Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

TSB Leafs

Old 04-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
Blasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blasphemous's Tacoma Gallery
TSB Leafs

Well here it goes for my first post.

I own a 2008 Sport Package SB Taco. Yes, PreRunner, I know.

I've been hauling loads in the 5-600 lb range lately and started noticing that my truck bed is sagging/bottoming out. Found the TSB info on this site and took it to the dealer. Unfortunately I am out of warranty by a couple months or so.

My question here is what is my next best option?

I will be hauling loads of 500-600 lbs quite regularly in these coming months and plan on hauling a dual axle trailer with ~400lb tongue weight.

I tried using the search function and couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for, apologies if I missed something.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
You can keep an eye out on here and try to pick up a set from someone selling theirs off, add air bags, add an add-a-leaf, buy a more built up leaf pack. If you tow consistantly, the air bags wouldn't be a bad investment but I've heard they limit you if you do any serious off roading.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
AAL, airbags, new leaf packs or used leaf packs.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
Blasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Awesome response time.

Would a Toytec lift kit with an AAL included solve my problem?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
AAL, airbags, new leaf packs or used leaf packs.
Thought I read somewhere in here that AAL doesn't add load carrying capacity?

I'm getting ready to go down this road...thinking about going to Alaska Spring and Performance for their read on my best course. I just want to increase my load carrying capacity for ATV in bed and towing my trailers (approximately 2500 lbs).

Chris4x4...are you out there?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post

I'm getting ready to go down this road...thinking about going to Alaska Spring and Performance for their read on my best course. I just want to increase my load carrying capacity for ATV in bed and towing my trailers (approximately 2500 lbs).

Essentially what I want to do as well.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:

They do not INCREASE load capacity- They do stiffen up the leaf pack which makes the load ride better.

I would look at a whole new leaf pack if you are thinking about a lift.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #8
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
They do not INCREASE load capacity- They do stiffen up the leaf pack which makes the load ride better.

I would look at a whole new leaf pack if you are thinking about a lift.
Thanks Brunes...that's what I thought.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #9
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My understanding was that while it doesn't add load capacity, it does improve load-handling performance of the truck at rated capacity. OP wants to haul 500-600 lbs without sagging and hitting bumps, an AAL helps him with that as does the TSB.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
Are there specific AALs that are better than others? More reputable supplies than others? Not sure where to go to get AALs.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #11
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
Are there specific AALs that are better than others? More reputable supplies than others? Not sure where to go to get AALs.
Downsouth Motorsports sells the Icon 3-Leaf progressive AAL (1.5" lift)
Wheelers Off Road sells their own 3-leaf progressive AAL (1.5" lift) as well as a couple single AAL's for 2" (I think they have a 1.5" also)
Toytec also sells single AALs

I went with Icon's 3-leaf progressive because it is supposed to ride better than the single leaf AAL. I don't haul very often but I'm leaving in my overload leaf for the few cases that I do. The singles I've heard are better for load handling although I have no first hand experience with them.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
The only way to truly increase load capacity is to buy a bigger truck.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #13
The more and more I read the more I realize that this may start becoming expensive.

I'm looking at Toytec's website and it looks like my options are AALs that add 1 1/2 inches or 2 inches. I'm assuming that I go with the 1 1/2 inches?

I imagine my read end being too high after this and then wanting to level the truck. When I should probably just go for a lift kit from the start.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #14
Quote:
The only way to truly increase load capacity is to buy a bigger truck.
I am not trying to increase load capacity. Trying to get the same results as the TSB fix without paying the dealer $1000.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #15
Banned
Quote:
I am not trying to increase load capacity. Trying to get the same results as the TSB fix without paying the dealer $1000.
AAL and call it a day.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #16
Quote:
AAL and call it a day.
Thanks.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #17

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The more and more I read the more I realize that this may start becoming expensive.

I'm looking at Toytec's website and it looks like my options are AALs that add 1 1/2 inches or 2 inches. I'm assuming that I go with the 1 1/2 inches?

I imagine my read end being too high after this and then wanting to level the truck. When I should probably just go for a lift kit from the start.
If you do not want to lift the truck, air bags may not be a bad option for you. That way you can leave them at a low pressure for every day driving and pump them up when you need to tow/haul. You'd remain at stock height but it would make the truck much more stable when loaded. They're more expensive than AAL's but have a different purpose.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #18
Chief Pal Guy

MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
My understanding was that while it doesn't add load capacity, it does improve load-handling performance of the truck at rated capacity. OP wants to haul 500-600 lbs without sagging and hitting bumps, an AAL helps him with that as does the TSB.
Quote:
AAL and call it a day.
Quote:
Thanks.
Maybe all I need is the AAL...I'm not really looking to increase capacity...just handle 600 lbs of ATV without the rear sinking below level and hitting bump stops. With my trailer the truck sits level so that's not a concern. You guys might have just saved me some money.

Thinking I should consult the DSM guys and go AAL and Bilsteins? Does that make sense?

I've been meaning to do the research on this...'bout time I got around to it!

I was 3 months late to get the TSB; bought truck used.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #19
Banned
Quote:
Maybe all I need is the AAL...I'm not really looking to increase capacity...just handle 600 lbs of ATV without the rear sinking below level and hitting bump stops. With my trailer the truck sits level so that's not a concern. You guys might have just saved me some money.

Thinking I should consult the DSM guys and go AAL and Bilsteins? Does that make sense?

I've been meaning to do the research on this...'bout time I got around to it!

I was 3 months late to get the TSB; bought truck used.
I got the TSB done because I haul a quad as well. My quad only weighs 420lbs wet and it still hits the bump stops when loaded down with camping gear. Of course it doesn't do it as much but it still does it.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #20
mpleitez will become famous soon enough
mpleitez's Tacoma Gallery
Airbags

I have airbags but I tow this and they work great. But if you are going to offroad, those bags won't necessarily limit you but will get damaged overtime...trust me I know I wheel my truck and my bags are shot I need new ones from firestone. thay have been on for about 2.5 years. So it depends; I might have some leaf springs available in about a month as soon as I replace my bags I'm switching to the Dakkar leaf pack. I currently have a stock pack with Icon add a leaf.