a high end off road shock or not. 5100s set at 2.5 would be easy but sounds like they don't ride as good as upgrading the springs. Great idea from the FJ dude on having a shop assemble them, will make things much easier....and safer. Thats what I did.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #17
Rob2.7Taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Rob
Rob2.7Taco's Tacoma Gallery
What height would i set the front 5100's to level my stock prerunner?
Old 04-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #18
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the ULK and I really like it. I haven't messed with adjusting it just yet but I will be adjusting the passenger side very soon. The passenger side is currently sitting higher than the driver's side.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #19
2005tacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
2005tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have a stock 2005 double cab that im looking to lift. if i go with the bilsteins can i adjust it to a 2" lift in the front? and if i do that will i still need UCAs and the diff drop?

Thanks