Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rear 5100 install pain in the rear

Old 04-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
Rear 5100 install pain in the rear

I installed my 5100's yesterday but it wasnt as easy as everyone says on here. I had to put a pair of vice grips on top of the shock to keep it from turning and after that it was ok. Then I took the stock bilstein's off and put the rear 5100's on and it a pain to get the shock compressed and get the bolt through the mount at the same time. A little wd 40 on the rubber mounts helped but keeping the shock compressed was extremely hard while trying to get the bolt through. I love them though. Just not as easy as you think if your going to install yourself
Old 04-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
I installed my 5100's yesterday but it wasnt as easy as everyone says on here. I had to put a pair of vice grips on top of the shock to keep it from turning and after that it was ok. Then I took the stock bilstein's off and put the rear 5100's on and it a pain to get the shock compressed and get the bolt through the mount at the same time. A little wd 40 on the rubber mounts helped but keeping the shock compressed was extremely hard while trying to get the bolt through. I love them though. Just not as easy as you think if your going to install yourself
The top of the 5100's have an allen wrench hole so you can prevent them from spinning while tightening the bolt.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Aren't you supposed to lift up the frame with another jack, then slowly lower the axle jack, until the axle is at full droop?
Old 04-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Aren't you supposed to lift up the frame with another jack, then slowly lower the axle jack, until the axle is at full droop?
Yes, this also....
Old 04-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
if you have to ask, u can't afford it
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ray
tacobo670's Tacoma Gallery
mine were easy. i put the procomp mx-6. grow stronger.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
The top of the 5100's have an allen wrench hole so you can prevent them from spinning while tightening the bolt.
I realize that, the stock ones were the hard ones to get off.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
When I did mine I put the rear axle on jack stands, then when I was ready to install the lower bolt, I put the jack under my hitch and jacked the body up so the bolt slipped right in. I used the same technique for my AAL install and the axle shims.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_TACO View Post
When I did mine I put the rear axle on jack stands, then when I was ready to install the lower bolt, I put the jack under my hitch and jacked the body up so the bolt slipped right in. I used the same technique for my AAL install and the axle shims.
Well that sounds way better than what I did, you live and you learn, My shoulders are killing me from compressing those things, think I tore something..... haha but no really
Old 04-10-2011, 06:35 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
I realize that, the stock ones were the hard ones to get off.
I had to cut my stockers off. I couldn't get enough grip on the shock body with channel locks to back the top nut off. PB Blaster didn't even do the trick so I resorted to a hack saw. Installing the 5100's was a breeze though, just put the tops loosely in place, lay on your back under the truck, push up to compress the shock and let it come down into the shock seat. I had to use a center punch to line up the hole in order to get the bolt through but overall I didn't think it was an overly difficult process at all.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I had to cut my stockers off. I couldn't get enough grip on the shock body with channel locks to back the top nut off. PB Blaster didn't even do the trick so I resorted to a hack saw. Installing the 5100's was a breeze though, just put the tops loosely in place, lay on your back under the truck, push up to compress the shock and let it come down into the shock seat. I had to use a center punch to line up the hole in order to get the bolt through but overall I didn't think it was an overly difficult process at all.

it wasnt to bad just painful, when compressing the shock with one hand and bolt in the other trying to get it through, When I got it though it was like the first time I.....haha well you know