Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100's able to handle trail armor?

Old 04-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
toytaco1 is a splendid one to beholdtoytaco1 is a splendid one to beholdtoytaco1 is a splendid one to beholdtoytaco1 is a splendid one to beholdtoytaco1 is a splendid one to beholdtoytaco1 is a splendid one to behold
Air Force: Aerial Porter 56th APS
Name: jed
toytaco1's Tacoma Gallery
5100's able to handle trail armor?

I have the 5100's in front and I am using the stock trd offroad coilovers on them set at 2.5, my question is I have an all pro front bumper and a m8000 warn winch I am going to be putting on the weight is about 194 lbs 120 for the bumoper and 74 for the winch. Will my front suspension be able to handle it? Or will I have to upgrade my coilovers?

Thanks
Old 04-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
I think the 5100s will be fine but the coils probably won't and will need to be upgraded. Don't quote me on it though.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
toytaco1 is a splendid one to beholdtoytaco1 is a splendid one to beholdtoytaco1 is a splendid one to beholdtoytaco1 is a splendid one to beholdtoytaco1 is a splendid one to beholdtoytaco1 is a splendid one to behold
Yeah thats my Dilemma and if I need new coil springs then Im just gonna get some fox 2.0 and call it a day. I just dont want to put it on and be like damn no go.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I would probably just go with the fox 2.0s, just make sure they are set up for the additional weight. The stock TRD coils will probably start sagging pretty quick. Hopefully someone else will give their input soon.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
That's overload for your coils.

The stock coils are progressive with a 375lb rate. You've also got them heavily preloaded with that Billy setting. Add a bumper and winch, compressed even more.

For a comparative example, OME 88x series coils for first gens are 500 lb spring rate. Check out the description on Wheeler's site for an idea about application and sag with heavy bumpers/winches. See 881 and especially 882:

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/ometaco.htm
Old 04-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
[QUOTE=scocar;3110331]That's overload for your coils.

The stock coils are progressive with a 375lb rate. You've also got them heavily preloaded with that Billy setting. Add a bumper and winch, compressed even more.

For a comparative example, OME 88x series coils for first gens are 500 lb spring rate. Check out the description on Wheeler's site for an idea about application and sag with heavy bumpers/winches. See 881 and especially 882:

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/ometaco.htm[/QUOTE]

I see where your going I was looking at maybe getting either the 885 or 886 it says 885 for 110+ and 886 for 200 additional with a total of 194 I think 886 is just right. So now that I figured out the spring issue will the 5100 work with the 886?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=toytaco1;3110355]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
That's overload for your coils.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/ometaco.htm[/QUOTE]

I see where your going I was looking at maybe getting either the 885 or 886 it says 885 for 110+ and 886 for 200 additional with a total of 194 I think 886 is just right. So now that I figured out the spring issue will the 5100 work with the 886?
From what I've heard, yes the 5100s will work with the the OME coils. I would PM chris4x4 to be sure.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=kmok;3110380]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toytaco1 View Post

From what I've heard, yes the 5100s will work with the the OME coils. I would PM chris4x4 to be sure.
I didn't realize you had a second gen, so I was a little off.

First, the answer will be yes, they will work. Will the ride be great/optimal? Meh.
I will share that with the 881s and 5100s I have on my first gen, I have been a little disappointed. It is vastly superior to my worn out stock setup, but even set on zero, I don't think the 5100s are enough shock for the OME coils, because the 5100 was designed for the stock coil (different rates).

For a daily driver, I find the ride a bit harsher than I'd prefer. This bugs me enough after 8000 miles that I think I am going to get the OME nitrochargers (which are specifically designed and rated for the OME coils) and swap out the 5100s.

I think it comes down to the fact the the 5100s were designed as a leveling strut for the stock coils. I guess they are good at that, but I haven't used them that way. When you add stronger springs, I don't think they are the best choice. I know folks use them with Eibachs, too, and I understand that those have an even higher spring rate (~600?), and folks are happy with them. So, I guess personal preference is a big factor here.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
Hey I really appreciate the answers, I think after what I have been reading i am going to go with the fox 2.0 from all pro since I live close to them and they are pretty BA.
Guess Ill sell my 5100 make a few pennies and do it right
Old 04-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
Glitterdick

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toytaco1 View Post
Hey I really appreciate the answers, I think after what I have been reading i am going to go with the fox 2.0 from all pro since I live close to them and they are pretty BA.
Guess Ill sell my 5100 make a few pennies and do it right
Yerp. That's what I'm thinking, too.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Yerp. That's what I'm thinking, too.
yeah I figured might as well do it right