Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

U-Bolt Size?

Old 04-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
BAP_29 is a jewel in the roughBAP_29 is a jewel in the roughBAP_29 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Ben
BAP_29's Tacoma Gallery
U-Bolt Size?

I'm adding a ToyTec 1.5" AAL to the rear and need to replace my U-bolts. I've searched the threads but I can't seem to find a solid answer. Anybody know what I need to look for when I go to the hardware store tomorrow?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 04-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
crap....I cant find my notes.....Call Downsouth Motorsports. They'll have the right ones for ya.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
BAP_29 is a jewel in the roughBAP_29 is a jewel in the roughBAP_29 is a jewel in the rough

BAP_29's Tacoma Gallery
Well Id really like to just pick these up tomorrow if I can instead of having to order them if possible. I guess I might just have to crawl under the truck and try to measure them.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
How much longer than the stock ones do they need to be , my stock ones are in my shop , I could measure them for ya if that would help .
Old 04-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
How much longer than the stock ones do they need to be , my stock ones are in my shop , I could measure them for ya if that would help .
generally, replacement U bolts are very long, and are a "Cut to fit" type. However, 1/2" longer than stock is good for an AAL. The most important measurement is the width. IIRC, they are 2 7/8" wide.......
Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
generally, replacement U bolts are very long, and are a "Cut to fit" type. However, 1/2" longer than stock is good for an AAL. The most important measurement is the width. IIRC, they are 2 7/8" wide.......
I'll go measure the stock ones .
Old 04-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #8

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Balls ,

I must have left the stock U bolts at my friends garage , they are not with my other stock crap .

What an asshole ,

Sorry OP
Old 04-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #10
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't replace my u bolts with my 2" aal. Don't know about your aal though, is it progressive?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:03 PM   #11

BAP_29's Tacoma Gallery
The reason Im replacing is because I tried getting the bolts off 2 weekends ago and they wouldnt budge at all. So Im just going to cut them off and replace them. Most people say to replace them anyways for safety reasons I think.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #12

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Here's the stockers, I just went out and measured 7"x2 1/2"

We have a winner !
Old 04-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Off topic , but I used your centre pin collar idea when I installed my Dakars on Wed .

Thank you Anthony
Old 04-20-2011, 10:46 PM   #14
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by malander View Post
I didn't replace my u bolts with my 2" aal. Don't know about your aal though, is it progressive?
no problems? did you have to replace your center pin?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #16

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Good to hear! How'd the installation go, hopefully my centering pin idea helped ya out! It was nice to hear that pin drop into the axle perch with a good amount of space.

I know when I did my Dakars it ended up taking me a week since I couldn't get the axle low enough with stock brake lines, had to wait on jackstands for Allpoo to send me longer ones!
My installation was slick , we did it in my mechanic friend's garage , the truck was on a hoist , and we used a transmission jack to support the rear axle while we worked on the rear one side at a time .

Best news for me is , No Vibes so far .

I didn't even install the axle shims , but with the pin collar in there , I can easily if I need to later .

Thanks again .