Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Icon Add A Leaf or Skyjacker Leaf Springs?

Old 04-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdracing5's Tacoma Gallery
Icon Add A Leaf or Skyjacker Leaf Springs?

Ok based on the feedback I got on my previous post (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...eafs-shot.html)I have decided that my rear leafs need some help.
So which choice should I make?
Option #1-GET A ADD A LEAF
Icon Add A Leaf (approximately $180)

Option #2-REPLACE THE LEAF SPRING
Skyjacker Softride Lifting Leaf Springs (approximately $350 on sale from $425)

I can get a crazy good deal on the skyjacker leaf springs. If it wasn't for the crazy good deal I would probably not even consider replacing the leaf springs.

So any feedback on either option?

Old 04-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
if you can afford it, id say just replace the springs all together. youll get a better ride than adding an aal to what you have already.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not familiar with the 1gen leaf pack, but it looks like yours could use replacement anyway.

I would just make your choice on cost: want to spend it, get new leaf pack; don't want to spend it get an AAL, hell get a $50 AAL (no reason to spend $180 on an AAL, unless you're talking install too).

You can also go to a spring shop and have your current leafs 're-arched' to factory height, then add the AAL for lift.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
KBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (DD-214), 3d Marine Division
Name: Kurt
KBToyota's Tacoma Gallery
I am interested in the skyjacker springs also. I think they offer 3.5 inches of lift which would be a little too much.
Do they settle much for a level ride?
Can you remove the overload spring for closer to 3 inches of lift?
Old 04-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
I'm not familiar with the 1gen leaf pack, but it looks like yours could use replacement anyway.

I would just make your choice on cost: want to spend it, get new leaf pack; don't want to spend it get an AAL, hell get a $50 AAL (no reason to spend $180 on an AAL, unless you're talking install too).

You can also go to a spring shop and have your current leafs 're-arched' to factory height, then add the AAL for lift.
The $180 is a 3-leaf progressive rate AAL that's supposed to ride a lot better than the cheap $50 single AAL.

I'd go for the leaf pack if it's within your means and you plan to keep your truck for at least another 2 years. The AAL would be a temporary band-aid that would buy you some time but you'd be in the same situation in a few years. If you just need something temporary, get the cheap single AAL to get you buy for now. Kinda depends on your situation.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
The $180 is a 3-leaf progressive rate AAL that's supposed to ride a lot better than the cheap $50 single AAL.

I'd go for the leaf pack if it's within your means and you plan to keep your truck for at least another 2 years. The AAL would be a temporary band-aid that would buy you some time but you'd be in the same situation in a few years. If you just need something temporary, get the cheap single AAL to get you buy for now. Kinda depends on your situation.
Ah ha, I was gonna say, ICON has a hell of a scam going charging $180 for 2 leafs.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:31 AM   #7
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Decided to go with the Icon Add A Leaf from downsouthmotorsports.com
The brown truck just dropped it off and I will plan on installing this weekend.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:01 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdracing5 View Post
Decided to go with the Icon Add A Leaf from downsouthmotorsports.com
The brown truck just dropped it off and I will plan on installing this weekend.
You won't be disappointed, I finally got mine installed and have been very happy with the results!
Old 01-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
stlstrs is just really nicestlstrs is just really nicestlstrs is just really nicestlstrs is just really nice
stlstrs's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of results did you get with the AAL? How has everything held up? I have pretty flat springs and I am trying to decide if an AAL will fix it, or if I need to re-arch and AAL, or just break down and get a new pack.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlstrs View Post
What kind of results did you get with the AAL? How has everything held up? I have pretty flat springs and I am trying to decide if an AAL will fix it, or if I need to re-arch and AAL, or just break down and get a new pack.
If I had to do it over again (and I had the money) I would have purchased the springs. The leafs are OK but are honestly just a temporary fix.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
THIS IS AMERICA!!!
Cortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cortland
Cortland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdracing5 View Post
If I had to do it over again (and I had the money) I would have purchased the springs. The leafs are OK but are honestly just a temporary fix.
What do you like and dislike about the Icon AAL?
Old 04-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortland View Post
What do you like and dislike about the Icon AAL?
I think the AALs are ok. I think my leafs were beyond what a AAL could help so its nothing against the ICON AALs.