Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

icon aal problems

Old 04-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
the ghost
hedman is a glorious beacon of lighthedman is a glorious beacon of lighthedman is a glorious beacon of lighthedman is a glorious beacon of lighthedman is a glorious beacon of light

hedman's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation icon aal problems

I went to install ICON AAL 3 pack and after getting them in there they are hitting the front factory spring retaining c-clamp thing. I pulled them off and spun them around and they hit the back one. I am wondering if they sent me the wrong part any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedman View Post
I went to install ICON AAL 3 pack and after getting them in there they are hitting the front factory spring retaining c-clamp thing. I pulled them off and spun them around and they hit the back one. I am wondering if they sent me the wrong part any help would be appreciated.
They have their own retaining clamps. Gotta cut the old ones off. I've got the same thing going on with mine. I'd suggest going at them with an angle grinder.

Also, I'm pretty sure the long side is supposed to be toward the rear.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
the ghost
hedman is a glorious beacon of lighthedman is a glorious beacon of lighthedman is a glorious beacon of lighthedman is a glorious beacon of lighthedman is a glorious beacon of light

hedman's Tacoma Gallery
so why wouldnt they tell you that on the web site
Old 04-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That'd be way to easy... I was disappointed in the directions that came with the kit. I ended up searching through pictures of other's installs on here, that's how I determined that everyone had cut off their old clamps.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
the ghost

hedman's Tacoma Gallery
Ok thanks for the help I am going to get the grinder out and ya i realized that they go on long side to the back
Old 04-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #6

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok thanks for the help I am going to get the grinder out and ya i realized that they go on long side to the back
Good luck, I ran into the same thing this morning! I tried my luck with a dremel and a hack saw but those rivits are pretty thick. An angle grinder will make short work of it but make sure you pop out the graphite inserts first. I cut one side of the clamps first, slide that leaf out by itself (mark it so you know which side goes toward the rear) then you can pop out the graphite insert and go to town on the rivit.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
bskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bskin's Tacoma Gallery
I have this same aal pack but I want to keep the overload leaf, is this pretty doable from what you encountered during install?? Thanks.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #8

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bskin View Post
I have this same aal pack but I want to keep the overload leaf, is this pretty doable from what you encountered during install?? Thanks.
I assembled my leaf pack last weekend (don't have them on the truck yet, doing that this coming weekend) and I kept the overload in place. I have a new(er) TSB pack that I paired with the Icon AAL that will be replacing my stock leaf pack since it's flattened out. They go together fine, the centering pin in long enough. I'll post up some measurements and ride opinions once I get them on the truck but it is possible and some people are running this set-up with the wheeler's 3-leaf progressive AAL.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Downsouth Motorsports's Tacoma Gallery
Hello everyone,

I just got off the phone with ICON about this, and although the instructions DO NOT mention it, you're supposed to remove the factory spring clamps as Pugga mentioned.

They said they will revise the instructions and add this step. I also mentioned that they should include some pictures in the instructions...
Old 04-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #10

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsouth Motorsports View Post
Hello everyone,

I just got off the phone with ICON about this, and although the instructions DO NOT mention it, you're supposed to remove the factory spring clamps as Pugga mentioned.

They said they will revise the instructions and add this step. I also mentioned that they should include some pictures in the instructions...
I don't know if I should have done this but I used an angle grinder to smooth the factory leaf where the rivit went through. This left the factory leaf down to bare metal so I hit it with some rustoleum primer then paint before I reassembled everything with the new AAL. I'm assuming this was the correct way to do it but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I don't know if I should have done this but I used an angle grinder to smooth the factory leaf where the rivit went through. This left the factory leaf down to bare metal so I hit it with some rustoleum primer then paint before I reassembled everything with the new AAL. I'm assuming this was the correct way to do it but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
That way is fine.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
That way is fine.
Thanks! Can't wait to get these on the truck and get rid of the flattened out old leaf pack.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #13
HB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to all
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 04-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #14
Bamfs01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamfs01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamfs01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamfs01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamfs01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamfs01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamfs01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamfs01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamfs01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamfs01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamfs01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bamfs01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I assembled my leaf pack last weekend (don't have them on the truck yet, doing that this coming weekend) and I kept the overload in place. I have a new(er) TSB pack that I paired with the Icon AAL that will be replacing my stock leaf pack since it's flattened out. They go together fine, the centering pin in long enough. I'll post up some measurements and ride opinions once I get them on the truck but it is possible and some people are running this set-up with the wheeler's 3-leaf progressive AAL.
I have a 2011 Access Cab TRD Offroad with the TSB leaf pack.

I installed the Wheeler's 3-leaf progressive AAL leaving the factory rebound in the pack last night. It all went together very easily and took 3 hours. I'm sure if I did it again I could almost cut that install time in 1/2. It was simple.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #15
HB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to all
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamfs01 View Post

I installed the Wheeler's 3-leaf progressive AAL leaving the factory rebound in the pack last night. It all went together very easily and took 3 hours. I'm sure if I did it again I could almost cut that install time in 1/2. It was simple.
4x4? How much lift did you end up with that combo? Factory Rebound = Overload spring? I assume you needed extended brake lines? What shocks are you running? sorry for all the ques but I'm soaking all this up. Thx
Old 04-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamfs01 View Post

I'm curious to how the ride is as well. I'm hoping you didn't need new brake lines because I didn't figure that into the equation... Any before/after measurements (more interested in the after measurement between the center of the hub and the fender if you have it).
Old 07-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #17
hellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
hellrazor004's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 07-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #18
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They have their own retaining clamps. Gotta cut the old ones off. I've got the same thing going on with mine. I'd suggest going at them with an angle grinder.

Also, I'm pretty sure the long side is supposed to be toward the rear.
You are right on all counts Pugga

Quote:
Because alot of distributors sell them but don't know the issues with their own shit. & it is common & it is irritating...
Old 07-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #19
hellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
hellrazor004's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have pictures of this install? I plan on working on mine this coming weekend and it looks to be a PITA.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:19 AM   #20
tALOHAma is on a distinguished road
tALOHAma's Tacoma Gallery
I just picked up the wheelers pack. Hoping I can revive this thread and have someone post some pics of the install.