Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

changing struts......

Old 04-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #21
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Happy Easter Christopher, time to kill a bunny ??
LOL! No bunny killin today Happy Easter to you Bud!
Old 04-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #22
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Name: Terry
brelandt's Tacoma Gallery
well I had time to change my passengerside strut before the family came over.
It could not have gone any better. First that cheap-o spring compressor works great. I put a few drops of bicycle chain oil and I had no issues at all. Didn't make a noise or even felt like it was going to be too hard to turn the nut.
Only thing is I had to remove the unit because no matter how hard I aligned the top plate with the bottom bushing it still came out askewed. I just compressed the coil again and loosen the center nut. Then when I reinstalled the unit I was able to spin the strut until it aligned and then I just tighten the center nut afterwards.
I'll get to the driverside tomorrow. As for picks...well, I can not find my memory card....ugh!
Old 04-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #23
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
OK got the second strut on this morning. Looked like it was going to rain on me so I didn't mess around. again the samething happened to me with getting the top plate lined up with the bottom mount. This time however, I was not able to wiggle it around by loosening the center nut. Had to compress the spring set it try it then compress it reset it try it again. after the 5th time I had it perfect.
Took it for a long ride to my storage unit and with the truck loaded down with my BMW motorcycle and empty for the trip back the truck rode great!!!!
Old 04-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #24
Air Force:
OK, found a camera and took a couple of pics. First time posting a pic on this website so here goes nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
changing struts......-schwinn-006.jpg   changing struts......-schwinn-007.jpg   changing struts......-schwinn-008.jpg  
Old 04-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #26
Air Force:
Thanks Doug.....My next project of course is the leaf spring. The bed cap is up for sale and hopefully I'll get what I'm asking for and then I can ditch my Over leaf.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #27
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
I would put a shim under the edge of that inverted spring. It will chew into the leaf above it.
Looks great otherwise!
Old 04-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #28
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
I would put a shim under the edge of that inverted spring. It will chew into the leaf above it.
Looks great otherwise!
exactly! But I'm just going to replace the AAL with Doug's set-up. It's a very good set up, He is after all the grandfather of the Ranger Taco leaf mod! LOL