Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

ToyTec Coil overs

Old 09-27-2008, 10:01 PM   #1
das56170 is on a distinguished road
Marines: 1st Lieutenant
das56170's Tacoma Gallery
ToyTec Coil overs

what are your opinions and experiences with the toytec coilovers. They're cheaper than icon coilovers. What kind of quality and durability can I expect from them?

http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=53
Old 09-27-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
x2
Old 09-27-2008, 11:59 PM   #3
20taco07 has a spectacular aura about20taco07 has a spectacular aura about20taco07 has a spectacular aura about

20taco07's Tacoma Gallery
never really hear about them, im sure they are not to good if nobody is buying them, they are sure better than getting spacers. but i am interested to know as well x3
Old 09-28-2008, 06:43 AM   #4
das56170 is on a distinguished road
Marines: 1st Lieutenant
das56170's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I'm looking to upgrage my spacer lift. I love the way my truck sits now so I don't want my upgrades to change the stance just improve handling and performance.
Here's what i'm thinking:

Either Icon or toytec coil overs. $1050 vs. $799
Either Total chaos or Light racing UCAs. $669 vs $449
Alcan rear leaf spring pack $599
Bilstein 5100 rear shocks $158

(i've been looking at a lot of different leaf packs. Many of the sites say that they're not good for carrying weight in the bed of the truck. I don't haul stuff around that often, but I don't want to kill my load carrying capacity either. Wheelers offroad says that there's only a "slight" reduction of load carring capacity when using the Alcan rear leaf spring pack. I also considered getting the Timbren suspension enhancment system to help. Maybe I'll just stick to the AAL that I already have.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-28-2008, 07:10 AM   #6
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
i haven't heard much negative feedback on the icons. but i'd like to hear more feedback on the toytecs. a couple guys on here love em. its a fairly new product so not many people have them. i'm just wondering if the icon co's and uca's are 500 bucks better than the toytec co's w/ total chaos uca's. as far as the timbrens are concerned, get if you do a lot of off-roading. haven't heard much about those either
Old 09-28-2008, 07:16 AM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by das56170 View Post

(i've been looking at a lot of different leaf packs. Many of the sites say that they're not good for carrying weight in the bed of the truck.
They really diminish the bed load capacity?? That sucks- I kinda don't want to lose load capacity but I DO want to put 3 inches all the way around.

Back to the drawing board....
Old 09-28-2008, 07:28 AM   #8
allrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud of
allrsdup's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by das56170 View Post
Yeah, I'm looking to upgrage my spacer lift. I love the way my truck sits now so I don't want my upgrades to change the stance just improve handling and performance.
Here's what i'm thinking:

Either Icon or toytec coil overs. $1050 vs. $799
Either Total chaos or Light racing UCAs. $669 vs $449
Alcan rear leaf spring pack $599
Bilstein 5100 rear shocks $158

(i've been looking at a lot of different leaf packs. Many of the sites say that they're not good for carrying weight in the bed of the truck. I don't haul stuff around that often, but I don't want to kill my load carrying capacity either. Wheelers offroad says that there's only a "slight" reduction of load carring capacity when using the Alcan rear leaf spring pack. I also considered getting the Timbren suspension enhancment system to help. Maybe I'll just stick to the AAL that I already have.

What do you guys think?
not sure on the coiovers. stick with the ad a leaf. the tacos dont carry much from the factory. so if the leaf pack from alcan is less? that dont sound good.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:33 AM   #9
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
Ive got them, Not bad I havent had any problems with them.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:57 AM   #10
random hero is on a distinguished road

random hero's Tacoma Gallery
somthing to think about, you can pick up a set of 0-3" adj. Sway-a-way 2.0" coilovers for toyotas for under $650, they perform great and are made by a proven company in high performance off-road suspension industry, they're fully rebuildable and tunable, and realistically are night/day better that these toyotec's imo, the toytec is a set of $180 shocks paired w/a coil, not rebuilbable, smaller diameter shaft and shock body
Old 09-29-2008, 07:57 AM   #11
aww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to behold
aww1970's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by random hero View Post
somthing to think about, you can pick up a set of 0-3" adj. Sway-a-way 2.0" coilovers for toyotas for under $650, they perform great and are made by a proven company in high performance off-road suspension industry, they're fully rebuildable and tunable, and realistically are night/day better that these toyotec's imo, the toytec is a set of $180 shocks paired w/a coil, not rebuilbable, smaller diameter shaft and shock body
According to the S.A.W. website a set of theirs are $830... Am I looking at the right item?
Old 09-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aww1970 View Post
According to the S.A.W. website a set of theirs are $830... Am I looking at the right item?
Search on ebay, i bought mine from a shop on there for $640 shipped, had them in 3 days
Old 09-29-2008, 09:32 AM   #13
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aww1970 View Post
you can check with www.wheelersoffroad.com or search forums for a used set and get them rebuilt...

the thing that bothers me most about the toytec coilovers is how THIN the assembly is at the bottom...it looks like the slightest amount of pressure in the wrong direction could result in snapping that shaft off the lower mount...

ICONs are good, but theres other more affordable solutions out there that are almost or just as good

I'd personally go with something adjustable and rebuildable

with a bit more beef to it
Old 09-29-2008, 07:45 PM   #14
sooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nice
sooner02r1's Tacoma Gallery
The toytec coilovers are bilstein 5100s with an eibach spring on them and a height adjust collar. So you are getting a pair of $150 shocks with $150 springs on them for $799. Not such a smokin deal. They do not compare to the real coilovers of SAW, Fox, King.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #15
`

rick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner02r1 View Post
The toytec coilovers are bilstein 5100s with an eibach spring on them and a height adjust collar. So you are getting a pair of $150 shocks with $150 springs on them for $799. Not such a smokin deal. They do not compare to the real coilovers of SAW, Fox, King.
you left out Icons
Old 09-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #16

the 650 dollar SAW's are still overkill for 95% of the driving any of our trucks will ever see... i couldnt' be happier w/mine, i ended up doing both front/rear for the price of Icon coilover's alone... If your doing baja just spend the extra $$ and go w/walker evans
Old 09-29-2008, 08:57 PM   #17
Stop talking and START wheeling
RicnDenver is just really niceRicnDenver is just really niceRicnDenver is just really niceRicnDenver is just really niceRicnDenver is just really nice

Army: Co.C 6/31st Inf.
RicnDenver's Tacoma Gallery
Im running them, and I LOVE mine.. over a year now, ZERO complaints, ok one, was I got them sooner
Old 09-29-2008, 09:01 PM   #18
sooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nice
sooner02r1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by random hero View Post
the 650 dollar SAW's are still overkill for 95% of the driving any of our trucks will ever see... i couldnt' be happier w/mine, i ended up doing both front/rear for the price of Icon coilover's alone... If your doing baja just spend the extra $$ and go w/walker evans

Well if I was gonna do BAJA I'd set it up for CRAWLIN' and MUDDIN'!!!