Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

99 Tacoma, for Rallying dirt roads what's a good suspension setup?

Old 05-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
powersnick is on a distinguished road
powersnick's Tacoma Gallery
99 Tacoma, for Rallying dirt roads what's a good suspension setup?

I have a 99 Tacoma 4x4 ext cab, 2.7 engine. I have a cabin that requires driving on a dirt road for about 15 miles each way. The road isn't well maintained... lots of washboard and small-medium bumps. I'm not interested in jumping and I can't afford a long-travel kit. I want a much smoother ride and better handling when I'm "rallying" these dirt roads. What about this scenario: OME Coilover King Shocks with Camburg UCAs, Deaver 8-leaf spring kit and some sort of rear shock upgrade. I believe I found some Fox reservoir shocks for the rear that would seem to be a big upgrade for the rear. Would this give me the performance I'm looking for? My budget is $2500-$3000 for parts...would spend a little more for a big improvement. Please, any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
Yep thatll make for a much better ride,you're goin to gain a couple inches of lift in the process.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
In over my head...
james has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant future

Army: P.O.L.
james's Tacoma Gallery
What you're suggesting is overkill, in my opinion. All that high-end stuff that essentially will turn your truck into a medium/long travel set-up to drive on washboards? I don't think you need it, but you're the better judge of your needs.

You may want to consider a simple OME set-up. That's *exactly* what Old Man Emu was designed for: washboards/unmaintained roads, 'cause that's what they've got a lot of down under. And, simply put, their engineering works. You could get what you need for $1100 with new coils/nitrocharger sports and new rear leaves and shocks in the back.

I just replaced my front suspension and rear shocks with an OME set-up. I gained more than 3 inches. (Time will tell if it lasts. Things settle...). More to the point: my CV joints don't have a problem angle: I've got a quarter inch between the fins of my CV Boots. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't need to replace my UCAs.

Your mileage may vary. I just think you could be very pleased with an OME set up, which is known to work well on exactly the roads you've described and is well known to be a terrific value for your money. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
definitely just go with the OME, but honestly if it's just washboard simply going faster smooths out the ride
Old 05-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
Banned
bowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to behold
bowhunter11199's Tacoma Gallery
what about 5100's with ome/ebaich coils and 5100's in rear with dankar leaf pack?