Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Bilstein Differences

Old 09-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
nedjinski is on a distinguished road
nedjinski's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein Differences

2004 4wd regular cab SWB -

for my truck Bilstein has shocks they just call HD - then they have the 5100 series, and other series,etc.

it makes sense that there are many different sizes and lengths for different lift configurations

but in terms of quality, performance, rebuildability, etc. - what are the differences in these shocks?
Old 09-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
well to answer my own post -

I had a conversation with a tech at bilstein and he sed that the HD for a stock ride height tacoma is the way to go - the 5100 series is made for some degree of lift and if a 5100 is used at stock ride height the valving / piston would end up being in a less desirable position in the shock body, etc.
otherwise the HD and the 5100 were identical in terms of build quality and performance..
Old 09-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedjinski View Post
otherwise the HD and the 5100 were identical in terms of build quality and performance..
The hell they are!!! Mine came stock w/the hd's. Then the 5100's went on. Even at 1.75 lift,the ride is way better!!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingontrd View Post
The hell they are!!! Mine came stock w/the hd's. Then the 5100's went on. Even at 1.75 lift,the ride is way better!!
i agree.....there is night and day difference in the ride quality with the 5100's compared to the stock hd billys.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:37 PM   #5
hey not looking to start a firestorm - just repeating what the Bilstein tech told me.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
oh - just so I know that we're all on the same page - the shocks the tech was referring to are part numbers -

F4-B46-2285-H0 & F4-B46-2286-H0

are these the shocks you guys are referring to?
Old 09-29-2008, 07:41 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
hey not looking to start a firestorm - just repeating what the Bilstein tech told me.
nah, its ok man. not sure why he said that though.....those shocks are valved differently. i had them on my truck before my new suspension, and they rode alot better than the stock hd's.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:20 PM   #8
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
Sorry man,Not directed at you.but The what was said by the tech.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #9
sooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nice
sooner02r1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well to answer my own post -

I had a conversation with a tech at bilstein and he sed that the HD for a stock ride height tacoma is the way to go - the 5100 series is made for some degree of lift and if a 5100 is used at stock ride height the valving / piston would end up being in a less desirable position in the shock body, etc.

I have heard similar from Bilstein techs myself. They built the 5100 specifically for a level kit for the TRD taco to match the stock rear shocks. They offer a slight amount of more travel that's why they feel a little better on really harsh stuff.