Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Excessive CV angles?

Old 04-30-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
Tail Striker
flyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cam
flyboy.co2's Tacoma Gallery
Excessive CV angles?

So I have the toytec ultimate lift on my '08 tacoma, but to me the angles on the cv joints look to be a little much. Wanted to see what other people thought about it. I will mention though that there isn't any driving issues what so ever. The only thing so far is one of the cv boots tore open on the highway, spraying axle grease everywhere. Luckily warranty covers that, so got a new one for free.

Enough talk though! Here's some pictures.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
DrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
Truthfully I'm surprised they covered it under warranty. The angles are a bit much.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
Tail Striker
flyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Alright, so here's another question, lowering the front end by itself without lowering the rear end, will that affect anything? Handling? Tire wear? Because right now it sits perfectly level and I asked the guys at the shop (I don't have a lift to do the job myself) and they told me if i drop the from end, even a small amount, I'd have to take a leaf out of the rear to level it out...
Old 05-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
rizzo20 will become famous soon enoughrizzo20 will become famous soon enough

rizzo20's Tacoma Gallery
The torn boot says it all. The angle is most likely too steep (based off lifted Ram 1500 experiences) . I have zero experience with Toyota but I'm shocked they replaced that boot under warranty with the suspension being modified.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #7
snorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
snorola's Tacoma Gallery
the fins on your cv boots are touching which continue to wear through.

You can lower the front no problem, you will however have to get an alignment again after you lower the front ride height.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #8
Tail Striker

Ok, I'll get it lowered. I just hope I don't have to take out a leaf in the back at the same time. I see trucks all the time that have a rear end a little taller, but I don't know if that's the norm.

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #9
DrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy.co2 View Post
Ok, I'll get it lowered. I just hope I don't have to take out a leaf in the back at the same time. I see trucks all the time that have a rear end a little taller, but I don't know if that's the norm.

Thanks everyone!
The tacoma comes stock with a rake from back to front, so you won't have any issues from that. They aren't even close to level stock.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #10
leveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
leveltwo's Tacoma Gallery
diff drop
Old 05-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveltwo View Post
diff drop
Doesnt really do much. Its been discussed.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #12
Tail Striker

I do have the front diff drop, but I'm going to drop the front. The gentlemen at the shop said having rake would cause problems... I didn't know what they were talking about... and I like the way it looks, so I'll do that.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:34 AM   #13
Tail Striker

Another thing I failed to mention is that I'm saving up for the TC LT kit... so is it worth getting it dropped now, or just waiting it out till I get the LT kit?
Old 05-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #14
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
I dunno... how long will it take to get 10 grand saved up?
Old 05-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #15
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
I dunno... how long will it take to get 10 grand saved up?
doesnt cost 10 grand to get the front end into running condition. 5k for a pretty good set up
Old 05-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #16
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
It's not too hard with the ULK to lower the suspension on the front. Just use a cheater bar and some PB blaster or WD40 with the spanner wrenches they sent. Makes it much easier.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #17
Tail Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
It's not too hard with the ULK to lower the suspension on the front. Just use a cheater bar and some PB blaster or WD40 with the spanner wrenches they sent. Makes it much easier.
I guess I could. have to break open my jacks to lift the front end. I'll do that in the mean time. Thanks everyone!