Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Squeaky Dakars : Any advice from others with the Dakars ?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #141
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
Figured it was something like that. Guess I'll try and find a small pack of pond liner. Quick searches on-line and I'm only finding stuff that is over $100. Might just stick a bike tube in there for now if I can't find any pond liner easily.
Head to a local tire dealer and see if they have any truck/tractor tubes that are junk. They're a lot thicker than bike tubes. I have a chunk from the garage I used to work at
Old 07-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #142
TruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant future

Name: Tru
TruKnight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Figured it was something like that. Guess I'll try and find a small pack of pond liner. Quick searches on-line and I'm only finding stuff that is over $100. Might just stick a bike tube in there for now if I can't find any pond liner easily.
I have some leftovers if you need them. (for a few bucks)
Old 07-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #143
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruKnight View Post
I have some leftovers if you need them. (for a few bucks)
I'll let you know if I can't find anything. I'm sure in a town the size of San Antonio, I can find someone who sells it by the foot.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #144
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
OZ...how did you work the pond liner up in there??? Jack up the truck on stands and stick a screwdriver in there???
Old 07-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #145
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycie View Post
OZ...how did you work the pond liner up in there??? Jack up the truck on stands and stick a screwdriver in there???
Yep
Old 07-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #146
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
I've experimented a couple of things. Mine was the leaves themselves, not the bushings. Cheapest fix seems to be lots of grease between each leaf, full length (as best I could without loosing u-bolts anyway).

For passenger side, I just used a big screw driver to pry a gap in the leaves and then used a needle adapter on grease gun to pump grease between each leaf. Jumped on rear bumper to help smoosh out excess and wiped it off. After a day or so of driving, the grease had worked in to all the spaces and it only squeeks once in a while now. Going on 4 months now. Didn't do anything to driver side at that time and it still squeeks a lot.

This evening, for driver side, I put some 3/16 inch thick plastic on the leaf that doesn't already have a wear pad on it. Then jumped on the bumper and no squeeks at all. Had to put a pad both front and back between the same 2 leaves to completely get rid of the squeek. I can't find my epoxy and I don't want to lose the pads so I took them out and just greased it like I had done on the other side. Those pads are heavy duty vibration isolation pads from McMaster.

I had used A LOT of grease on the passenger side. Used only a little on driver side tonight so we'll see what happens after few days. I may end up packing more in there this weekend if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Squeaky Dakars : Any advice from others with the Dakars ?-img_20130729_181822-leaf.jpg   Squeaky Dakars : Any advice from others with the Dakars ?-img_20130729_181912-leaf.jpg  
Old 07-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #148
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by totmacher View Post
I've experimented a couple of things. Mine was the leaves themselves, not the bushings. Cheapest fix seems to be lots of grease between each leaf, full length (as best I could without loosing u-bolts anyway).

For passenger side, I just used a big screw driver to pry a gap in the leaves and then used a needle adapter on grease gun to pump grease between each leaf. Jumped on rear bumper to help smoosh out excess and wiped it off. After a day or so of driving, the grease had worked in to all the spaces and it only squeeks once in a while now. Going on 4 months now. Didn't do anything to driver side at that time and it still squeeks a lot.

This evening, for driver side, I put some 3/16 inch thick plastic on the leaf that doesn't already have a wear pad on it. Then jumped on the bumper and no squeeks at all. Had to put a pad both front and back between the same 2 leaves to completely get rid of the squeek. I can't find my epoxy and I don't want to lose the pads so I took them out and just greased it like I had done on the other side. Those pads are heavy duty vibration isolation pads from McMaster.

I had used A LOT of grease on the passenger side. Used only a little on driver side tonight so we'll see what happens after few days. I may end up packing more in there this weekend if needed.
Dealership did the exact same thing to my springs... Greased the Hell out of them.. Looked like your pic... Lasted 1 day...
Old 07-30-2013, 03:10 AM   #149
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by totmacher View Post

The majority of people having squeak issues is not the bushing but from that leaf you put the plastic in. Oz already figured that out for us and how to fix it.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #150
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The majority of people having squeak issues is not the bushing but from that leaf you put the plastic in. Oz already figured that out for us and how to fix it.
Actually that and the leaf above that is where most of my noise was coming from
Old 07-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #151

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Actually that and the leaf above that is where most of my noise was coming from
Meh, semantics! Too bad you can't change the title of the thread to "How to fix your squeaky dakars."
Old 08-19-2013, 05:36 AM   #152
cooleronline is on a distinguished road

cooleronline's Tacoma Gallery
I am going to try this stuff

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant-5...PDM+pond+liner
Old 08-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #153

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooleronline View Post
That's EPDM pond liner , same thing I used
Old 08-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #154

Air Force:
Quote:
Nice find! I've been holding off on doing this because I'm too lazy to hunt down the pond liner in affordable quantities. Just ordered this repair kit. I'll install this weekend!
Old 08-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #155

Air Force:
Quote:
I think this stuff is awesome for doing this. It comes with one sheet of EPDM with some sort of adhesive already on one side since it was made for patching pond liners. I just cut that into strips. We'll see how well the adhesive holds up but it's gotta be better than just sticking it between the leafs and hoping it doesn't move. I still folded it down so it's pinched between the 2 sets of leafs for extra security.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #156
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone try UHMWPE tape?
It's cheap and seems durable on any projects I've used it on so far.
Have had a strip of it along my mountain bike frame for years to protect the metal from chain slapping. It's seen plenty of mud & oil without degrading.

I don't know if the adhesive will hold up under the heat and pressure of our springs in the summer but if it does, this stuff should do the trick. If the grease stops working for my Dakars, I either try this or just epoxy in the vibration damper pads I posted pics of earlier.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#76445a761/=o854vn
linking to 1/2" wide just b/c that's the part number I had available. They make it wider of course.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #157
splitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of light

splitbolt's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is more of a creak and it's in the front hanger.
A shot of white lithium grease between the hanger and spring eye and I'm good for 2-4 weeks
Old 10-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #158
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone on the mainland find EPDM rubber pond liner by the foot??? Hawaii only has it in large sheets.. (that I have found so far)..
Old 10-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #159

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitbolt View Post
Mine is more of a creak and it's in the front hanger.
You sure. ?
Old 10-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #160

Air Force:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycie View Post
Anyone on the mainland find EPDM rubber pond liner by the foot??? Hawaii only has it in large sheets.. (that I have found so far)..
Raycie, just buy the kit linked above. Comes with more than enough for this fix and some of it even has self adhesive already on it. Mine's been holding up great so far.

Products Discussed in this Thread