1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about Putting Together new Spring/Shock?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by sac130e, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Apr 26, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    sac130e

sac130e [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Milton, FL.
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Off-Road 2wd
    JVC Nav. System and entire Memphis Audio Speakers/Amps
    was looking at how the spring compressor tool (from AutoZone) goes on the coil to compress it, and wasn't able to get the safety pin to go in place because the coil is to think. Then it hit me, do you start at the top of the coil (flat part) with the tool, get the pin in place and rotate it down the coil, hooking up the second part, and continue rotating down/around the coil till its in place and lock it down?

If so, how do you take it off once its assembled? I must be missing something on getting this tool to work with the safety pins.

Anybody please help me get this tool on correctly/safely before I kill myself.

Thx

2. Apr 26, 2011 at 5:04 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Those safety pins are a good thing, but personally, I never had the patience to get em on, which was probably bad on my part. My question for you is...... Are the springs off of the shocks already? If so, yeah do like you desribed, and to get em off use a punch and a hammer. If not, and you're hell bent on getting the safeties on then tap em on with a hammer, or a hammer and a punch. They should have designed those things a lil better, but oh well. Just be careful, and good luck.

3. Apr 26, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    ds46000

ds46000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Mine were the same way...and I'm fairly certain it's the same way for everyone elses truck. The coils are just a tad too thick for those pins to push past them to lock it in place. I didn't use the pin. I also noticed in some of the write-ups I looked at before doing the process, they didn't use the pin either...so even though it was a bit of a safety concern...i at least saw that other people had done it without killing themselves that way.

4. Apr 26, 2011 at 5:26 PM
    sac130e

sac130e [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Milton, FL.
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Off-Road 2wd
    JVC Nav. System and entire Memphis Audio Speakers/Amps
    I noticed that if I remove the pin from the hole, put the tool on the shock, tighten done and then stick pin in hole from inside of shock..out, I can get it in about half way and it seems somewhat secure. I probably could hammer it in further, but would be afraid of not getting it back out.

I will give it a shot removing the stock springs and see how it goes before putting the OME coil on the 5100's.

If ant one has pics or how to threads on using these, I am all ears.
    Thx

5. Apr 26, 2011 at 5:40 PM
    ds46000

ds46000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    tip: use lots of wd-40 or oil to lube the threads on the spring compressors...you wouldn't believe the difference it makes (whether you're using an impact wrench or not).

The only other thing i can think of to tell you is when you position the spring compressor onto the coil spring...make sure the end of the spring compressor that you tighten is pointing to the bottom end of the shock/strut assembly. It makes it a lot easier this way.

In other words, the end of the spring compressor that you attatch your wrench or impact wrench needs to be pointing to the bottom of the shock.

Products Discussed in

To Top