Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Who has rebuilt their own Icon Coils

Old 05-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
jjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to behold

Name: Big Daddy Woo Woo
jjbeenken's Tacoma Gallery
Question Who has rebuilt their own Icon Coils

I have rebuilt and re-valved all kinds of motorcycle/atv shocks and forks. I'm getting ready to rebuild my Icons and am looking for oil capacity or levels. What weight oil? I Have the std travel and want to remove the spacer for an extended travel shock, I assume there is a shorter spacer to go in its place. For some reason this stuff is top secret. I called Icon and they were pretty hesitant to divulge any info. The only info I found online was on a set of DR's but there is no technical specs just a bunch of obvious pics of the internals. Any input would be appreciated!!
Old 05-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
jjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to behold

Here is an internal look for ya.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=14878
Old 05-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #3

Just built a spring compressor, gettin ready to tear these things apart.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
nice! when you find out the oil kind and level, could you please pass on the info. my pass side is leaking oil and i plan on rebuilding mine before i move to denver. much appreciated!
Old 05-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh2000 View Post
nice! when you find out the oil kind and level, could you please pass on the info. my pass side is leaking oil and i plan on rebuilding mine before i move to denver. much appreciated!
Using 5wt Silkolene synthetic shock oil. You set the dividing piston with the piston shaft and fill all the way up with oil. There's a lot more to it but the rest is basic shock stuff. Some re-builders say its kind of a PITA.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
It really is easy to do a rebuild. Gets a little tricky with resi's but nothing that should hinder your decision on doing the job yourself.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #7

Just disassembled my c/o's. One shock had a small screw come out of the shock piston and had been bouncing around for who know how long. The oil was cooked and nasty. 50k on the set. the other one looked good but the oil was nasty. Kinda pissed on the one shock. How how could that machine screw come out unless it was not installed properly. Going to make a new thread once done so I can show the whole process. Only because there isn't one. More to come.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #8

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...uild-pics.html
pics
Old 06-05-2011, 12:05 AM   #9
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
so whats the average on how many miles you can put on a set of icon coilovers before they need to be recharged?
Old 06-05-2011, 12:29 AM   #11
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony250 View Post
All depends how much you use them , DD or offroad heavily.
Im buying some used ones, off of a member on TW, he does go off road but im sure of the extent. If i do rebuilt them whats the best place to send them, ICON wants like 125 a per shock. Anybody else rebuild them for less?
Old 06-05-2011, 12:53 AM   #12
E-Fabber
Anthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
Anthony250's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
Im buying some used ones, off of a member on TW, he does go off road but im sure of the extent. If i do rebuilt them whats the best place to send them, ICON wants like 125 a per shock. Anybody else rebuild them for less?

I just bought some racerunners 2.0 off a lady like yesterday and rebuilding them myself. Its easy. But i did find burnt black oil inside so its best to have them rebuilt whenever possible. I would say Down South Motosports. Or others usually ive seen $75 and under per shock.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:06 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony250 View Post
I just bought some racerunners 2.0 off a lady like yesterday and rebuilding them myself. Its easy. But i did find burnt black oil inside so its best to have them rebuilt whenever possible. I would say Down South Motosports. Or others usually ive seen $75 and under per shock.
Ok thanks for the help