1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

99 Tacoma, for Rallying dirt roads what's a good suspension setup?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by powersnick, May 8, 2011.

1. May 8, 2011 at 10:41 AM
    powersnick

powersnick [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    I have a 99 Tacoma 4x4 ext cab, 2.7 engine. I have a cabin that requires driving on a dirt road for about 15 miles each way. The road isn't well maintained... lots of washboard and small-medium bumps. I'm not interested in jumping and I can't afford a long-travel kit. I want a much smoother ride and better handling when I'm "rallying" these dirt roads. What about this scenario: OME Coilover King Shocks with Camburg UCAs, Deaver 8-leaf spring kit and some sort of rear shock upgrade. I believe I found some Fox reservoir shocks for the rear that would seem to be a big upgrade for the rear. Would this give me the performance I'm looking for? My budget is $2500-$3000 for parts...would spend a little more for a big improvement. Please, any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. May 8, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    shitroc

shitroc Master of War

Member:
    First Name:
    Ant
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Listed in sig.......
    Yep thatll make for a much better ride,you're goin to gain a couple inches of lift in the process.

3. May 9, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    james

james In over my head...

Member:
    Friday Harbor, WA: Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma V6
    What you're suggesting is overkill, in my opinion. All that high-end stuff that essentially will turn your truck into a medium/long travel set-up to drive on washboards? I don't think you need it, but you're the better judge of your needs.

You may want to consider a simple OME set-up. That's *exactly* what Old Man Emu was designed for: washboards/unmaintained roads, 'cause that's what they've got a lot of down under. And, simply put, their engineering works. You could get what you need for $1100 with new coils/nitrocharger sports and new rear leaves and shocks in the back.

I just replaced my front suspension and rear shocks with an OME set-up. I gained more than 3 inches. (Time will tell if it lasts. Things settle...). More to the point: my CV joints don't have a problem angle: I've got a quarter inch between the fins of my CV Boots. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't need to replace my UCAs.

Your mileage may vary. I just think you could be very pleased with an OME set up, which is known to work well on exactly the roads you've described and is well known to be a terrific value for your money. Good luck.

4. May 9, 2011 at 7:05 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    definitely just go with the OME, but honestly if it's just washboard simply going faster smooths out the ride:D:burnrubber:

5. May 10, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    bowhunter11199

bowhunter11199 Well-Known Member

Member:
    what about 5100's with ome/ebaich coils and 5100's in rear with dankar leaf pack?

Products Discussed in

To Top