Notices

Question on Jacking front end.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
sac130e is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Retired
Name: Scott
sac130e's Tacoma Gallery
Question on Jacking front end.

About to do the front end shock/uca replacement and wondering about the best jacks to use and placement. I will have to go buy this stuff, but wondering where to get quality jack/stands.

When you jack front, where does everyone place jack to lift front, or are you lifting one side at a time and placing on jack stands. I have no issues working on the truck, only concern is working under a supported truck.

Want to ensure everything is stron and in correct position before I get under it.

Thx
Old 04-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Just jack the truck from the front cross member and place the jack stands at far forward on the frame as possible. Once you put the jack stands in place lower the floor jack to put the load on the jack stands you can leave a little pressure on the floor jack as well so that you have three support points. As for jacks and stands just a large floor jack and jack stands I would go with at least 3 ton models.

Here is some shots of the jack stand placement.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #3

sac130e's Tacoma Gallery
Thx, since it could be up there for 1-2 days (I like to take my time)
Want to be sure no risk of falling. Who sells good jacks/stands (Lowes,
Home depot..)

Thx
Old 04-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Sears I don't know about Lowes but the Husky ones at Home Depot are not the greatest Cosco has nice ones you might want to check there.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
I put the stands the same place as J-Lee. As for stands I have 6ton harbor freight ones. They work great, very tall and I've never heard one bad thing about them. For a floor jack my dad has always had craftsman they always seem to leak, they work well though. Just make sure what you get is tall enough. I'm sitting at a little less then 2" of suspension lift and my tires give another 2" of clearance and the bottom of my frame is just over 17" to the ground.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
I agree with the placement of those jack stands. If you are in Milton, FL the other option is (if you have someone who can pick you up) is to use the Auto Hobby Shop at Corry Station.
I did my entire lift install there (I work quick-so it was just one day) but you can leave projects there usually. Unless this install is a reason/justification for you to buy the stuff.....Then ignore my suggestion.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #7
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I say 4 ton stands at least. The HF 6 ton ones are nice too, I'd go with them probably.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #9

sac130e's Tacoma Gallery
Wonder if I can rent the jack from local auto zone. Only plan to use this once,
So no need to buy it to just let it sit and collect dust. Maybe pick it up at
Wally world..use it and return it.

Thx
Old 04-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac130e View Post
Wonder if I can rent the jack from local auto zone. Only plan to use this once,
So no need to buy it to just let it sit and collect dust. Maybe pick it up at
Wally world..use it and return it.

Thx
AUTO HOBBY SHOP @ CORRY STATION if you aren't trying to get equipment to keep.
It'll cost you 30-50 dollars and you'll have everything you need.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #11

sac130e's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
AUTO HOBBY SHOP @ CORRY STATION if you aren't trying to get equipment to keep.
It'll cost you 30-50 dollars and you'll have everything you need.

What/where is Corry Station? Don't want to drone to far for this stuff..thx
Old 04-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #12
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
640 Roberts Ave., Pensacola, FL 32511
It's just a little northwest of NAS Pensacola. Corry is one of the annexes for the Navy Base and is where the Auto Hobby shop for the area resides.

I didn't look at your military icon until just now where it says retired..but if you can get on base you can use the shop. Prevents you from having to buy stuff you don't plan on keeping.