Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How do I measure for Leveling?

Old 05-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
SwanTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Curtis
SwanTaco's Tacoma Gallery
How do I measure for Leveling?

Can anyone tell me how to measure in order to determine how much lift I need to level my 2007 TRD? I just bought the Bilstein 5100's and want to level the front of the truck. I have not had the TSB done, and I do not have any other lift components installed at this time. I measured from the middle of my wheel to the bottom of my fender (straight up from the wheel) and I get 21 inches front and back????
Old 05-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!
Measure the front from the center of the axel to the bottom of the fender, front and back, then see what the difference is.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
you measure from your axle (center hub) to the top of your fender
Old 05-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Like this:

Old 05-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
Is it normal for the front and back to both be the same on a stock truck? I get 21 inches front and back?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwanTaco View Post
Is it normal for the front and back to both be the same on a stock truck? I get 21 inches front and back?
Generally, The back is about 2" or so higher.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
Kind of stumped by this. I thought that all stock Taco's were in need of ride height leveling?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:07 PM   #8
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Kind of stumped by this. I thought that all stock Taco's were in need of ride height leveling?
None of them NEED it .

You bought the truck used ?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:10 PM   #9
Bought it brand new. I have had major problems with my rear suspension though. Bottoms out often! I wonder if I have worn the rear leafs so much that they lost the 2 inches?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:18 PM   #10
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Bought it brand new. I have had major problems with my rear suspension though. Bottoms out often! I wonder if I have worn the rear leafs so much that they lost the 2 inches?
I wouldn't doubt it , my 4 leaf pack on my '09 had sagged about an inch before I replaced it with Dakars
Old 05-05-2011, 11:18 PM   #11
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thats interesting, my new 2011 measures 19 3/4 front, and 22 rear.

I can't believe they sit so low factory. My 06 prerunner had better ground clearance.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #12

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7XTaco View Post
Thats interesting, my new 2011 measures 19 3/4 front, and 22 rear.

I can't believe they sit so low factory. My 06 prerunner had better ground clearance.
I was about to say , stock is usually 20" up front .
Old 05-05-2011, 11:23 PM   #13
Is it worth putting the 5100's on the front if I do not raise the height at all?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is it worth putting the 5100's on the front if I do not raise the height at all?
What are you trying to do ? Improve the ride ?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #15
Yeah, I blew out one of my rear bilsteins and needed to replace them so I read up on Taco world about the 5100's and leveling the struts. Sounded like a good idea and eventually i will want to AAL to the rear or replace the spring pack completely.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:30 PM   #16
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I was about to say , stock is usually 20" up front .
I measured once, cut twice. Your right, its 20 up front.

That still translates to about 8 1/4 inch clearance from engine skid plate to ground.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:30 PM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, I blew out one of my rear bilsteins and needed to replace them so I read up on Taco world about the 5100's and leveling the struts. Sounded like a good idea and eventually i will want to AAL to the rear or replace the spring pack completely.
5100's all round and an AAL would be sweet , as long as your leaf pack isn't totally FUBAR
Old 05-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

That still translates to about 8 1/4 inch clearance from engine skid plate to ground.
Oh balls

I wasn't questioning you being off by a 1/4" , LOL

I thought the OP's measurement of 21 seemed high .
Old 05-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #19
Quote:

But you still measure 22 in the rear?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #20

A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I don't think you will find anyone on here that will speak badly about 5100s.

Even if you just replace the factory with 5100s at stock, everyone raves about the ride quality improvement. I hope to find out for myself in the next couple weeks.