Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Lift for 09 Taco-mostly street, ride quality

Old 04-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
idgara007 is on a distinguished road
Navy: aviator
idgara007's Tacoma Gallery
Lift for 09 Taco-mostly street, ride quality

I love my 09 trd sport double cab, but want to lift it up. I like how it handles, the smoothness of the ride, its stock off-road capabilities (i dont go off roading too much but when i take it out camping and to the trails it handles fine as is) but now I just want to lift it mostly for looks. I do want to keep the ride quality as best as possible and do not want to sacrifice that. Price is not much of a factor because I would rather save and purchase a better kit that has better performance than something cheaper. I have searched and found some recommendations but Im somewhat torn between what to get. Im not even sure what size lift. I like the look of the 6" lifts (and the lift is mainly for looks anyways) but I dont like the fact I have to modify the frame and cut a chunk out. Id rather have the option to replace all the stuff with stock for whatever reason if that may come up. Most 3" suspension lifts only change out parts such as the coils, aal, etc. Some lifts I found when searching were the toytec ultimate lift kit (3"), and fabtech and procomp for the 6". I do understand the 6" will be considerably more expensive (even more for a SAS or LA kit, but since im not a heavy off roader, they shouldnt be necessary) but if the frame modifications arent too bad, then i could definitely get a 6" Sorry for the long post, but I know lifts have been covered to death, and wanted to be as specific as possible to get some input. Thank you very much
Old 04-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Real quick, a 6" lift is cheaper than LT and SAS.

For a good and easy complete 3", Old Man Emu (OME) seems to be the concensus for ride quality with good performance.

As for the 6" not sure... Fabtech's had some good reviews. Someone else can better fill you in here.

First, look all over the forum and find trucks you like, see if the owner has made a 'Build Thread' which will tell you all about what lift, tires, etc. they are using. Then start narrowing it down to 2-3 optiions, then folks on here will be able to help you better on your final decision.

And welcome to TW.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Cornelius Fire Department and Metro West Ambulance
Name: Robert
06TRDZombieHunter's Tacoma Gallery
Any lift over 3" and you'll definitely feel the ride quality decline. I popped in a cheap leveling kit by RevTek and could feel the ride change a bit.. (diff tires too though) You'd be surprised at the clearance with a level and some taller tires.. 32" fit just fine without any trimming, just dont buy them too wide or they'll rub on your UCAs with stock rims.

But if lift is all you're looking for, tires are a larger budget item.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed my OME lift on Wed , I think it's great .
Old 04-20-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JdMeF9SiR2's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to JdMeF9SiR2
http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/s...-%252d-Stage-2
Old 04-21-2011, 12:58 AM   #7
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
+1 OME... AAL in the rear now. OME leaf pack whenever what I got back there now craps out...
Old 04-21-2011, 01:00 AM   #8
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdMeF9SiR2 View Post
Fuckin A...if you have the money go for it!

Otherwise OME for on and offroad ride quality...or Eibach Springs with Bilstein 5100 Shocks
Old 04-21-2011, 03:58 AM   #9
K1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kanon
K1992f's Tacoma Gallery
RCD 4.5" lift .. You say ur worried about how it rides then figure on cutting ur cross member .. The rcd ride like stock ...
Old 04-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #10
never summer
singlefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

singlefin's Tacoma Gallery
5100's til the bug hits you and you decide to get coilovers of some sort. The 5100's will re sale real quick. I'd avoid a DB lift unless you just want the look.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #11
Thanks for all the help guys, I have decided to go with a 3" lift instead of the larger ones. Im 99% sure Ill get the toytec ultimate lift kit, unless anyone has any reasons not to or thinks another choice is better. I will get some UCAs since it is a high lift and everyone recommends the total chaos, but some have said the icons are better. Any input is greatly appreciated about this.

I also want to get larger tires (and new wheels) and Im looking at getting 285 goodyear duratracs. Im not sure on wheels not but basically whatever will fit with minimal cutting/spacers/etc. I probably wont be doing much offroading at all, mostly highway and streets so will I need to do any trimming or cutting? I dont have the mud flaps on also. I know everyone says to trim some areas but they always are going off road. If I will need trimming/cutting, how is this done? more specifically, what places do I have to trim?

Thanks again for the suggestions guys
Old 04-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #12
bump?
Old 04-29-2011, 10:52 PM   #13
CeRaTi
Rakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: OsKaR
Rakso's Tacoma Gallery
I think you'll have to trim/cut even if you don't go off road.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:56 PM   #14
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
You will have to do the regular trimming to fit 285's
Old 05-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
You will have to do the regular trimming to fit 285's
are there any threads/pics of the "normal trimming"? (noob here obviously)
or is it just throw em on and turn thru a full range of motion and see where it rubs, then trim away as needed?

Also, are there any other parts or pieces necessary for lifting my truck? other than new wheels and tires when I finally get some. But do I need to regear, put longer brake lines, or any other mods?

and does anyone have any positive or negative feedback about the toytec ULK or the total chaos UCAs? Im going to order both and install em together, unless anyone has any better suggestions. Ive seen many people have both kits and they seem to be generally all positive.

Thanks for the help guys, its greatly appreciated!