Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

aal question/5100 setting question

Old 04-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
aal question/5100 setting question

sorry if this is redundant but i searched and can't quite find what i'm looking for. everything i find seems to be for the 1.5 tsb aal. i have an 05 std cab. i want to do a minor lift, i was looking at the 1.5 aal but on toytecs website it says thats for tsb springs. so here's question one.

1. can i use those aal's for my truck, and if i do will it lift the rear 1.5 inchs?

now for the front, i like the factory rake on my truck. lets say i would install these 1.5" aal's:

2. what setting would i use on the 5100's to maintain the existing rake or at least come close to it? .85 seems like its a big difference from the 1.5.

or if i can't use the 1.5, i see there is a 2" AAL, i'm assuming a 1.75 setting on the front shocks would be sufficient? and from what i've read so far, i won't need to do anything with the rest of the truck (brake lines, cv angles etc..) until lifting 3" or higher, is that correct?

and lastly, does anyone who does not have the tsb springs with the 1.5 or 2" AAL have any pics of their trucks?

thanks
Old 04-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by danteisme View Post
sorry if this is redundant but i searched and can't quite find what i'm looking for. everything i find seems to be for the 1.5 tsb aal. i have an 05 std cab. i want to do a minor lift, i was looking at the 1.5 aal but on toytecs website it says thats for tsb springs. so here's question one.

1. can i use those aal's for my truck, and if i do will it lift the rear 1.5 inchs?

now for the front, i like the factory rake on my truck. lets say i would install these 1.5" aal's:

2. what setting would i use on the 5100's to maintain the existing rake or at least come close to it? .85 seems like its a big difference from the 1.5.

or if i can't use the 1.5, i see there is a 2" AAL, i'm assuming a 1.75 setting on the front shocks would be sufficient? and from what i've read so far, i won't need to do anything with the rest of the truck (brake lines, cv angles etc..) until lifting 3" or higher, is that correct?

and lastly, does anyone who does not have the tsb springs with the 1.5 or 2" AAL have any pics of their trucks?

thanks

1. Yes you can use the 1.5" TSB AAL even if you do not have the TSB
2. 1.75" up front with 1.5" rear will still give you a slight rake. I am level with 1.75" up front an 1" rear. Lots of folks do 2.5" up front, 1.5" rear to level.

Toyotec also makes a 2" AAL, it's on their website. Plenty of pics around this site of folks with AAL's and no rear TSB.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
ah ok, good to know
Old 04-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
tb99trd is on a distinguished road

Name: Tom
tb99trd's Tacoma Gallery
do you have to get longer than stock shocks for the back with a 2" AAL? i'm about to do the billies set at 2.5" thing with the toytec AAL and no one talks about the length of the rear shocks. i don't even know what the stock length is. dumb question?
Old 04-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
sambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sam
sambojee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb99trd View Post
do you have to get longer than stock shocks for the back with a 2" AAL? i'm about to do the billies set at 2.5" thing with the toytec AAL and no one talks about the length of the rear shocks. i don't even know what the stock length is. dumb question?
ive been asking this question too for awhile but know one knows so i said screw it and maxed out my back end myself ( i have stock shocks in the back but i have 1.5 AAL in the back and 5100s set at 2.5 with stock everything else) and it didnt snap the shock or anything, my tire was almost off the ground and the other side was close from hitting the fender but all did great
Old 04-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #7

tb99trd's Tacoma Gallery
nice that's kind of reassuring... anyone else? and how's it feel with the 2.5 in front? no need for UCAs?
Old 04-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
You will be fine with no UCA's.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #9
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure about 2nd gens. but the info I've gotten is you should not do the AAL with the stock Bilsteins on a 1st gen. It may have something to do with fact that 1st gens are side specific in regards to the rear susp.

Longer rear shock to pass. side, shorter rear shock to driverside....
Old 04-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #10
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
That doesn't apply to the 2nd gen.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #12

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Good man
Old 04-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #14

tb99trd's Tacoma Gallery
nice thanks doug. i had no idea they were 2 diff lengths in the rear. so i just need to find out how long each of those are and go 2" longer i guess
Old 04-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #15

tb99trd's Tacoma Gallery
doug you're the fucking man! i spent the last hour reading your 10 page build thread. how much are you charging for your junkyard leaf packs? and can you do a 2" version? also, you're using the same shocks in the rear with your 3" lift as you were when it was stock, right? so i could just buy the stock length 5100s when i do my 2" lift...
Old 04-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #16
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb99trd View Post
doug you're the fucking man! i spent the last hour reading your 10 page build thread. how much are you charging for your junkyard leaf packs? and can you do a 2" version? also, you're using the same shocks in the rear with your 3" lift as you were when it was stock, right? so i could just buy the stock length 5100s when i do my 2" lift...

Thanks buddy !! , I'm not sure what I would charge for a rebuilt pack , I've just thrown this idea out there for those who need the refreshing of there springs, want a lift up to (& beyond I reckon) 3"-4" in the rear & want a much improved on /offroad ride, I should do a detailed write up for a "start to finish", there are a few here that would probably be willing to "take a chance". As some have told me, makes me laugh, I've already done this to my own truck first & have wheeled it pretty damned hard & gotta say it, absolutely awesome ride , great flexing ability offroad, hasn't lost any arc & have settled nicely, now to your question about shocks, when you refer to the 5100's as a "stock" shock, this is incorrect, the 5100 series IS the upgrade from stock, & yeah you'll have to get the 5100's before spring upgrade & a 2" lift is do-able, if your stock springs are still rebuildable then its relatively cheap , if your serious, we'll talk & yeah they will accomodate 3" lift MAX, anything higher than that then another shock upgrade would be needed.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #17
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Like I 've said before :

"Ain't nothing wrong with these junkyard springs."

Too many here just throw their money in the direction of popular name brand vendors, & thats fine, I just figure why give them all that $$$$ when I accomplished that $ 400 lift for about $40 & change, the kicker is this procedure is actually a better ride thatn they do....

Old 04-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #18

tb99trd's Tacoma Gallery
ok. i figured the 5100s came in various lengths, but apparently they don't. and i thought you were already doing those leaf packs for a couple people. realistically i'll prob just stick with the toytec AAL, esp since you're all the way down in SD. thanks for the info tho, and again, sick truck. a big part of the reason for modding a truck is making it unique, and you've certainly done a good job of that. cheers
Old 04-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #19
B A N N E D
stevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: steven
stevenstaco's Tacoma Gallery
I just put 5100s in the front at 1.75 with stock rear (no tsb) and am still higher in the back by 1/2 inch but looks very level (when its not parked on my slanted driveway)

Attached Thumbnails
aal question/5100 setting question-2-012.jpg   aal question/5100 setting question-2-011.jpg  
Old 04-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #20
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Tom, yeah the leaf pack building is something I've just started & it's worked out well for me so far & figured it would help out others too, the 2 in progress right now are going on 2nd gen. PreRunners that belong to members here in San Diego, & these 2 guys are not afraid of the gas pedal so I want them to see what they'll do, theres will have an extra clamp as will anyone's I do build.

Its kinda like this, I don't have a store front shop (I work out of my garage) but I've been wrenching/MODS on vehicles for 35 years or so..

I'm just an old dude with a couple tools, couple skills, couple of ideas & a vivid imagination....