Notices

fab tech 6'' front suspension

Old 05-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Ruts are the enemy
dirty TaTer is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
dirty TaTer's Tacoma Gallery
fab tech 6'' front suspension

im thinking about purchaseing a fab tech 6inch front suspension lift for my 96 taco. I dont get a good feeling about cutting the cross members for there new ones to be bolted on. has anyone had any problems with fab tech lifts? Ive heard that fab tech has junk ball joints and that they are not meant for serious off roading.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
lvlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlvlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlvlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlvlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlvlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlvlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlvlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlvlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlvlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlvlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedlvlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allan
lvlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
do 3" lift first and see if ur happy and if not then do a 6". it took me almost a year to decide which route to take cuz i didnt want to waste $$ doing both kits. by the way what do u mean by doing only fabtech front suspension
Old 05-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
Ruts are the enemy
dirty TaTer is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
dirty TaTer's Tacoma Gallery
I already have a 6'' lift in the back because my stock springs snapped and i was planing on lifting it anyway so went ahead and got the lifted springs. now the truck looks like a cheese wedge and i know someone who has a totaled taco with fab tech 6'' lift
Old 05-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
FLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty TaTer View Post
I already have a 6'' lift in the back because my stock springs snapped and i was planing on lifting it anyway so went ahead and got the lifted springs. now the truck looks like a cheese wedge and i know someone who has a totaled taco with fab tech 6'' lift
Subed.
I'd like to see this truck if only rear is lifted. Pics please
Old 05-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Just by the way the new xmember that is put in is usually stronger than the OEM one well at least it is on the procomp set up.

If you plan on doing alot of offroading go for a 3in lift
Old 05-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty TaTer View Post
im thinking about purchaseing a fab tech 6inch front suspension lift for my 96 taco. I dont get a good feeling about cutting the cross members for there new ones to be bolted on. has anyone had any problems with fab tech lifts? Ive heard that fab tech has junk ball joints and that they are not meant for serious off roading.

I helped a buddy install a Fabtech 6" kit a few weeks back on a 04

A few things I would do differently.

• order longer brake lines and you wont need to bend your stock hard lines, or move any brackets.
  • clearance the frame liberally on the drivers side rear cross member. The PS lines get really close.
  • Change the steering rack bushings to urethane ones while you are under there. We did the lift and his stock bushings were worn out. The rack would move about .75" left to right when you turned he wheels and it rubbed the PS return line on the new cross member and it eventually leaked.
  • If you can get access to a lift, do it, This is the first one i did on the floor of a garage ( I did mine on a lift). I wont do another one on the floor, it is 10x more difficult and tiring.
All in all, its not that hard, but time consuming if you are using hand tools and rolling around on the floor. The new cross member is beefy and plenty strong. The kit is not really designed for hardcore wheeling ( rock crawling, etc) but for the average weekend warrior it will do just fine. The up travel was somewhat limited more than I thought it would be. If you are going to run the occasional trail, mud hole, or beach, it will hold up just fine.

good luck

Justin