Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

changing struts......

Old 04-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Name: Terry
brelandt's Tacoma Gallery
changing struts......

I am expecting my new KYB monomax struts to match my rear set I bought last week. I just bought a strut spring compressor but here is where I may need some help.
I know how to remove the strut and coil assembly from the truck but I have never removed the strut from the coil.
Is there something I need to know about removing the center nut and top plate and reinstalling it?
Is it better to break the torque on the center nut while it's still on the truck?
Just need to know this before I have the unit sitting on the workbench. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brelandt View Post
I am expecting my new KYB monomax struts to match my rear set I bought last week. I just bought a strut spring compressor but here is where I may need some help.
I know how to remove the strut and coil assembly from the truck but I have never removed the strut from the coil.
Is there something I need to know about removing the center nut and top plate and reinstalling it?
Is it better to break the torque on the center nut while it's still on the truck?
Just need to know this before I have the unit sitting on the workbench. Thanks!
YES !! A couple things buddy, FIRST & FOREMOST Do NOT REMOVE CENTER NUT UNTIL YOU SAFELY & CORRECTLY COMPRESS COIL SPRING !!

Please take this serious, if you loosen & remove nut without doing the above action, you stand a more than likely SERIOUS , EVEN FATAL INJURY !! This is no joke bro'....
Old 04-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
is there a trick to getting the nut off? I am just seeing myself trying to break the nut off with the whole unit rolling around on the ground or falling out of the bench vise, LOL!
Is there a area under the top plate I will need to place a wrench once the coil is compressed in order to loosen and tighten the center nut? Or is it just loosen the nut?
Old 04-22-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
I havent done it for about 4-5 years, but IIRC first COMPRESS the coil, leave it compressed then just loosen the nut and it should come out.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
You pretty much just loosen it. Its not like a gorilla torqued that thing on there, it comes off pretty easy.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #6
Air Force:
sweet, I was hoping that was the case.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
eagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
Name: Scott
eagle5521's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
is there a trick to getting the nut off? I am just seeing myself trying to break the nut off with the whole unit rolling around on the ground or falling out of the bench vise, LOL!
Is there a area under the top plate I will need to place a wrench once the coil is compressed in order to loosen and tighten the center nut? Or is it just loosen the nut?

I guess you can call it a trick. you will need two wenches: one for the nut one to hold the the very top end still. It will turn with the nut once you start to remove it. Some struts will have a place for an allen wrench on the end, but the stock struts don't.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:25 AM   #8
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
You can loosen the center nut while the strut is still in place, just don't take it completely off, that nut holds the spring preload & is under extreme pressure, example: our springs are roughly , what, about 550-650lbs, meaning it takes (550-650 lbs)of pressure to compress the spring 1", the preload is about 2", so you remove that nut without first compressing it you have about a 20lb chunk of coiled steel coming at your face with more than 1/2 a ton of pressure behind it, released in the blink of an eye... at a range of maybe 2ft..

you can figure out the rest, ( coil spring replaces head)

so please be careful man, & another thing, I've changed out about 5 coil over struts & everyone of those compressors will look like there going to come apart on you, they bend,they twist, they warp out of shape, believe it or not this is normal. It's not a hard job, but it is a spooky one that is unforgivable if you fuck up, so,, ya know,,, don't fuck up, & good luck !!
Old 04-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
Air Force:
I promise you Doug I plan on keeping my head!!! LOL
I bought the $35 compressor from Kragen/O'reilly's auto. It looks like crap so I am expecting it to bend and sound strange......However, no need to buy a $50 one from Sears since I may only use this thing once a year or so?
Never made it to the pick a part this week. maybe next week, but my plans are changing with what I want to do with my truck.
Thinking of the same leaf set up as your and getting rid of my bed cap that does even fit my bed! then maybe a shaved front bumper and prerunner style lightbar? Some guy down the street has a full caged f-150 prerunner that just looks bad ass!
Old 04-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I bought the $35 compressor from Kragen/O'reilly's auto. It looks like crap so I am expecting it to bend and sound strange......However, no need to buy a $50 one from Sears since I may only use this thing once a year or so?
Never made it to the pick a part this week. maybe next week, but my plans are changing with what I want to do with my truck.
Thinking of the same leaf set up as your and getting rid of my bed cap that does even fit my bed! then maybe a shaved front bumper and prerunner style lightbar? Some guy down the street has a full caged f-150 prerunner that just looks bad ass!
Ok just remembered that you can use an open end wrench (don't remember the size) to hold the stud while you loosen the nut.

also ditch that compressor and rent one for free at autozone, I think you put like a $50 deposit that you get back when you return it. Here's a pic of the autozone compressors.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:

Nice !!..... & I'll add if there is anyway possible get an air impact or electric impact for the compressor, it'll turn a 3 hour pain in the ass (compressing by hand) into a 10 - 15 min. cake walk..... Oh yeah I started building some springs last night for a member (Matt -RecklessTaco) so he'll be ready to do a Mojave desert trip coming up in SoCal in about a week or 2 I think, be sure to post up pics Terry....
Old 04-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #12
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure the compressors are lined up with eachother or they will slip and come loose. Alternately tighten them evenly and be sure to lube the screws, or they will gall. Do not place anything of value in line with the spring's line of travel.

The safer, quicker alternative would be to take the CO Assy out and take it to a shop to have them changed out. They have a nice, wall mounted, safe coil compressor.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #13
sac130e is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Retired
Name: Scott
sac130e's Tacoma Gallery
Does the 1/4" spacer for the taco lean og on top of the top plate or under it?
About do try this next week for my lift

Scott
Old 04-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
Largefarva is on a distinguished road
Navy: Nuke Electrician
Largefarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac130e View Post
Does the 1/4" spacer for the taco lean og on top of the top plate or under it?
About do try this next week for my lift

Scott
It goes on top of it. Here's the thread I created the other day asking the same exact question.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...tion-time.html
Old 04-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #15
Air Force:
sweet info guys..just got to my parents house and the struts arrived. Now that I have them in my hands I see there is a square notch on the top to place a wrench.
When I drove over the speed bumps going into my neighborhood I noticed the front bounced twice and the rears never bounced at all! Can't wait to see the difference with these KYB!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #16
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
sweet info guys..just got to my parents house and the struts arrived. Now that I have them in my hands I see there is a square notch on the top to place a wrench.
When I drove over the speed bumps going into my neighborhood I noticed the front bounced twice and the rears never bounced at all! Can't wait to see the difference with these KYB!

Thats great Terry, I've always liked KYB shocks, they were the first gas shocks I'd ever seen, very solid, very established company....
Old 04-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #17
Air Force:
doug when I got the box I was shocked (no pun intended) at how light the box was. I was like all crap they sent the wrong thing! But after I opened it sure enough there was 2 struts in there. I think my rear shocks are heavier?!?!?
I couldn't sleep all night! can't wait to put these bad boys on!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #18
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
doug when I got the box I was shocked (no pun intended) at how light the box was. I was like all crap they sent the wrong thing! But after I opened it sure enough there was 2 struts in there. I think my rear shocks are heavier?!?!?

Just like Christmas huh..., post up some pics when yer done dude !!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #19
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The rear struts are longer, so there is a good chance they are heavier...
Old 04-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #20
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The rear struts are longer, so there is a good chance they are heavier...
Happy Easter Christopher, time to kill a bunny ??