Notices

1.5" AAL Installed..Now Some New Issues

Old 04-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
sac130e is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Retired
Name: Scott
sac130e's Tacoma Gallery
1.5" AAL Installed..Now Some New Issues

Currentlu had up front: 5100's at 0 setting with OME 884 Coils and LR UCA's. Back had the TSB and 5100's installed, and beside some alignment issues, rode fine.

Today installed the 1.5" AAL and some new issues seem to have developed and wondering if anyone else has heard/seen this.

1. From a stop with normal acceleration, it feels like the truck shutters for a few seconds whle accelerating. Goes away after the speed increases, but very odd to have this now and not before.

2. When coming to a full noram stop, the truck will rock back and forth a few times before stopping. Kind of like a jiggle, where it used to lunge forward when coming to full stop then back and stop rocking. Now it seems to 'Jiggle' back and forth a few times before stopping, like its suspended in jello. Maybe normal for this setup, just seems odd to start now.

Thx,
Scott
Old 04-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Thats a normal drive shaft vibe associated with lifting. you can buy a carrier bearing drop kit and that should eliminate.most of your vibes.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #3

sac130e's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
Thats a normal drive shaft vibe associated with lifting. you can buy a carrier bearing drop kit and that should eliminate.most of your vibes.
From the post here, thought that was only viable for 4x4's? I have a 2wd so didn't purchase that kit.

Scott
Old 04-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you need the CB drop as mentioned earlier .

Also sounds like you have some axle wrap .

I think you are confusing CV and CB .
Only the 4x4's have CV's , but all Tacoma's except Regular cabs have a 2 piece driveshaft and carrier bearing .
Old 04-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #5

sac130e's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Sounds like you need the CB drop as mentioned earlier .

Also sounds like you have some axle wrap .

I think you are confusing CV and CB .
Only the 4x4's have CV's , but all Tacoma's except Regular cabs have a 2 piece driveshaft and carrier bearing .
Is this axle wrap bad for the truck and can it be fixed?
I have the TSB and 1.5" AAL on the rear, should I remove the AAL?
Truck is only 2 months old, don't need to do any premature damge to it just yet.

Thx
Old 04-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #6

sac130e's Tacoma Gallery
Researched the axle wrap thing and am pretty sure this in't what I feel. I have no thumping sound or feel the back wheels hop at all. Have 5 brand new springs on the rear, so pretty sure that's not what I feel.

What I feel is the entire suspension rock to and fro..(very slighty) a couple times when coming to a full stop. No noise or wierd behavior, just seems the suspion is sponge (for a second, till it stops). This may just be a caracteristic of the new suspion being entirely new and not stock anymore.

As for the CB thing, didn;'t think I needed that, but if it is recommend, then I will grab one next week. Are they difficult to install..and do you need alignment after putting it on?

Thx
Old 04-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #7

sac130e's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
what did u TQ the u bolts at?

re-check everything...............

CB drop or shims may be needed....I have vibes from 0-10 but they are subtle. Try sitting passenger while someone else drives. The vibes seem more noticable to me when sitting passenger (seriously).

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...econd-gen.html
All required torques were set to 75ft-lbs.
I don't have a vibe..its just a very slight shudder (sometimes) from a stop till about 2-3 seconds later (less than 5mph) then its gone. I will get another alignment this Monday and hopefully (if they get it right this time) will compensate for the install of the rear AAL.

Thx
Old 04-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
The rocking is indicative of shocks with too little rebound damping. The vibration is the need of the carrier bearing drop.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #9

sac130e's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
The rocking is indicative of shocks with too little rebound damping. The vibration is the need of the carrier bearing drop.
Is this bad for the truck and the shocks..is there a way to fix it or let it ride for abit since its still new and see if it works its way thru.

I unsderstand the CB drop kit, just not sure if that will fix what I have, since I don't have any vibration, just a very slight shutter from stop till 5mph..and not all the time.

Thx
Old 04-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac130e View Post
Is this bad for the truck and the shocks..is there a way to fix it or let it ride for abit since its still new and see if it works its way thru.

I unsderstand the CB drop kit, just not sure if that will fix what I have, since I don't have any vibration, just a very slight shutter from stop till 5mph..and not all the time.

Thx
The CB drop is like $15 and will take you 20 minutes to install . It is worth trying .
Old 04-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #12

sac130e's Tacoma Gallery
Thx, I will give it a try.

On second thought..anywhere else to buy this from.
Toytec wants 13.oo to ship it..no F*** way I am paying more for shipping then the cost of the item

Thx
Old 04-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #13
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
I'd try the CB drop as listed above by OZ-T and torque those bolts to 100 ft. lbs minimum. Same with your new U-bolt nuts. Make sure those are torqued down to 100 ft. lbs. I had some vibe issues when I installed the same lift. Mine are all gone now with the steps listed about.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #14
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
And don't worry about the axle warp or carrier bearing vibes causing damage, you'll be fine for now.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #15
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Recomended torque on carrier bearing is around 30 lb/ft.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #16

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac130e View Post
Thx, I will give it a try.

On second thought..anywhere else to buy this from.
Toytec wants 13.oo to ship it..no F*** way I am paying more for shipping then the cost of the item

Thx
Keep the $24 in your pocket and just live with the vibes when you drive your $30 000 truck .

Problem solved .
Old 04-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #17

sac130e's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Keep the $24 in your pocket and just live with the vibes when you drive your $30 000 truck .

Problem solved .

haha
Old 04-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
Recomended torque on carrier bearing is around 30 lb/ft.
Where do you see that? My manual says 50? I had it at 50 but still had a small vibe. I put it up to 100 and now no vibes at all? If i'm wrong though please don't blame me if you break a bolt
Old 04-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #19

sac130e's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonleblond View Post
Where do you see that? My manual says 50? I had it at 50 but still had a small vibe. I put it up to 100 and now no vibes at all? If i'm wrong though please don't blame me if you break a bolt
Isn't overtorque bad? If so, my whole front end is going to fall off one day.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #20
overtorque is bad when there is something that needs a certain amount of space to flex or move. Like in an engine. You don't want to over torque anything on the head as it will heat up and expand. But as for a bolt that wraps around your axle overtorque isn't really going to hurt anything. But if again i could be wrong...