1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alignment Issues..Numbers Posted

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by sac130e, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Apr 29, 2011 at 8:56 AM
    sac130e

sac130e [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Milton, FL.
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Off-Road 2wd
    JVC Nav. System and entire Memphis Audio Speakers/Amps
    Got the front 5100's w/OME 884's installed over the weekend and had the local Goodyear place align it with the original tires/rims, then they installed the new wheels after (MM 955 w/BFG TA KO 275/70/17).

Today I noticed a wheel shake at around 50 and between 20-60 it drifts to the right. I took it back and they rebalanced the front tires and swapped them around. Haven't driven it to much yet to see if it fixed the issue, but numbers from alignment are posted below. The guy who aligned was very old and slow but said he really only neeed to adjust the toe.
    He never touched the adjustment on the new LR UCA's I installed.

Do these numbers look good/bad or can be improved.

Thx

IMG.jpg

2. Apr 29, 2011 at 9:04 AM
    ds46000

ds46000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    i would get them to bring your camber down to 0, which will also probably bring your caster back into spec.

3. Apr 29, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    I think your caster is the issue. First, it is quite a bit higher than spec. Also, typically, they put a little more caster in the passenger side to compensate for the the crown of the road and the tendency this gives the vehicle to head for the shoulder, which is what you say yours is doing. Also, your driver side caster is very slightly higher than the passenger side. Two strikes.

If you have the LR UCAs, this is inexcusable, because this is what they are designed to cure. You may just need another technician to do it right. Do you have the instruction sheet on the UCAs to show them the adjustment spec?

4. Apr 29, 2011 at 2:16 PM
    sac130e

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Milton, FL.
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Off-Road 2wd
    I showed the sheet to the tech and he wouldn't even look at. He was a much older guy who seemed old school and wouldn't even know what to do with the instructions and LR UCA adjustments. Owner is great, but I think he let's his people do things the same OLD way.

I will try with the first attempt at a fix and see what happens, but if I have to take it back, they will have to put the old wheels back on fro this. Owner said the alignment machine could damage the wheels. But even if they can't figure it out, who's to say the next shop will do any better. I already paid here and have one year warrant on this alignment.

Using what numbers are in the pic, what should I be looking at for good settings?

Thx

5. Apr 29, 2011 at 2:21 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    you are looking for 0 / 0 / 2.4

6. Apr 29, 2011 at 2:26 PM
    joerussell610

joerussell610 When all else fails read the directions

Member:
    First Name:
    Him
    Making myself at home in your house
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC Sport Edition 4x4
    K&N, fog light mod, remote rear halogen fogs mounted under rear bumper, TRD skid plate, Flux Capacitor, Mr. Fusion upgrade soon
    Silly question here folks but what are you judging the specs on? I mean you have altered factory height right? So where can you base a "SPEC" from?
    When alignment is done now days you have to enter the vehicle info into the alignment computer. All of it's data reads in FACTORY specs. Therefore if you have adjusted ride height then it cant get a true spec to measure to. :crapstorm:

Btw OP we are neighbors. Navarre Beach
    There is an alignment shop in Ft. Walton that does 4x4 and lowriders customs. Good work my dealer group uses them on special jobs. PM me and i'll get you the name

7. Apr 29, 2011 at 3:31 PM
    sac130e

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Milton, FL.
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Off-Road 2wd
    But is it possible to not be able to get it to 0 for what ever reason?
    Also, the square adjusting washer on the LR UCA adjusts the caster..correct?
    Since my caster show in the three's, could I not adjust it back down to the 2.0 range? I orginally set it at 0 to give a 2.0 caster, but I guess this didn't work out as hoped.

Thx

8. Apr 29, 2011 at 3:33 PM
    sac130e

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Milton, FL.
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Off-Road 2wd
    Howdy neighbor,

Sounds good, just not sure of driving all the way out to Ft. Walton for an alignment. But I will keep it in mind.

Thx

9. Apr 29, 2011 at 4:49 PM
    sac130e

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Milton, FL.
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Off-Road 2wd
    Question on the LR UCA's,

The adjustment with the top nut..what exactly is this adjusting again..and should this be done before any othr adjustments are done. If so, what setting should the tech be going for with the UCA?

Just got back from another ride to see if their quick fix helped...and,
    fixed the steering wheel vibe, but still drifts to the right.

I like to be able to walk into this place and tell them what I want to set to (or close too), and not be told by some old tech guy that this is not needed.

Thx

10. Apr 29, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    My understanding on the LR UCAs (which I do not yet have, but have been researching) is that if you put them on the "0" setting with the adjustment cam on the UCA, it adds 2 degrees of caster, which sounds like exactly what you did when you put them on.

So, for the sake of discussion and getting back to ground zero, so to speak, I would think that to get it back to the "stock" degree of insufficient caster, you would have to set the UCA to -2 degrees. The shop would try to align to factory spec (which would be impossible to do), then just adjust the UCA cam back to its "0" setting which adds 2 degrees beyond stock caster.

If this old guy won't even look at the spec sheet you have, he is screwed and you should go talk to the manager, and get someone else who will pay attention.

But I really think this alignment shop is facked, and you should cut your losses and frustration and go elsewhere. Can't fix stupid. Many other folks have had absolutely no problems, and have even had alignment techs tell them how easy these are to dial in.

11. Apr 29, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Correct , the LR UCA's at their neutral setting add 2 degrees of caster

12. Apr 29, 2011 at 6:22 PM
    sac130e

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Milton, FL.
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Off-Road 2wd
    That's what I set it at..0. When you loosen the top nut in and out, what exactly are you changing? When you move it toward the engine you affect..? When you move it toward the tire, you get...?

I will give them another chance, but will encourage the manager to ensure his employees do it correctly. Just want to make sure I tell them exactly what needs to be set first on the UCA.

Thx

13. Apr 29, 2011 at 6:29 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    In and out is your camber adjustment .

Did you not get the instruction sheet with your UCA's ?

14. Apr 29, 2011 at 7:00 PM
    sac130e

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Milton, FL.
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Off-Road 2wd
    I did, but this stuff is all new to me, just trying to learn.
    So camber affects left/right pull while driving?

Thx

15. Apr 29, 2011 at 7:07 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
  16. Apr 29, 2011 at 7:42 PM
    sac130e

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Milton, FL.
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Off-Road 2wd
    Thx, that was helpful...one more question if I can. To redo the alignment the manger wants to reinstall the original wheels because he feels the machines that attach to the wheels would scratch the chrome rims. Is this true or at least a possibility? I wonder if leaving the new wheels on would get a better alignment, but I don't want to risk this tech scratching my new chrome wheels.

Thx

17. Apr 29, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    The wheels will not affect the alignment .

18. Apr 29, 2011 at 7:48 PM
    sac130e

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Milton, FL.
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Off-Road 2wd
    Roger that..thx for the info.

Scott

19. May 6, 2011 at 12:48 PM
    Sawick

Sawick Still not worthy!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    JB MDL, NJ
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport
    T4R TRD Pro Wheels, LED lights, Tonneau Cover, ICI running boards, AVS window/bug

They told me the same thing, take off my Black wheels and put stock back on.. what a pain in the A$$!

20. May 6, 2011 at 1:30 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    The additional caster is not an issue. It will actually track better on the freeway with additional caster. what you will get is a very slightly more force required to turn. you should barely notice this. the fix for the issue of pulling to the right is the difference in caster from left to right. generally more caster on the right. they should get your camber correct though. Dont let them make you change your wheels to get aligned. you should align with your aftermarket wheels.

Products Discussed in

To Top