1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OME lift height

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Largefarva, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Apr 15, 2011 at 5:04 AM
    Largefarva

Largefarva [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fox Lake, IL
    Vehicle:
    '08 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4x4
    First of a few questions I have....what would the lift height be for my '08 double cab with an OME lift installed without the optional top spacers at toytec.com with 885 coils?

Main reason I ask is because I would prefer to avoid having to buy new UCA's so I would like to keep it under 2.5" if possible, plus I'm just looking at upgrading to 32" tires (265/75/R16) on the stock rims. Plus I don't want to worry about the CV angles... If I have to buy new UCA's I obviously will...just prefer to not have the added expense.

Any help and info will be greatly appreciated.

2. Apr 15, 2011 at 5:50 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I have nothing to add but wanted to say your name cracked me up!

3. Apr 15, 2011 at 6:17 AM
    Largefarva

Member:
    Fox Lake, IL
    Vehicle:
    lol Thankya...I get that a lot. :)

4. Apr 15, 2011 at 6:37 AM
    LouTaco

LouTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4R SR5 Premium
    You should just get the 5100 front shocks and use stock coil if your wanting 2.5 but you could just go 885 but stock shocks are not made to take the abuse those springs bring plus i think 885 alone w/o top spacer is almost 3 with its a little over at first since they have settled a bit and are close to exactly 3"

5. Apr 15, 2011 at 6:39 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    It's debatable. Anywhere from 2.5-3" depending on who you talk to.

6. Apr 15, 2011 at 6:46 AM
    Largefarva

Member:
    Fox Lake, IL
    Vehicle:
    Ah ok. I was under the impression that without those spacers it would be likely less than or around 2.5" since it says on the product info page to add them for a full 3" lift.

So it looks like if I go that route then I'll have to get the UCA's after all.

How goofy will it look with the stock rims and tires with this lift...and then later when I wear them down good enough to warrant replacing them...the 265/75/R16's I mentioned earlier? If it will look horrible then maybe I need to think about just going with bilstein 5100's and stock coils set at 1.75".

7. Apr 15, 2011 at 6:47 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    I'm running the Stock UCAs on Old 885s and spacer and the alignment is with in spec. There might be some wandering at 70+ mph, but given how crappy the roads are, the wind, snow, etc... its hard to notice.

hey Fox lake rules! I used to live in the Condos by the Mineola..some fun bars and the Chain rocks. I still get down there time to time, high five to fellow lifted Taco Owner!

8. Apr 15, 2011 at 6:49 AM
    LouTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4R SR5 Premium
    i know uca are exspensive but to do it right the first time you should just save to get some because i hade Billies set to 2.5 with stock coils and ucas, and alignment was close but was never spot on. wandered a bit at highway speeds, plus ride was a bit stiff. but i switched to 0 setting and 885 coil w/ TPS and TC uca and let me tell you night and day, alignment is spot on and ride is cushy but still stiff enough to know your in a truck.

9. Apr 15, 2011 at 6:50 AM
    LouTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4R SR5 Premium
  10. Apr 15, 2011 at 11:34 AM
    Largefarva

Member:
    Fox Lake, IL
    Vehicle:
    Well I suppose I'll most likely just wait and get the OME lift with 885 coils and an AAL along with some LR UCA's. Speaking of the AAL...I don't have the TSB done...so I would most likely go with the 2" AAL. If I do this would it be safe to assume that my truck would be level? I don't mind a slight rake, but I definitely don't want the front to be higher than the rear.

I guess I can live with having the stock 31" tires for a couple more years even though my truck will be lifted 3". At least that's how long I'm assuming it will be before I have to replace them....I've had it 3 years and have barely over 14k miles on it. lol

11. Apr 15, 2011 at 11:36 AM
    Largefarva

Member:
    Fox Lake, IL
    Vehicle:
    /high five back at ya! Although my truck isn't lifted yet....but someday it will. At least if I can talk my wife into it lol

12. Apr 15, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    Valley Viking

Valley Viking Well-Known Member

Member:
    Menlo, WA
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 DC LB SR5
    OME 885 Coils, OME Dakar Rear Leafs, OME NitroCharger Shocks, LR UCA's, AFE ProDry Air Filter, Scanguage, Wet Okole Seat Covers
  13. Apr 15, 2011 at 11:56 AM
    Largefarva

Member:
    Fox Lake, IL
    Vehicle:
    Good info there...thanks for pointing that out. For sure the only spacers I will have is the drivers side trim spacer. You know what's funny though? I had never even noticed the drivers side lean until I started reading threads here. lol

14. Apr 16, 2011 at 6:00 AM
    Largefarva

Member:
    Fox Lake, IL
    Vehicle:
    After thinking about this overnight, I've come up with different idea. Well...started thinking about what LouTaco had suggested yesterday and going with the 5100's all the way around set at 1.75" and using my stock coils with the 1/4" driver side top spacer included. This way I can cut down on the cost a bit since I won't have to get the UCA's right now. It would also look better with my stock rims and tires.

Now...if I end up going this route, should I get the 1.5" TSB AAL (like I said earlier...I don't have the TSB done) to help minimize the rake and get it to a little bit more level or should I just go for the 2" AAL? The difference is only 1/2" so will it really be all that noticeable?

Reason why I'm starting to like this idea is because with the bilstein 5100's I have some adjustability. Later on I could go to 2.5" or 3" with eibach coils and getting the LR UCA's at that time. IE when I can replace the stock tires with some 32's. Only downside to this is paying a mechanic to essentially do a lift twice....but the second time would likely be at least a couple years down the road at a minimum.

So...does this option seem like one I should keep on the table? And once again...which AAL should I go with if I do go with this?

15. Apr 17, 2011 at 12:24 AM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    I'd recommend leaving your truck stock. Save up the money until you can do it right.
    Being able to get your truck back into spec?? That's a false sense of security.

The alignment spec range is so wide, it's actually a joke!

Too low and you'll have excessive wear. Too high and you'll have excessive wear.

But that's just my 2 cents.;)

16. Apr 17, 2011 at 4:44 AM
    Largefarva

Member:
    Fox Lake, IL
    Vehicle:
    I'm a bit confused. How does this relate to my last post? Unless you're just responding to my original post...then I can see what you're saying.

17. Apr 17, 2011 at 5:44 AM
    Largefarva

Member:
    Fox Lake, IL
    Vehicle:
    I ended up going to the dealership yesterday to ask how much they would charge to install the lift. I also inquired about the TSB, and now I have an appointment for them to inspect it next weekend.

After measuring my truck last night and seeing the back of my truck is already about an inch or so higher than the front, if they end up doing the TSB on it, I can actually not bother with doing an AAL with the lift at this time. Going by what others have said on these forums, the TSB itself adds about an inch in height.

So in that case I can just get the four bilstein 5100's and set the front to 1.75" and the end result will be an almost leveled truck with just a slight rake at first....and after the TSB leafs settle a bit it should be level if I'm not mistaken. That is...if they do the TSB in the first place.

Which this will serve me just fine for the time being until I need to replace the tires with the 32's I eventually want to get. Hell, who knows maybe I'll eventually talk myself into 33's by that time (only reason I'm not wanting 33's now is because I'm not crazy about having to do a bunch of trimming to avoid rubbing issues). Then I'll switch out the stock coils with eibachs, an AAL (or just get a whole new leaf pack), and get the UCR's at that time to get it to a full 3" lift.

One thing though....when I was at the dealership the guy I talked to said he doesn't advise going with this type of lift with the 5100's and using the stock springs. He said using the stock springs and adjusting their height is going to cause the strut itself to carry all the weight of the truck and the springs will essentially become useless....and will end up in a blowout of the the front shocks since they're going to be carrying all the load. I told him I didn't think that's how it works here, and after doing some more research I'm sure he just doesn't fully understand how the 5100's work. I myself don't see how the springs aren't carrying all the load themselves with the struts just there to provide dampening in changes of the road/terrain. If anyone cares to shed some light on this I'm all ears....maybe there's something I'm not quite grasping.

18. Apr 17, 2011 at 3:38 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    The springs are still carrying the load, the 5100's have more travel than the stock shocks. All the 5100's do is raise the lower perch further up on the shock body. I don't think he understands how they work.

19. Apr 17, 2011 at 4:32 PM
    Largefarva

Member:
    Fox Lake, IL
    Vehicle:
    That's what my understanding was as well. Thanks for the info. :)

20. Apr 18, 2011 at 4:49 PM
    tim3939wil

tim3939wil Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tim
    omaha,ne
    Vehicle:
    09 Red SR5
    A.R.E. cap w/vented windoors-ride rite's-5100's/OME884- satoshi grill- debadged- always on camera-blacked out/chrome free mods
    I believe stock coils are side specific that's why you don't notice (taco lean), you would need trim spacer with ome shock/coil or 1/4" top plate spacer with 5100's/eibachs

Products Discussed in

To Top