Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

02 Prerunner ride is so harsh

Old 04-23-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
Freqman is on a distinguished road
Freqman's Tacoma Gallery
02 Prerunner ride is so harsh

First post here. I just purchased an 02 Doublecab Prerunner with about 40k miles and I like most things about it. My issue is the ride quality. What can be done about the harsh ride? I have read enough to know that it is a common issue but what the heck, I live where there are about 20 potholes a mile and it is "jaring" me to death.
So if adding a leaf will stiffen suspension how bout taking one out? Will the 5100's do anything for this? I need to do rotors and brakes so I could do shocks also (hopefully I never messed with suspension much).
I noticed ride quality is alot better with a few people in the truck.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
how do your leaf springs look? if they are starting to bend in the opposite direction that would explain the poor ride quality.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Also what kind of car did you have before the taco, and how long ago did you get the taco?

I ask because its a truck, so its going to ride a bit rough if you're coming from a car that is made for the street.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Freqman's Tacoma Gallery
I had a full size Chevy. It was like butter compared to this ride. I took a quick look at the springs and they are definitely flat and maybe even a little down turned. Shouldnt they be U shaped?
http://img152.imageshack.us/i/image1gxy.jpg/
http://img535.imageshack.us/i/imagefzs.jpg/
Old 04-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
yah they are suppose to be more of a smile then a frown. a 1st gen tacoma is definitly going to be a harsher ride then a fullsize chevy anyway though.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
Freqman's Tacoma Gallery
So.. If I'm sitting on a flat surface and could put a yardstick along springs and they have no uptilt to them I need a new set?
Old 04-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
Master of War

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
essentially yes, installing an AAL(add-a-leaf) might bring them back to life but in return youd get an even worse ride and a lift. your only real option is to opt for some new springs.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
Freqman's Tacoma Gallery
Recommendations on a set? I don't plan on doing any off roading or hauling. And rear shocks are an easy job right? I could do those while i'm back there. I just need to soften up the ride.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
jeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BM3 1st Div.
Name: Jeff
jeff b's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freqman View Post
I had a full size Chevy. It was like butter compared to this ride. I took a quick look at the springs and they are definitely flat and maybe even a little down turned. Shouldnt they be U shaped?
http://img152.imageshack.us/i/image1gxy.jpg/
http://img535.imageshack.us/i/imagefzs.jpg/
Your drivin a truck now bro! Full size chevy is more like a car. How many miles are on it and has it been maintained properly?
Old 04-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
Freqman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff b View Post
Your drivin a truck now bro! Full size chevy is more like a car. How many miles are on it and has it been maintained properly?
45k and I don't know about the history. The roads where I live are so bad 45k of it has to be like 100k in the states.

Well if my springs are flat and maybe down tilted a bit but new spring are u shaped I think thats my problem.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #11
jeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BM3 1st Div.
Name: Jeff
jeff b's Tacoma Gallery
I have all the stock suspension off my truck you could have but shipping would kill you. I would go through it and replace it all with the best you can afford. Good luck..
Old 04-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #12
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Look into alcan springs. They can be had either directly from alcan custom made, or through wheelers off road, a vendor on here. You'll get a discount through wheelers for being on the forum.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:15 AM   #13
Master of War

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freqman View Post
Recommendations on a set? I don't plan on doing any off roading or hauling. And rear shocks are an easy job right? I could do those while i'm back there. I just need to soften up the ride.
like steve said id go with a set from wheelers they are made by Alcan which is real good quality. shocks are a 10 minute change you can also pick up a set of 5100s from wheelers if you choose to go that route.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #14
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Name: Terry
brelandt's Tacoma Gallery
I added a AAL from Fabtech I think it rides better not harsher. ALSO A NEW SET OF SHOCKS MADE FOR OFFROAD WILL BE BETTER.