Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Squeaky Dakars : Any advice from others with the Dakars ?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #41
Tacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma831's Tacoma Gallery
My Dakar's have been squeaking ever since I went to the snow with them a couple years ago; very annoying. I've just been lubing them up but I think that piece of rubber is a good idea.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #42
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma831 View Post
My Dakar's have been squeaking ever since I went to the snow with them a couple years ago; very annoying. I've just been lubing them up but I think that piece of rubber is a good idea.
My squeak seemed to be coming from the front bushing , but it was actually coming from between the top two leafs right behind the front bushing where there is no isolator .

The squeak was really pissing me off
Old 07-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #43
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Update #2

This EPDM gasket works great to eliminate the squeak I had , the only issue I see , is that the rubber strip tends to migrate towards the front of the leaf over a couple days with normal driving , I have moved both back into position once in the last week .

I am gonna try to figure out a way to restrain them because it is so awesome having a silent leaf pack !
Any update on keeping the gasket in place? I'm gonna try it this weekend, my dakars are creaking like crazy.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #44
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidogrc View Post
Any update on keeping the gasket in place? I'm gonna try it this weekend, my dakars are creaking like crazy.
I was getting too weird about trying to keep it centred .

It has shifted off to one side but is still pinched in there , if the leafs get unloaded and there is a gap , that's when it can move around .

I just check it every so often which is why I think it makes sense to leave the tails of the gasket long , quite frankly , if I had to get under there and replace it or re-position it every three weeks , it would still be worth it for the silence I am enjoying.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #45

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidogrc View Post
Did you try it ?

I got under there and repositioned my rubber strips today , one had worked free .

I gotta figure out a way to keep them in place .

Still worth it for the silence though .
Old 07-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #46
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Did you try it ?

I got under there and repositioned my rubber strips today , one had worked free .

I gotta figure out a way to keep them in place .

Still worth it for the silence though .
I didn't get a chance to. Got called into work. But it's on top of the list of things to do.

I wonder if some sort of adhesive will keep it in place?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #47

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
OK , update

This arrangement seems to work really well in normal conditions , I can't say how well it would work if you were really flexing the pack but for me , the silence is bliss .

I got the 2" strip of EPDM pond liner between the top leaf and the one wrapping the front bushing . I then spread the next leaf set down apart and tucked the long ends of the EPDM strip in between them .

So far , in the last couple weeks , it hasn't moved at all .

Old 09-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #48
Cogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Justin
Cogge89's Tacoma Gallery
Subbing for future use. Mine just started making some noise.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #49

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogge89 View Post
Subbing for future use. Mine just started making some noise.
Spray them out with a car wash sprayer , then get under there and flex the truck up and down and try to figure out if it's from the front or back of the leaf pack .
Old 09-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #50
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Mine started squeaking again... Going to have to find something permanent.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:06 PM   #51

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by capetaco12 View Post
Mine started squeaking again... Going to have to find something permanent.
Front or back of pack ?
Old 09-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #52
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Its the front. I dont know if putting rubber strips in it would stay very long with the way that i abuse my leaf packs. Im going to try to find a way to attach them permantly.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #53

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by capetaco12 View Post
Its the front. I dont know if putting rubber strips in it would stay very long with the way that i abuse my leaf packs. Im going to try to find a way to attach them permantly.
Try it , I've found that pinching the free ends of the rubber strips under the leaf below has kept them there for over 6 weeks now
Old 09-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #54
Cogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Justin
Cogge89's Tacoma Gallery
I have some 3M spray adhesive. Wonder if that would help hold them if I put it on one side?
Old 09-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #55
.<>./

Quote:
Try it , I've found that pinching the free ends of the rubber strips under the leaf below has kept them there for over 6 weeks now
Im going to try that. If it doesnt work im going to try to get my GF to sew me a rubber sock for my leaf spring
Old 05-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #56
BassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Dan
BassMaster06's Tacoma Gallery
My springs don't make much of a squeaking sound, its more of a creaking sound. It started almost immediately after install. I'm coming from the crappy stock non-tsb springs, which definitely had an extremely annoying "squeak". I notice my noise when I start moving from stand still, or stopping while backing up, then moving forward. I'm hoping this is the same noise that is being described in this thread.

My concern is that I probably over-torqued my u-bolts. I tightened the nuts down essentially as tight as I could, without a torque wrench (ignorance at the time). I stopped when I noticed the actual u-bolts beginning to bow outwards from being so tight. Is this bad? I'm afraid if I loosen them up to torque them down properly, the U-bolts will be bent/damaged? Suggestions?
Old 05-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #58
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Taco76087's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
As long as it's same diameter eye hole yes, I would imagine it is. Getting the front pressed in one out would be a bear though, drilling, hacking I would think. I'd make sure it's coming from the bushing and not the leafs before you take on that sorta task.
Or you could just press it out with a press
Old 05-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #59

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco76087 View Post
Or you could just press it out with a press
It's not the bushings
Old 05-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #60
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Taco76087's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's not the bushings
At least you found something that reduced the squeaking. I was about to order some Dakars but idk if I want to deal with a squeaky leaf pack

Products Discussed in this Thread