1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question on Jacking front end.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by sac130e, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Apr 22, 2011 at 7:43 AM
    sac130e

sac130e [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Milton, FL.
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Off-Road 2wd
    JVC Nav. System and entire Memphis Audio Speakers/Amps
    About to do the front end shock/uca replacement and wondering about the best jacks to use and placement. I will have to go buy this stuff, but wondering where to get quality jack/stands.

When you jack front, where does everyone place jack to lift front, or are you lifting one side at a time and placing on jack stands. I have no issues working on the truck, only concern is working under a supported truck.

Want to ensure everything is stron and in correct position before I get under it.

Thx

2. Apr 22, 2011 at 7:55 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    Just jack the truck from the front cross member and place the jack stands at far forward on the frame as possible. Once you put the jack stands in place lower the floor jack to put the load on the jack stands you can leave a little pressure on the floor jack as well so that you have three support points. As for jacks and stands just a large floor jack and jack stands I would go with at least 3 ton models.

Here is some shots of the jack stand placement.
    IMG00484-20110417-1656_1308d237bbd7dda4442118cfd9d3d8f1feae9c42.jpg

IMG00493-20110417-1728_d4f9f15d207a544b9c9cd41039ac2a3384bb1056.jpg

3. Apr 22, 2011 at 9:42 AM
    sac130e

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Milton, FL.
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Off-Road 2wd
    Thx, since it could be up there for 1-2 days (I like to take my time)
    Want to be sure no risk of falling. Who sells good jacks/stands (Lowes,
    Home depot..)

Thx

4. Apr 22, 2011 at 9:48 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    Sears I don't know about Lowes but the Husky ones at Home Depot are not the greatest Cosco has nice ones you might want to check there.

5. Apr 22, 2011 at 9:52 AM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    I put the stands the same place as J-Lee. As for stands I have 6ton harbor freight ones. They work great, very tall and I've never heard one bad thing about them. For a floor jack my dad has always had craftsman they always seem to leak, they work well though. Just make sure what you get is tall enough. I'm sitting at a little less then 2" of suspension lift and my tires give another 2" of clearance and the bottom of my frame is just over 17" to the ground.

6. Apr 22, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I agree with the placement of those jack stands. If you are in Milton, FL the other option is (if you have someone who can pick you up) is to use the Auto Hobby Shop at Corry Station.
    I did my entire lift install there (I work quick-so it was just one day) but you can leave projects there usually. Unless this install is a reason/justification for you to buy the stuff.....Then ignore my suggestion.

7. Apr 22, 2011 at 8:06 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I say 4 ton stands at least. The HF 6 ton ones are nice too, I'd go with them probably.

8. Apr 22, 2011 at 8:15 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
  9. Apr 23, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    sac130e

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Milton, FL.
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Off-Road 2wd
    Wonder if I can rent the jack from local auto zone. Only plan to use this once,
    So no need to buy it to just let it sit and collect dust. Maybe pick it up at
    Wally world..use it and return it.

Thx

10. Apr 23, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    AUTO HOBBY SHOP @ CORRY STATION if you aren't trying to get equipment to keep.
    It'll cost you 30-50 dollars and you'll have everything you need.

11. Apr 23, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    sac130e

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Milton, FL.
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Off-Road 2wd

What/where is Corry Station? Don't want to drone to far for this stuff..thx

12. Apr 23, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    640 Roberts Ave., Pensacola, FL 32511
    It's just a little northwest of NAS Pensacola. Corry is one of the annexes for the Navy Base and is where the Auto Hobby shop for the area resides.

I didn't look at your military icon until just now where it says retired..but if you can get on base you can use the shop. Prevents you from having to buy stuff you don't plan on keeping.

Products Discussed in

To Top